• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sexism in Fate/stay night.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I figured the FS/N discussion in the "What are you watching" thread was starting to derail it, so I thought I'd copy the earlier discussion and start a new thread. The only things removed were a few redundant quotes and parts of a post or two not relevant to the discussion. I apologize if any of this is out of line.

kilaria wrote:
I 100% recommend [Fate/Stay Night] to anyone. I think that no matter what your tastes are, it is top notch and will be enjoyed. I'm even thinking about lending it to a friend who has never watched an anime before. Smile

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Unless you can't stand the sexism that pervades the series.

kilaria wrote:
Not sure what you mean by that... I didn't feel it was sexist at all. Can you be more specific why you feel that way?

the Rancorous wrote:
Shiro: Saber, I can't let you fight!
Saber: But why? I'm a skilled warrior!
Shiro: Its because... you're a woman!

Well, that's what he may as well have said anyways. It got pretty annoying.

kilaria wrote:
I think it was more in his nature to be protective... and I am not overly sensitive of that comment, even being a strong woman myself. LOL

You can't take that comment and think overall the series is sexist. I mean come on, Saber is a woman and the strongest of them all. If the theme of the series itself was 'sexist' then the strong lead would have been a man. Also, he was fine letting Rin fight on her own, so I am assuming that he acted that way towards Saber because spoiler[ he loved her.] That is all speculation of course. Smile It's not like I claim to read the mind of a fictional character. Laughing

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
kilaria wrote:
Not sure what you mean by that... I didn't feel it was sexist at all. Can you be more specific why you feel that way?

Shiro, for one. Now, the series explains his motivation for wanting to protect people as a general wanting to protect everyone, but he only ever applies it towards females, pretty much all of whom are actually stronger than he is. His desire to protect Saber is completely irrational and dangerous. She (and all the other servants) is inhumanly strong and don't really die anyway, as they can be brought back to participate in future iterations of the war. Yet Shiro insists on leaping in to physically defend her when he is physically far weaker and has pretty much no abilities of his own. He only survives because the other masters suddenly decide not to kill him.

There's also the repeated issue of all the females being portrayed as emotionally fragile, undermining their physical or mental capabilites and requiring a man to provide support for their weak feminine psyches. Rin is a far better mage than Shiro, but she's cold, and thus incapable of success until she becomes friends with Shiro. Illya has no friends, and despite Berserker's brute force, can't follow through with victory, and really only wants Shiro to be her big brother. Caster I can't get into without major spoilers, but that's one of the more ridiculous examples in the series. Saber is the worst, as she appears strong and confident at first, but Shiro's repeated insistence on him protecting her despite there being no evidence that she needs protecting wears her down, and we eventually discover that she only ever really wanted a big strong man to protect her so she could act like a proper woman.

kilaria wrote:
You can't take that comment and think overall the series is sexist. I mean come on, Saber is a woman and the strongest of them all. If the theme of the series itself was 'sexist' then the strong lead would have been a man.

Shiro was the lead. He became strong at the end thanks to plot device. Sexist.
Quote:
Also, he was fine letting Rin fight on her own, so I am assuming that he acted that way towards Saber because spoiler[ he loved her.] That is all speculation of course. Smile It's not like I claim to read the mind of a fictional character. Laughing

He didn't let Rin fight on her own, Rin didn't do actual fighting (a little magic, but usually from safe distances). Despite being the more capable mage, she ends up being mere support for Shiro because he's some sort of chosen one type.

the Rancorous wrote:
Just want to clear up that I was not the one calling it sexist, I just immediately thought of that aspect after reading Dorcas's comment. Personally, I thought it just made Shiro look like an ass-hat.
Quote:
I mean come on, Saber is a woman and the strongest of them all. If the theme of the series itself was 'sexist' then the strong lead would have been a man.

Susan Bordo makes a very interesting (and unexpected) take on the whole 'tough woman' thing in her book Unbearable Weight, but I sure as heck am not about to start that kind of debate here as I'm sure the mods will go all Evil or Very Mad .

EDIT: Dorcas's response came while I was typing mine:
Quote:
Now, the series explains his motivation for wanting to protect people as a general wanting to protect everyone, but he only ever applies it towards females, pretty much all of whom are actually stronger than he is.

This is true. I especially saw it with Illya. spoiler[Didn't she kill Shiro's classmate, Shinji, in cold blood? After Saber defeated Rider, Shinji ran, he was already no longer a threat, but Illya kills him anyways. I also remember her bragging about it to Shiro. Shiro wanted Shinji to pay for endangering the lives of innocents, but Illya, who actually killed somebody (not in self-defense, not in battle, but in cold blood) only got the punishment of staying in Shiro's house.] That really was a clear case of preferential treatment.

pparker wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
His desire to protect Saber is completely irrational and dangerous...
insists on leaping in to physically defend her when he is physically far weaker and has pretty much no abilities of his own.

Oh... this! I almost dropped the series after buying it because Shiro reminded me of Raki from Claymore, whom I despise (I was so disappointed that spoiler[he didn't die on his walkabout, which he so should have in the context of the story's setting]). His ignorance gets people injured and his stupidity prevents any amount of reason from getting through to him. But he stays stupid that way, whereas at least Shirou learns.

But I have to say, that's the best analysis of sexism I've read for an anime. I always shut down any political brain cells in watching entertainment, unless it's forced on me, at which point I react negatively and note that author/director for future avoidance. So that subtext didn't register automatically. It also falls in line with traditional Western depictions, so doesn't stand out. I realize that is part of the issue, but just saying... Your description of the subtle subversion of the strength of the females under the auspices of "protection" is spot on and interesting.

Not trying to veer off into politics here. Just wanted to acknowledge the insight.

ikillchicken wrote:
All this Fate/Stay Night bashing is bugging me.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Shiro, for one. Now, the series explains his motivation for wanting to protect people as a general wanting to protect everyone, but he only ever applies it towards females, pretty much all of whom are actually stronger than he is.

Yes Shiro doesn't really get all protective of any guys in the series but then, Shirow only knows about 4 people who aren't trying to murder him. 3 of them are women. So it's not so much that he tries to protect only women. It's that he tries to protect everyone who isn't Archer. I suppose you could conclude from that that it's because he's a man. That's seems largely baseless to me though. Isn't it more likely that Archer is just the exception for some other reason? Like the fact that he's much older than Shiro? (Everyone else is his age or younger). Also, it's probably more reasonable for him to protect his own servant that someone else servant. In fact, he doesn't even really deal with Archer all that much. He's usually in spirit form or whatever it's called. He definitely comes across a whole lot less like a real person than Saber (regardless of gender). Overall, it's not surprising that he wouldn't get the whole protection treatment.

Quote:
His desire to protect Saber is completely irrational and dangerous. She (and all the other servants) is inhumanly strong and don't really die anyway, as they can be brought back to participate in future iterations of the war. Yet Shiro insists on leaping in to physically defend her when he is physically far weaker and has pretty much no abilities of his own. He only survives because the other masters suddenly decide not to kill him.

That makes him an idealistic idiot. Not a sexist.

Quote:

So then is it sexist too in every Shonen series ever where thanks to some plot device the male lead eventually becomes stronger than other more initially capable characters (at least some of whom are women)? People like it when the lead starts weak but gets stronger. You're mistaken to think this is exclusive to FSN or to read into it too much.

Quote:
Rin is a far better mage than Shiro, but she's cold, and thus incapable of success until she becomes friends with Shiro.

I'm really not sure why you'd suggest such a causation. Rin seemed to be doing just fine before she teams up with Shiro. In any case though, clearly Shiro is in just the same situation. In fact, Rin plays a far bigger role in Shiro's success (in even the most basic sense. ie. not getting dead very quickly) than he does in hers. They both work together to stay alive and accomplish their goals but if anyone needed the other it was Shiro.

Quote:
He didn't let Rin fight on her own, Rin didn't do actual fighting (a little magic, but usually from safe distances).

Yeah but Rin is a master. She's clearly not supposed to go in there and slug it out with Berserker hand to hand. She's supposed to send her servant and perhaps support him with magic. All of this she does quite effectively. Just because Shiro is an idiot who doesn't get this concept doesn't mean she should do the same. As you yourself said, it's not smart.

Quote:
Despite being the more capable mage, she ends up being mere support for Shiro because he's some sort of chosen one type.

Well as I said before, the 'chosen one' plot device is hardly specific to FSN. Plus, I'd say she plays more than a support role for the first part of the series. They all seemed to be working pretty equally together until spoiler[Archer got killed. Yeah, that kind of did push her into a support role. But what do you expect? As I mentioned before, that's kind of how the Holy Grail war works. You fight using your servant. Once they're gone you're more or less out or at best in a support role.]

Quote:
Saber is the worst, as she appears strong and confident at first, but Shiro's repeated insistence on him protecting her despite there being no evidence that she needs protecting wears her down, and we eventually discover that she only ever really wanted a big strong man to protect her so she could act like a proper woman.

I think you're letting your preconception that this series is 'sexist' lead you to assume the worst. I really wouldn't interpret it as such. Indeed, she is strong and determined initially. But because of her past she is also perpetually on guard to a fault. Right from the start of the series she treats everything like a war. Just because she eventually comes to let others in and rely on them a bit doesn't mean she's become weak. It means she's become human. It's actually positive development in my view.

Quote:
Illya has no friends, and despite Berserker's brute force, can't follow through with victory, and really only wants Shiro to be her big brother.

Yeah but Illya is like ten. Can't we cut her just a bit of slack here? All of this seems fairly reasonable for a little kid.

Mister V wrote:
Of course Shiro is an idealistic idiot. I don't know where the sexism theories come from. It was written by Nasu Kinoko ffs.
On a side note, I'm really waiting for the movie, since Rin is supposed to play a much greater role there (and Rin is win).
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Yes Shiro doesn't really get all protective of any guys in the series but then, Shirow only knows about 4 people who aren't trying to murder him. 3 of them are women. So it's not so much that he tries to protect only women. It's that he tries to protect everyone who isn't Archer. I suppose you could conclude from that that it's because he's a man. That's seems largely baseless to me though. Isn't it more likely that Archer is just the exception for some other reason? Like the fact that he's much older than Shiro? (Everyone else is his age or younger). Also, it's probably more reasonable for him to protect his own servant that someone else servant. In fact, he doesn't even really deal with Archer all that much. He's usually in spirit form or whatever it's called. He definitely comes across a whole lot less like a real person than Saber (regardless of gender). Overall, it's not surprising that he wouldn't get the whole protection treatment.

You expect me to believe that Saber's supposed to be a teenager too? No way.
As for Archer being less of a "real person" than Saber, she spends most of the series completely devoid of emotion. We only start to see emotion from her when she starts to realize she wants a man to protect her.
Also, given that **SPOILER from the VN never mentioned in the anime but people assume is common knowledge and that's why I know it** spoiler[Archer is actually future Shiro, that just complicates the issue to weird degrees of why he doesn't need to protect Archer.]

Quote:
Quote:
His desire to protect Saber is completely irrational and dangerous. She (and all the other servants) is inhumanly strong and don't really die anyway, as they can be brought back to participate in future iterations of the war. Yet Shiro insists on leaping in to physically defend her when he is physically far weaker and has pretty much no abilities of his own. He only survives because the other masters suddenly decide not to kill him.

That makes him an idealistic idiot. Not a sexist.

If he's such an idealistic idiot, why does he only care about saving Saber, and not any of the other servants? Lancer, Archer, Berserker, they're all guys. Rider already has a man to look after her (and Shinji may have been evil, but Shiro didn't recognize it).

Quote:
Quote:

So then is it sexist too in every Shonen series ever where thanks to some plot device the male lead eventually becomes stronger than other more initially capable characters (at least some of whom are women)? People like it when the lead starts weak but gets stronger. You're mistaken to think this is exclusive to FSN or to read into it too much.

I suppose that's easy to target when you remove it from the context of responding to kilaria's claim that if the series were sexist, it would have a strong male lead.

Quote:
Quote:
Rin is a far better mage than Shiro, but she's cold, and thus incapable of success until she becomes friends with Shiro.

I'm really not sure why you'd suggest such a causation. Rin seemed to be doing just fine before she teams up with Shiro. In any case though, clearly Shiro is in just the same situation. In fact, Rin plays a far bigger role in Shiro's success (in even the most basic sense. ie. not getting dead very quickly) than he does in hers. They both work together to stay alive and accomplish their goals but if anyone needed the other it was Shiro.

Pretty much nothing happened before they teamed up.
So, if Shiro is the idealist, why isn't he the one to sacrifice his victory for Rin rather than her for him? When he succeeds in what she fails to do spoiler[(killing Berserker)], it's not because he has a better plan or more skill, but because he has the necessary plot device. Is this by itself sexist? Of course not, but combined with the repeated refusal of the series to allow the female characters to succeed, it leads in that direction.

Quote:
Quote:
He didn't let Rin fight on her own, Rin didn't do actual fighting (a little magic, but usually from safe distances).

Yeah but Rin is a master. She's clearly not supposed to go in there and slug it out with Berserker hand to hand. She's supposed to send her servant and perhaps support him with magic. All of this she does quite effectively. Just because Shiro is an idiot who doesn't get this concept doesn't mean she should do the same. As you yourself said, it's not smart.
Quote:
Despite being the more capable mage, she ends up being mere support for Shiro because he's some sort of chosen one type.

Well as I said before, the 'chosen one' plot device is hardly specific to FSN. Plus, I'd say she plays more than a support role for the first part of the series. They all seemed to be working pretty equally together until spoiler[Archer got killed. Yeah, that kind of did push her into a support role. But what do you expect? As I mentioned before, that's kind of how the Holy Grail war works. You fight using your servant. Once they're gone you're more or less out or at best in a support role.]

Again, picking apart my replies to Kilaria without taking what they were responding to into consideration.

Quote:
Quote:
Saber is the worst, as she appears strong and confident at first, but Shiro's repeated insistence on him protecting her despite there being no evidence that she needs protecting wears her down, and we eventually discover that she only ever really wanted a big strong man to protect her so she could act like a proper woman.

I think you're letting your preconception that this series is 'sexist' lead you to assume the worst. I really wouldn't interpret it as such. Indeed, she is strong and determined initially. But because of her past she is also perpetually on guard to a fault. Right from the start of the series she treats everything like a war. Just because she eventually comes to let others in and rely on them a bit doesn't mean she's become weak. It means she's become human. It's actually positive development in my view.

Preconception? Where does the idea that I went into the series expecting it to be sexist come from?
Okay, so I've got no problem with Saber becoming more open emotionally, but when that's running counterpoint to Shiro's attitude of being strong enough to protect everyone by himself, that sets a double standard: that it's okay for the man to be the sole protector, but not the woman. This works not just on the physical level, but the emotional one as well, as Saber is shown to need Shiro's manly comfort, but Shiro needs only overcome his own mind.

Quote:
Quote:
Illya has no friends, and despite Berserker's brute force, can't follow through with victory, and really only wants Shiro to be her big brother.

Yeah but Illya is like ten. Can't we cut her just a bit of slack here? All of this seems fairly reasonable for a little kid.

If she were a normal little kid, which she isn't.

Mister V wrote:
Of course Shiro is an idealistic idiot. I don't know where the sexism theories come from. It was written by Nasu Kinoko ffs.

The sexism theory comes from all the females requiring Shiro to save them, despite them being stronger than he is (except Caster, but she has a different man save her). Also, how does it being written by Nasu Kinoko explain anything?
Skylark

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm going with the "Shirou is an idealistic idiot" side. Saber has to rely on Shirou from the beginning; he is where her supply of magical energy comes from. Rin doesn't rely on Shirou to any degree (even when spoiler[Archer dies] she is still in mutual cooperation with Shirou, not relying on him so much as keeping him from dying. Although I guess you could argue that she summoned him as a servant, she was actually relying on him; but holy crap the twisted time logic implications of that are going to hurt my head) and Ilya is a 10 year old who, though not being defenseless, is still nothing more than a mage after Berserker spoiler[gets taken out]. I can see why the sexism issue might be raised but I don't think it's really applicable to this anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, if it is any help, I too agree that Shiro is sexist. I never finished the Anime because, well, it's not my cup of tea, but the way Shiro treated Saber was a particular point of annoyance. He may have thought he was being helpful, but he's so far-gone in his sexism he can't realise that the only ones he ever "helps" are the girls.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Also, given that **SPOILER from the VN never mentioned in the anime but people assume is common knowledge and that's why I know it** spoiler[Archer is actually future Shiro, that just complicates the issue to weird degrees of why he doesn't need to protect Archer.]

Well, my respect for the franchise just got even lower (because how stupid is that), but it does explain a few things. spoiler[I mean, Archer would have been tied for the most stupid character alongside Shiro had he gotten more screentime. Any archer - heck, "archer" is his freaking name - who primarily uses swords is an idiot of a pretty high calibre.]
Skylark

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Well, my respect for the franchise just got even lower (because how stupid is that), but it does explain a few things. spoiler[I mean, Archer would have been tied for the most stupid character alongside Shiro had he gotten more screentime. Any archer - heck, "archer" is his freaking name - who primarily uses swords is an idiot of a pretty high calibre.]

Having said you didn't even finish the series I should just point out that this comment makes you look like more of an "idiot of pretty high calibre" - that being said the anime doesn't really do the visual novel (which is absolutely brilliant) any sort of justice, especially in explaining this kind of thing. But I have no compulsion with blasting you for it because you stipulated the "franchise" and not the animated series.

Archer is not his name, it's his servant calling-card if you will, and he uses swords that he creates as projectiles. His power - spoiler[Shirou's magic - is to create copies of any known sword in existence, and his noble phantasm, the reality marble, kicks so much ass it isn't funny. That's how he ruined Berserker, killing him 7 times before going down.] As with Gilgamesh, spoiler[Shirou got called into the Archer space because he can summon these copies and hurl them at enemies. I'd imagine in other wars he could be possibly summoned as Saber or Caster as well. Lots of servants fall into multiple categories.]

The servants were heroes when they were alive. So if spoiler[Shirou ends up being a hero (which he does), is it really that hard to believe given the kind of idealistic person he is, that he wouldn't continue in life to train and hone his magical and physical prowess so that he can become a servant after death in order to minimize collateral of further holy grail wars? They never stipulated that the heroes necessarily had to come from the past.]

Long story short, don't bash what you don't know.

EDIT: Also I'll just throw this out there since it might help the anime make sense to you, but (heavy VN spoilers) spoiler[the reason archer hates Shirou (himself) so much is because he became bitter after entering so many wars himself about humanity, and can't see the point in his battling anymore. He hopes that by entering the war with Shirou in it, he can kill Shirou and somehow ruin the time loop so that Shirou dies early, never learns to wield his magic properly, never becomes a servant, and thus archer will be freed of his servitude and cease to exist. Of course, the fact that archer exists at all means that he fails this.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Skylark wrote:
Long story short, don't bash what you don't know.

Feel better after your rant?

I did manage to stumble to episode seventeen, for your information. So I'm pretty sure I have a good idea about mediocre the show actually is.

Now, it was the franchise that had a guy called/designated as "Archer" using swords, and therefore it is the franchise that suffers, not just the Anime. The franchise - namely the Visual Novel - spoiler[is what used time travel, which is so outlandish to the setting of the story that it instantly hurts the story's credibility.]

The Anime just copied awful parts of the source material, which may or may not be awful itself (although spoiler[that time travel thing is pretty dire]). Glad I dropped it.

Anyway, can we get back to the confirmed sexism in the show? You know, Fate/Stay on Topic?

Edit: I've read Skylark's response post, and all I can say is "Dude, settle down". By saying we should get back on topic, I was trying to make amends for starting this tangent in the first place.

Oh, and Skylark, I recommend you look up the definition of "time travel" as used by Science Fiction. All you are doing - besides being in a fanboy mode - is embarrassing yourself by showing your ignorance.

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skylark

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:08 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Feel better after your rant?

Not really since you pretty much ignored what I said.

Quote:
Now, it was the franchise that had a guy called/designated as "Archer" using swords, and therefore it is the franchise that suffers, not just the Anime.

I fail to see how the franchise "suffers" from having a guy labeled as Archer using swords, since he uses them as projectiles with virtually every attack, and lets say hypothetically he didn't use them as projectiles but simply fights with swords and is labeled Archer - somehow this hurts the franchise? Do you think people are going to see a character named Archer using swords in a promo video and go "har his name is archer but he's using swords, which genius though that up?" as if western people don't already forgive the Japanese their oft horrendous use of the english language?

Quote:
The franchise - namely the Visual Novel - spoiler[is what used time travel, which is so outlandish to the setting of the story that it instantly hurts the story's credibility.]

Yeah you're right, it's incredibly outlandish to have time travel in a story that revolves around a battle fought with often long dead heroes who are summoned by magi, again often thousands of years after and thousands of miles away from when and where they died - even though it's not really time travel because they're summoning dead spirits from a world where, it is explained, time does not exist. That aside, huge jump in suspense of disbelief there, throwing in time travel.

Quote:
Anyway, can we get back to the confirmed sexism in the show? You know, Fate/Stay on Topic?

Don't back out of a debate that you started claiming to want to stay on topic when it was you that turned it from an argument about sexism in the show to "Fate/stay Night is crappy because of x".

EDIT: Wow, you're real mature. I'm obviously making an idiot of myself, you know, trying to answer your initial issues with a franchise I actually like a lot. You managed to do a good job of acting like you're somehow better than me by not replying to my post, but instead of telling me what the definition of time travel is (since it doesn't matter if you call it that or not, in the slightest) maybe you might actually explain to me why it is, to use your words, "outlandish to the setting of the story", a claim which you brazenly made which doesn't make any sense at all.

I mean you say archer is the stupidest character in the anime because he uses swords.... and then follow this up by saying the franchise is in dire straights because it uses time travel as a plot device? Am _I_ really the one embarrassing myself? You haven't so much as tried to address my response, and instead make strawman arguments attacking my credibility by labeling me as a fanboy. How about you show me the respect I've shown you in giving decent reasoning for your line of thought, instead of blatantly insulting a very popular and well received work (anime aside, because I'm not trying to defend the anime in any way) and then insulting me for defending it.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quote
The theme in Fate/Stay Night you're looking for is called chivalry not sexism. The two are sometimes related or mistook but the former stems from more nobler intentions than the latter.

Dictionary.com wrote:
chivalry

The methods of training and standards of behavior for knights in the Middle Ages. The code of chivalry emphasized bravery, military skill, generosity in victory, piety, and courtesy to women. (Compare courtly love.)

You treat women special because you admire them not because they're somehow lower than you. I mean am I sexist because I help elderly people across ice in parking lots and hold doors open for women? If so, then I'm glad to be.

Last edited by Kruszer on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
The theme in Fate/Stay Night you're looking for is called chivalry not sexism.

I cannot agree with that at all. Being courteous to a woman means being polite, well-mannered, helpful and perhaps protecting them when they need protecting. Saber did not need Shiro to protect her, and he was not being helpful in demanding that she stop fighting. That is not chivalry, it is plainly him believing that women shouldn't fight. I mean, what about her wishes, her desires, what she wants to do? He completely ignores them. Because she's a girl. Ergo, sexism.

Edit: typo.

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
It is mentioned somewhere above the Illya is 10 years old. That's not the case. She's actually somewhat older than Shiro. So is Saber. Saber stopped aging when Saber became king of a certain kingdom.

As for Shiro: he feels he needs to protect everyone. And the people who need protecting the most are the weak. He has said he will protect them whether they want him to or not, whether they like him for it or not. He'll even do it if they hate and revile him.

In the VN, we learn that he went around protecting people all over the place (this is after the time of the war). He wanted to be a superhero, so he did pushed himself to do the things he thought a superhero should do. He *knew* he was being naive, but felt holding fast to his ideal was all that mattered. This is why Archer hated Shiro.

Anyway, I'm sort of on the fence about whether or Shiro was sexist. I think it mostly depends on how you interpret what he was trying to do. Remember that in Fate/Stay Night, he fell in love with Saber pretty much at first sight, and all men seek to protect the thing they love. Was he being a dunderhead? Yes, but I don't think he wanted to protect Saber because he felt less for her, but rather he realized that Saber didn't really want to fight, but did so out of a sense of duty (to fix her mistake), and he thought he could help mitigate that by trying to fight for her instead.

So, I don't think Shiro was intentionally sexist. The men we see in the anime (and the VN) are all pretty much either bad people, or not-so-nice-people. And he would've tried to protect Shinji if Shinji had allowed him to, but Shinji didn't.

The VN does a much better job explaining Shiro's actions and motivations (of course). Still, I can see how people can claim he was being sexist.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I cannot agree with that at all. Being courteous to woman means being polite, well-mannered, helpful and perhaps protecting them when they need protecting. Saber did not need Shiro to protect her, and he was not being helpful in demanding that she stop fighting. That is not chivalry, it is plainly him believing that women shouldn't fight. I mean, what about her wishes, her desires, what she wants to do? He completely ignores them. Because she's a girl. Ergo, sexism.

You're ignoring the fact that Saber is also a headstrong, blockheaded person who recklessly charges off to fight on numerous occasions during the series without a plan. Like Shiro she's not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed either and her decisions aren't always rational and she makes mistakes. I'd say at points she did need to be protected or her foolhardy actions like spoiler[Ignoring Shiro's advice and storming the temple by herself] could have got her killed, just like all the stupid idiotic things Shiro did could have easily resulted in him dieing.

Last edited by Kruszer on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Dictionary.com wrote:
chivalry

The methods of training and standards of behavior for knights in the Middle Ages. The code of chivalry emphasized bravery, military skill, generosity in victory, piety, and courtesy to women. (Compare courtly love.)

Okay, but Shiro is a man existing in modern day society, not the middle-ages. Does anybody nowadays still even use this word to describe others' behavior? I sure have never met one.
And I could go into how woman were... 'valued' in the age where this word held importance, but we really don't need to open that Pandora's Box.

Anyways, I'm going to go back to my Susan Bordo reference since it won't derail this thread.
Like I said, Bordo talks about the new "tough girl" trope in cinema and how it still evokes sexism in its tough girl characters. She uses Sigourney Weaver's character, Ripley from Aliens. The link is posted in the first post, you can probably find links to quotations from the text I'm referring to through that.
Well, what Bordo says is that this kind of representation only puts the socially idealized traits of both genders onto the female character. Ripley blew up aliens, masked fear, raided the alien nest, etc. But, she also nurtures Neut and even calms high-emotions and tempers of the male characters and you can even argue that she starts to fall in love. Thus, the woman is not empowered so much as she is further burdened.

Where am I going with this? Saber.
Saber is a valiant warrior, fights ridiculous bad-guys, masks fear and pain, and does all of the things the usual male good guy would. Then later on, she falls in love, deals with Shiro's affections, worries about her looks, gets jealous of Shiro, ect. The whole time she still has to fight and be physically strong. So basically, Saber fits this exact description that Bordo is criticizing: she is not a strong female character who breaks traditional ideals, she is simply a female character who has been slapped with both of the genders' stereotypes. This is what stuck out most to me. It urks me that many people would call Saber an example of a well-made anime female character, because she so is not; she is even more idealized and stereotyped than most.

That's my take.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:33 am Reply with quote
The point is that Shiro (even though he can't fight for crap) embodies these ideals of wanting to protect people from harm and be courteous to women. But yeah as you noticed from character's reactions to his ideals....well they all think he's a fool with an unrealistic dream. Perhaps a message the series is trying to portray is "the death of chivalry".

On the other hand maybe the show is just simply about magical beings in melee combat with cool costumes beating the crap out of each other for a frikin' cup that grants wishes to a Kenji Kawai score instead of being psychoanalyzed for allusions of sexism or chivalry. Razz
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:40 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
The theme in Fate/Stay Night you're looking for is called chivalry not sexism. The two are sometimes related or mistook but the former stems from more nobler intentions than the latter.

I might buy into this argument, except that spoiler[Saber is King Arthur,] which just makes it ironic. Also, that Shiro is incompetent for most of the series. His buffoonery is more in line with Don Quixote than the Knights of the Round Table.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
So, I don't think Shiro was intentionally sexist.

It doesn't have to be intentional to be sexist. He tries to protect the women because he doesn't think they can protect themselves. If they were, he'd be totally justified, but he sees them as weaker than him when they are not. That is why he is sexist.

Kruszer wrote:
On the other hand maybe the show is just simply about magical beings in melee combat with cool costumes beating the crap out of each other for a frikin' cup that grants wishes to a Kenji Kawai score instead of being psychoanalyzed for allusions of sexism or chivalry. Razz

Maybe it is, but maybe what we don't think about when we say things and tell stories reflects how we think about society and sex and anything else.
zgripţuroicǎ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:54 am Reply with quote
I haven't watch FS/N yet, but just one comment on anime based on visual novels in general. I think I'd be more surprised if they didn't have sexism than if they did. With you run of the mill visual novel (not dealing with yoai, particularly), these are anime based off of source material created primarily by men, as far as I know, and intended for other men. Often, they're rather immature, and focused very much on women simply as concerns sex. Not trying to bring up the whole "you're not the intended audience, ergo you opinion doesn't matter" bit, because anyone can enjoy a show regardless of whether they fit into the demographic ranges the studio was going for.

Still, when they know that the majority of their potential customers are horny young men who played the VN, I don't think they're going to put a whole lot of thought into how women are going to perceive things. They really don't care too much if their show offends women, and it shows in the series quite a bit. I have a feeling I'll have some hate thrown my way for saying it, but just because you can't stand it when something's sexist doesn't necessarily make it bad. I realise you only say that you don't like the show because of it, and don't flat out say it's garbage.

Bottom line is like this. I don't like hentai. Because of this, if I start watching a show and it goes too far in that direction, I stop watching it and chalk it up to personal tastes. Likewise, I don't go to strip clubs because I find the idea of them repulsive. If for some reason I wound up at one, at wouldn't act so shocked or mortified to learn that it was a sleazy, disgusting place. You know you don't approve of sexism, so if a show crosses your personal boundaries, shelf it, voice your disapproval a couple times and let it be. Unless someone asks you what you think of it, posting about it repeatedly is probably going to attract more of the fanboys and trolls than your own kind.

With those generalizations about VN based animes out there, I've said my bit. I haven't seen FS/N, so I don't know how accurate what I've mentioned is with it, so I'll only be posting again in this thread if someone responds to this. If you'd prefer I stay out of the rest of the thread, just ignore this post and you won't see any more of me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4