• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you have parents that make fun of anime?

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel Lily

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:16 pm Reply with quote
My dad makes fun of the anime I like by calling them by the wrong names: Inchnynura (Inu- Yasha), Incpetor Yugi (Corretor Yui) Cardcaptor Sakura Wars (a mix of Cardcaptor Sakura and Sakura Wars), Tokyo Meow Meow (Tokyo Mew Mew) and Tenchi Munzus (Tenchi Muyo). Also he makes fun of me hating peaches yet likeing Wedding Peach. But the wrost is when he sings his verson of the 6th season theam song of Pokemon: "I wanna eat a hero. With lots of meat and cheese. I wanna eat a hero. No thin sandwhiches for me. I wanna eat a hero". Does any one have parents like that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
UberTai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:20 pm Reply with quote
My dad ocassionally makes fun of me for liking anime, mostly pronouncing the 'anime' wrong on purpose, and 'speaking' Japanese when ever I want to buy an anime DVD online.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
God_of_Evil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:32 pm Reply with quote
You guys should've done like me and tell your parents: "I like Anime" and say nothing else. If they want to know what it is, they'll ask. In fact, I think my parents don't know alot about my Anime obsession, or life even.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. Speaking as a dad myself, I should say that this is a known phenomenon.

It's called Dad Humour.

Fathers tend to make jokes that are perceived as wildly inappropriate and sometimes embarassingly immature by their offspring. The same jokes which might be only mildly lame when told by yourself or one of your peers, will be the height of bad behaviour when told by your dad. That's just the way the generation gap works.

Turning things around, kids (especially teens) tend to have no grasp of irony, at all. So things that are meant in good humour will often be misinterpreted as deliberate scorn. Consider that you might be taking things completely the wrong way - and need to lighten up and grow a sense of (ironic) humour.

Bottom line: be glad your dad makes the effort to poke good-natured fun at your interests - it shows he's paying attention to them. However embarassing you might find it, that's still a great deal better than being ignored.

- abunai

P.S. I rather like those hero song lyrics. I wonder if your dad would mind if I borrowed them, to torment my own kids with? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:54 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Hmm. Speaking as a dad myself, I should say that this is a known phenomenon.

It's called Dad Humour.

Bottom line: be glad your dad makes the effort to poke good-natured fun at your interests - it shows he's paying attention to them. However embarassing you might find it, that's still a great deal better than being ignored.

Amen. I'd rather my dad make the occasional "Annie-May" crack (Annie-may...anime...get it?) than just mutter "the hell is this shit?" every so often. It's all done with good intentions, just learn to laugh along with it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gekigangar3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:15 pm Reply with quote
At first my mom just wrote it off as little kid cartoons. But then she watched a few of Hayou Miyazaki's (sp?) movies with me, and she gained a whole lot of respect for it. She also loved GTO because she is a teacher, and although she couldn't relate to a lot of stuff he does, she thought it was a hillarious look at the profession.
Angel Lily

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Shoot I forgot other then saying the names wrong, teasing about peaches and changing the Pokemon theam song into a song about eating sandwiches he often says "who is that friend of yours Anna-May" or "Is'nt it that show on E!".

Last edited by Angel Lily on Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Lone Wolf and Cub

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:26 pm Reply with quote
At first my parents just kind of ignored the fact that I loved it so much, and they thought I would eventually grow out of the stage of "still liking cartoons" as they put it. That however, was seven years ago so now they officially have noticed that my love for anime probably will not go away.

My dad kind of pokes fun at me, but he's actually had conversations with me about anime a few times, and he likes the Cowboy Bebop music that I listen to.

I think it would be funny to have my parents make fun of a theme song to Pokemon if I was still watching that at 21. So do my parents make fun of anime? No not really because we've talked about why I like it before, and my reason was good enough for them because they have not bothered me about it since Smile .

~LoneWolf
GoldHawk021

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:47 pm Reply with quote
When I was younger and I used to watch digimon. My dear mother used to tell me.
Quote:
Girl what the hell you looking at those crazy ass monsters destroying thier heads off I swear, kids
these days...
Personality I enjoy my dear mother telling me these things cause at least she knows what I'm
watching. And she loves that her 19 year old daughter still watches anime.
YUGI

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:15 pm Reply with quote
My dad doesnt make jokes cause i dont make fun of his shit he watches. He lets my spend my money cause i aint no fanatic and i love all cartoons.
C_Brightshadow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:42 pm Reply with quote
You guys are lucky. I've been so afraid that my mother would destroy my anime that I prepetually hid it. Sad (actually, I still hide them, but I know that she won't destroy it now) She wouldn't call it anime (doesn't know the name, and the ethic mockery doesn't work because we're Korean), but cartoons in a very snide way that implies that it's for six year olds.

Dad doesn't care too much. Just casts a blind eye. I love my dad...
Kisaki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:02 am Reply with quote
My parents are morons. My mom constantly says things like, "I can't believe you're 15 and you still get up on Saturday morning to watch cartoons." My dad on the other hand, doesn't really give a flying rat's ass.

However, when I told my parents I wanted to use the money I'd saved to buy anime DVDs, it became a huge seen.

My mom said something like "You don't need to waste you're money on some stupid immature videos!" Then my dad asked "don't they show it on tv?" Which, they didn't.
GoldHawk021

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:08 am Reply with quote
Kisaki Wrote:
Quote:
My parents are morons. My mom constantly says things like, "I can't believe you're 15 and you still get up on Saturday morning to watch cartoons." My dad on the other hand, doesn't really give a flying rat's ass.

However, when I told my parents I wanted to use the money I'd saved to buy anime DVDs, it became a huge seen.

My mom said something like "You don't need to waste you're money on some stupid immature videos!" Then my dad asked "don't they show it on tv?" Which, they didn't

c'mon don't say that. The reason why they say that is that they don't want you regret the money you wasted.I used to have the same promblems. But all you got to say is " I'ts my money and I'm going to use it my way." Personality I never like when people start insulting thier parents. ( No offense Kisaki.)Parents just want the best for you.
Mitsuhide A.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:23 am Reply with quote
My mom used to make fun of my watching anime. She was very obnoxious. She would do things like talk as loud as possible while i was watching a show and mimick the characters on the screen. She would say things like "how can you stand watching those shows!" After a while she stopped making fun of the shows and i stopped watching the shows around her. Its worked out for the both of us. Very Happy
gzilla04

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:26 am Reply with quote
My parents dont make fun of it but when I get dvds from BB they ask alot of questions about it since alot of anime has some type of sex symbol on it. But overall they dont care since alot of them are rated 13+.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 15