• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach Ends Watchmen's 11-Month Run as #1 Graphic Novel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:13 am Reply with quote
LeoKnight25 wrote:
Titles ranging from super hero epics like Spider-Man, Superman, Hulk, Batman, Wonder Woman, X-Men. Disney comics, Witchblade, Vampirella, Wild Cats, Archie, Sonic the Hedgehog, etc. So, just because I haven't read those particular titles does not make me unfamiliar with American comics.

He said unfamiliar with a lot of American comics and based on this pool of experience...yeah you kind of are. Granted this covers a lot of the more commonly read stuff and if that's what you enjoy then that is of course okay. However, there is a whole lot more out there that I'd encourage you to check out. Especially if you're interested in stuff that's more deep or thought provoking.
arachneia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
LeoKnight25 wrote:
Second, I thought I just said I'd been reading comics basically my whole life. What about that didn't compute?

What about you reading comics your whole life has got to do with "a lot of American comics"? You could have been reading some British stuff, for one, or you could have been reading one of those ever-goddamn-lasting series like X-Men - which is apparently the case. Reading long franchises for a long period of time does not translate into familiarity. I mean, I've been reading Asterix and Lucky Luke since I was 5, but that doesn't make me an expert on French comics. You're getting defensive for no reason.

Anyway, my point was that someone well-versed in the American comic scene would not think that Watchmen is the comic-book pinnacle of depth and acumen.

Last edited by arachneia on Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote
arachneia wrote:
Anyway, my point was that someone well-versed in the American comic scene would not think that Watchmen is the comic-book pinnacle of depth and acumen.

Eh? And why not? I consider myself well-versed, and if I had to pick a random title out of them all for the "comic-book pinnacle of depth and acumen" I'd probably pick Watchmen. Yes there are other titles out there, and ones I enjoyed a heck of a lot more than watchmen, but I love how gritty Watchmen is. I love how Rorschach is a psychopathic Conservative in the vein of a hard boiled detective novel, and the other politics they work in. I love that Dr. Manhattan is the lonely god questioning humanity through the whole thing, or the way Moore presented how he's at all those random points in time at once. I love the gross, "this is what would really happen with surperheros/vigialties" out of shape and on the verge of overweight Night Owl, or the extremely logical Ozymandias. I love how Benard and Bernie are our only look at the everyday people and what the regular world thinks in all the insanity that is Watchmen, and how you don't really know WTF the Black Freighter is until you realize it's a parallel commentary on the current events in the book. And the whole Under the Hood excerpts and other random articles giving back story and side story at once gave Watchmen so much additional depth you could probably teach a class on Watchmen alone for a sequential arts major.

Most of all I love how Watchmen did all it did in one volume, and then was ended. You don't have to read more than one book, or fight over which volume has the best story. It's all right there, that's all there is, something very hard to find in American comics and manga, and pretty much everything else.

Reading Watchmen all the way through the first go I was left with just a plain "Whoa" from my lips, flabbergasted as to what I read, and left thinking about it for day,s replaying parts in my mind, and even going back to stuff, investigating in hindsight what I may have missed or didn't fully understand the first go. It was even more fun re-reading the thing months later to get even more out of it. Watchmen is the book that keeps giving in any age, and Moore is George Orwell freshly escaped from the insane asylum in need of a bath.

Yes, this is all my opinion, but I don't see how I'd be wrong to label Watchmen as the comic-book pinnacle of depth and acumen. There are titles out there I love a heck of a lot more than Watchmen, but Watchmen stands out and gives you tons to think about in a single volume. The first volume of Preacher, or even Sandman (which I love more than any other comic out there) can't have the same thing said about them. Over time they do their thing, but you can't just give a random volume to some person unfamiliar with the series and expect the same kind of impact or discussion as Watchmen.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't know. I would certainly agree that there has been plenty of stuff on the same level as Watchmen. I wouldn't entirely disagree with someone who said it was in their opinion the all time best though. I don't know if I'd agree either but it at least seems like a reasonable opinion. Then again, I'm relatively new to comics. I really only got into it a couple years ago and while I've been reading at a furious pace, there is a lot I haven't read.

GATSU wrote:
As for Preacher, it sounds like a Frank Miller-wannabe, but with religious commentary to make it come off "intellectual".

It's amazing how all your opinions seem to be based off what American comics 'sound like'. Have you ever tried actually reading one? Then you could post an informed opinion instead of talking wildly out your ass.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I just want to make this absolutely clear: I am not unfamiliar with *a lot* of American comics. Maybe the whole Vertigo scene but, I don't chalk it up to inexperience, I just choose not to read all these titles that everyone and their grandmother praises as "Oh so good" or whatever. That doesn't make me inexperienced.

Again, I did say I was familiar with them, but not anything beyond passing knowledge. I've browsed through and read some of most of the titles folks have mentioned, or at least had the plots recited to me by several friends. I don't care for them. Sandman, Watchmen, the Dark Knight Returns, Fables...basically anything from Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Mark Millar, Frank Miller, Garth Ennis...I don't enjoy any of these guys' works. I've read many different stories from each and I don't like the pretentiousness of the work. I've been reading American comics alone for at least 25 of my 29 years, so I highly doubt that adds up to inexperience. That doesn't take into account all of the manga, the manhwa, the manhua, French comics, Italian comics or any other comics I've read from any number of countries that have been translated into English. I could go into so much more depth about this, but this is an anime forum and I've gotten so far off topic with just defending my position, so I'll leave it at this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
arachneia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:39 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Eh? And why not?

I think I said this before - it's because Watchmen is deconstruction for the sake of deconstruction. So much time is dedicated to scrutinizing this scenario of super-heroes in real life, and trying to explain the psychology of the people who are willing to do it, but the bottom line is that this has never happened. It is not in human nature to play vigilantes for the sake of complete strangers, and certainly not to do it at high risk and in retarded costumes. It just doesn't ring true to me. Putting the concept of masked heroes into a real-life-like scenario ignores the primary reason for superhero comics, which is basic escapism. As a result, it seems like a pissing contest to me, a "look, guys, at what I can do" sort of thing; it may have great characterization and social messages, but I can't get over the feeling that it's just an exercise in deconstruction.

Quote:
The first volume of Preacher, or even Sandman (which I love more than any other comic out there) can't have the same thing said about them. Over time they do their thing, but you can't just give a random volume to some person unfamiliar with the series and expect the same kind of impact or discussion as Watchmen.

Conversely, I think the few pages dedicated to the Endless Nights chapter "What I've Tasted of Desire" are brilliant, and say much more than any single chapter of Watchmen.

LeoKnight25 wrote:
I just want to make this absolutely clear: I am not unfamiliar with *a lot* of American comics. Maybe the whole Vertigo scene but, I don't chalk it up to inexperience, I just choose not to read all these titles that everyone and their grandmother praises as "Oh so good" or whatever. That doesn't make me inexperienced.

Right. Well, whatever. If, to you, familiarity means knowing a title, that's fine, but that still doesn't equip you with the first-hand knowledge needed to determine that no other American comic can surpass Watchman in profundity. I didn't mean to insult you or make you launch into a tirade, but you are denigrating a whole bunch of authors and their works without even having bothered to read them.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:36 am Reply with quote
arachneia wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Eh? And why not?

I think I said this before - it's because Watchmen is deconstruction for the sake of deconstruction. So much time is dedicated to scrutinizing this scenario of super-heroes in real life, and trying to explain the psychology of the people who are willing to do it, but the bottom line is that this has never happened.

"This is an imaginary story. Aren't they all?"

You don't like it, fine. Just don't bend over backwards trying to convince everyone else why they shouldn't like it.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:54 am Reply with quote
LeoKnight25 wrote:

Please just read back what you wrote there and tell me it doesn't seem contradictory to you. If everyone says a comic is good then you deliberately don't read it. Then you insist that you're not unfamiliar with a lot of comics even though by your own words here you are stating that you will deliberately avoiding reading anything that receives a lot of praise. Look, I'm not trying to critique your reading choices. You can certainly read whatever you like. But if you're going to deliberately avoid reading comics that receive a lot of praise, it's really pretty silly to insist you're not unfamiliar with a lot of stuff.

arachneia wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Eh? And why not?

I think I said this before - it's because Watchmen is deconstruction for the sake of deconstruction. So much time is dedicated to scrutinizing this scenario of super-heroes in real life, and trying to explain the psychology of the people who are willing to do it, but the bottom line is that this has never happened. It is not in human nature to play vigilantes for the sake of complete strangers, and certainly not to do it at high risk and in retarded costumes. It just doesn't ring true to me. Putting the concept of masked heroes into a real-life-like scenario ignores the primary reason for superhero comics, which is basic escapism. As a result, it seems like a pissing contest to me, a "look, guys, at what I can do" sort of thing; it may have great characterization and social messages, but I can't get over the feeling that it's just an exercise in deconstruction.

I can see where you're coming from although I don't entirely agree because to me, Watchmen is still ultimately a non-realistic, escapist superhero story. Yes, it does offer a more realistic take on superheroes but as you said, superheroes are inherently unrealistic and so is Watchmen. From there, I guess maybe it's a matter of perspective. You see deconstruction for it's own sake. I think it's still worthwhile to deconstruct the superhero concept even if it's just essentially a 'what if'. It still makes for an extremely enjoyable story with great characterization even if it is still ultimately an escapist superhero fantasy.

fuuma_monou wrote:
You don't like it, fine. Just don't bend over backwards trying to convince everyone else why they shouldn't like it.

Dude, it's called a discussion. littlegreenwolf asked why not. arachneia explained. How is anyone 'bending over backwards'.
nqm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:55 am Reply with quote
Now i think the Japanese manga have many advantages over American comics. One you get better value with a manga volume than a single issue comic book maybe even a trade paper back depending on the size of the volume. You pay 3-4 dollars for a 32 page color comic with ads or pay around 10 bucks and get triple the pages. Also the work ethic of the manga-ka is appreciated that you don't have to wait months/years for a comic to be shipped to complete a story arc *coughsJoeMadureiraKevinSmithcoughs*

Terry Moore's Strangers in paradise while I've never actually read it (shame on me because i didn't know where to start for the series is massive. ) It was a critically acclaimed where the protagonist women were drawn a little more realistically than they are usually portrayed in American comics ( usually without pants and wearing as little as possible and posture that would make a chiropractor wince. J Scott Campbell I'm looking at you. ) I think it would be a definitely friendly title for shoujo manga readers as it centers around the complicated relationship triangle between the three main characters. It's kind of the closest we got to shoujo but it's an eisner award winner and also received a GLAAD award
arachneia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I can see where you're coming from although I don't entirely agree because to me, Watchmen is still ultimately a non-realistic, escapist superhero story. Yes, it does offer a more realistic take on superheroes but as you said, superheroes are inherently unrealistic and so is Watchmen. From there, I guess maybe it's a matter of perspective. You see deconstruction for it's own sake. I think it's still worthwhile to deconstruct the superhero concept even if it's just essentially a 'what if'. It still makes for an extremely enjoyable story with great characterization even if it is still ultimately an escapist superhero fantasy.

It is definitely a very enjoyable story, and it is clever and worth reading. I'm just trying to say that it's not without its flaws. I wouldn't necessarily call it escapist either, but that would vary from person to person, I suppose. I never meant to say that it wasn't a good story - I just think that people are throwing superlatives around a little too carelessly.

On an off-hand note, I'm in the middle of reading Bone, and it's adorable.

nqm wrote:
Now i think the Japanese manga have many advantages over American comics. One you get better value with a manga volume than a single issue comic book maybe even a trade paper back depending on the size of the volume. You pay 3-4 dollars for a 32 page color comic with ads or pay around 10 bucks and get triple the pages.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here - you're comparing an issue of a comic to an entire volume of manga. Of course the volume is going to be cheaper, what's your point?

Anyway, I'm not biased either way, I don't care what country it comes from, but I do find the larger and thinner formatting of American and European comics a little more reader-friendly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8