• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Noragami Aragoto

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
secondkas wrote:
On another topic, Yato's little shrine would obviously be regarded as inconsequential

It probably isn't inconsequential on an existential basis. I understood that a kami without a shrine was in danger of going extinct. If so it is actually pretty major.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:19 pm Reply with quote
There are also little roadside (and elsewhere) shrines to local dieties all over Japan. Hiyori's was a bit smaller than even those, but while they're not very big, they're still meaningful. (see Natsume Yuujinchou episode 2 for a poignant and relevant example)
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
The shrine at the end was so precious. I was holding back tears right along with Yato. This episode was a nice break from the series, now I'm ready for sh!t to hit the fan next week xD
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Doodleboy wrote:
Covnam wrote:
The beginning felt off in it's pacing with a quick moment of pause before Yato is about to sever his ties to Hiyori and then time skip and a few moments later, everything is the same.

It's because they changed it from the manga. Originally it was supposed to be a cliffhanger, but they decided to just truncated that portion (and that material got covered in the OVA's). So right to the next dramatic arc.

Makes sense, thanks for the info Smile It definitely seemed like a cliffhanger intended moment.
secondkas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
It probably isn't inconsequential on an existential basis. I understood that a kami without a shrine was in danger of going extinct. If so it is actually pretty major.

Yup, that's the point, that's why I followed it with "to the common eye", right?~ Meaning, some people might not regard it as a true shrine at face value (since most shrines are not built like a toy and carried in a paper bag; honestly, with its size, skewed gate, and the drawing of Simplified Yukine at the back, do you feel its air of sanctity?), but not everyone is privy to how important it is, regardless of form, to the gods. Apparently very important, considering Yato's reaction.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I think you place the emotional value a little too high, but that's probably just because I'm less sensitive than others. Otherwise, good episode.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Oh, man, when she gave Yato that mini-shirne... the tears.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:42 am Reply with quote
Watched eps 7 & 8 back-to-back, so it was kind of a whirlwind of emotions. I didn't cry during the shrine scene, but it was very cool to revisit that moment with all its layers of significance for Yato - kind of the reverse of "for you it was the day I destroyed/saved your life, for me it was Tuesday". Hiyori, savior of gods Smile

I feel like ep 7 did a good job with its setup of Hiyori/Yato - where they're at, and where they want to be. The finer points of the significance of Hiyori's decision to remain a half-Ayakashi (and Yato's implicit agreement) got lost, but at this point IMO it's not super-important for the audience to know that. We just need to get that she's not ready to give up her relationships, even in the face of danger or temptation, to give context if/when their happy situation is threatened.

(Manga-informed question - spoiler[So given that the materials for the shrine came from Hiyori's brother, and knowing his proclivities, I've been wondering for a while now if Yato's shrine might've gained some extra spiritual "oomph".] Thoughts?)

--------------

Ep 8 is the real gut-puncher though - at least 3 times I wanted to slap/punch chars through the screen. Noragami has my favorite love-to-hate-'em villains of the last 5yrs or so, and they really shine brightly (evilly?) here. From animation to acting, Yato's conflicted situation comes across with all the complex notes intact. All the feels man.
LuffyTDS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing that Father is the random guy who caught Hiyori when she almost fell down the stairs. What would the point of that scene be if that guy wasn't going to matter? He'll probably be a villain at least if not Father. He's probably also the guy Hiyori's friend has a crush on.
animalia555

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:08 pm Reply with quote
LuffyTDS wrote:
I'm guessing that Father is the random guy who caught Hiyori when she almost fell down the stairs. What would the point of that scene be if that guy wasn't going to matter? He'll probably be a villain at least if not Father. He's probably also the guy Hiyori's friend has a crush on.
spoiler[As someone who has read the manga I can say you are correct. Yato's father stay's alive by bodyhopping, and he approached Hiyori specifcally to hurt Yato through her.]
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
LuffyTDS wrote:

I was thinking something similar. The vague way Hiyori's friend described the guy's origins raised a flag, and I was thinking maybe he had something to do with the far shore since memory and details get warped when they're involved. Plus if they're trying to separate yato and hiyori it would make sense to try distracting her with earthly connections
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8 felt a little rushed. While it was obvious Yato couldn't stay happy for long (it's just not that kind of show), him going to meet Nora, being attacked and immediately subdued felt a little bit off. Theoretically, it should make sense they'd get concerned about losing him to Hiyori and a better life at this very point (Yukine turning blessed, Yato getting his shrine, Hiyori wanting to stay with him), and it was interesting to learn why Yato's still around, periodically returning to his calamity god ways and fulfilling peoples darker wishes, apparently. If belief is all that's required, it makes sense that he's still part of the world exactly because of people's need for those kinds of gods. Still, something was off about the execution of these valid plot points, especially after so many weeks of greatness.

The boy on the stairs is certainly going to be of some importance. Although everything points to Ebisu being the bad guy, didn't Yato meet him when he wanted to buy Yukine? Was Yato only familiar with the previous Ebisu incarnation? But, from god to god, shouldn't he still be able to recognize a new version of the same god?
secondkas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:
The boy on the stairs is certainly going to be of some importance. Although everything points to Ebisu being the bad guy, didn't Yato meet him when he wanted to buy Yukine? Was Yato only familiar with the previous Ebisu incarnation? But, from god to god, shouldn't he still be able to recognize a new version of the same god?

Ebisu may be awfully blighted, but he hasn't died recently, so he hasn't reincarnated. spoiler[Remember that image of a child Bishamon when Kugaha talked about reincarnation? Reincarnated gods look like their kid version.] For whatever role he has here, I'm sure it will be revealed soon.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:

I'm pretty sure Ebisu isn't "Father" and that he hasn't been reincarnated recently. Bishamon expressed her worry that he was reincarnating fairly often compared to other gods and he was seriously afflicted by the blight, but like secondkas mentioned, reincarnated gods look like children
mandisaw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:38 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Knoepfchen wrote:

I'm pretty sure Ebisu isn't "Father" and that he hasn't been reincarnated recently. Bishamon expressed her worry that he was reincarnating fairly often compared to other gods and he was seriously afflicted by the blight, but like secondkas mentioned, reincarnated gods look like children

I can't talk about Ebisu, Father, or the kid on the stairs (for clarity, his name's Fujisaki, they'll mention it shortly) without just a whole mess of spoilers, so I'm not gonna touch any of that.

But on the reincarnation & recognition aspect, gods reincarnate as younger versions of themselves, and would be recognizable to others as such. They carry over some personality aspects, and have the same heavenly responsibilities, but they don't directly carry over memories & personality.

That's part of why lead shinki/exemplars are handy - they help raise the new godling and provide some continuity. A god could also leave "parenting" instructions for their shinki if they had some lead time before reincarnating, kind of like a living will.

Gods grow to "adulthood" fairly quickly, and look the same when they do. If Yato knew Ebisu way back when, Yato ought to totally recognize him when they met just now. Of course, Yato could play the "hi, guy I totally *don't* recognize" game, and if Ebisu ver2+ doesn't know to remember him, he'd regard Yato as a stranger.

Knoepfchen wrote:
Still, something was off about the execution of these valid plot points, especially after so many weeks of greatness.

It's all mysterious hand-waving setup, combined with all that stuff mentioned in the ep8 article about abuse victims. Gabriella's got it spot-on - Yato is 110% acting normally for someone in a long-term abusive relationship. Falling into self-destructive habits just when things are going well is sadly not that contrived.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12