• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman: Genre Tropes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nargun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:43 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Because my definition of a dictionary is one that contains real words. Although I do see your point. Neutral

Seriously, dude, linguistic prescriptivism [declaring certain language forms to be 'good' or 'bad'] originates in a rather nasty heritage of hate and genteel upper-middle-class bigotry that you might want to familiarise yourself with, next time you're tempted to say that 'someone isn't speaking "real" english'.

It's not good news.
indrik

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:55 am Reply with quote
I know we're not talking about this any more, but I have never met anybody who thought Fly Me To The Moon was written for Eva. I have met two people who thought Beethoven 9 was written for Eva, and just wouldn't believe me that you can get a copy in just about any record store. Any store that sells cds. Did I just say record store? I kind of liked the first version of FMTTM Eva used, in a strange, delirious poppy kind of way. Highlight of the whole show for me, really.

Anime World Order wrote:
In fact, the truly bad stuff like Angel Cop, Violence Jack, and Mad Bull 34--which I refer to as "the Manga Video Holy Trinity of Suck"--is so damn entertaining (for the wrong reasons) that in my book, they're actually good.

I recently saw Bounty Dog at the local best buy, came here, and read a really bad review, which... well, made me want to watch it, and see if it was really that bad. Now I feel I need to see Red Bull 34, since I have missed that one. Although, if I had been of a mind to answer the question, I would have had a hard time picking between Gundress and MD Geist.

tempest wrote:
The sales were very, very low. First month sales, according to Vidscan, were lower than the total number of people who said they'd buy it in one particular forum thread; in the double digits. Vidscan is a very bad metric for something so niche, but the end result was still abysmal. 5 in 10 might have been more accurate, but I wanted to be a little liberal. Only ADV knows the exact numbers, and while they've never kept their unhappiness with the sales a secret, it's not like I get a copy of their weekly sellthrough and returns.

Every time I adjust my estimates of the dvd buying anime fandom down, it makes me a little bit sad. I almost own two sets of Princess Tutu, since I just got the collection in the mail. Although I hadn't heard of it before reading on here, so I didn't say I'd buy it pre-licensing. O'well. I see it's listed as 38 episodes in the encyclopedia, but ADV's release only covers 26. So what's to do?

Edit: I love how when you look up "dictionary" at dictionary.com, the first definition starts with "a book...."

Last edited by indrik on Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:02 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop wrote:
Spelt is a word! Take that ANN executive editor Zac!

People make mistakes all the time, whether or not they're grammar freaks. Heh... I would know. Wink

Is "ain't" in the dictionary? Yes. Therefore, the dictionary is wrong.

But it is in there as slang xD
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:34 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Vortextk wrote:
Odds are if you've had an idea atleast one other person in the world has had the same one too, right?

One word: Vampirates

I thought it was going to make me millions, then I find out that someone else came up with the idea (same name, ever) several years before I did.

I can understand someone else coming along and thinking up "pirate vampires" or "vampire pirates" or whatever else... But, COME ON!? "VAMPIRATES"!?

Totally unfair. But a nice example of your statement.

You don't happen to write a certain webcomic by that name do you?

There's a webcomic, too!? *looks it up*

Two bastards stole my idea before I had it! TWO OF THEM! >=(
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:00 am Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
I almost own two sets of Princess Tutu, since I just got the collection in the mail. Although I hadn't heard of it before reading on here, so I didn't say I'd buy it pre-licensing. O'well. I see it's listed as 38 episodes in the encyclopedia, but ADV's release only covers 26. So what's to do?

ADV released the whole thing here. It's considered 38 episodes because episodes 14 through 25 were each split in two for the Japanese broadcast, making 12 extra episodes. The last episode was not treated this way.

I still don't really get it, but that's the explanation.
indrik

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:33 am Reply with quote
At some point, I knew that, and now that you say it, I remember that. But yes, you're right, I was afraid I was going to have to go over to the dark side and (gasp) watch some fansubs or something.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
Seriously, dude, linguistic prescriptivism [declaring certain language forms to be 'good' or 'bad'] originates in a rather nasty heritage of hate and genteel upper-middle-class bigotry that you might want to familiarise yourself with, next time you're tempted to say that 'someone isn't speaking "real" english'.

Who ever said anything about declaring part of a language to be good or bad? Gah, it's not even that big of a deal! I have word pet peeves -- so what? I'm not saying that someone isn't speaking "real" anything (as I make up words all the time). Btw, where did you get the idea that I'm a "dude"? Rolling Eyes

Jeez. Bigotry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
I understand where you're coming from to a degree, but seeing you emphasize the fact that you moved from picture books from an early age while you illustrate the fact that you have a hard time filling in the in between in a comic sorta cracks me up. After all, you have to fill in the entire image yourself when you're reading a a novel.

Sorry to haul this back up, but I didn't want to leave things with me looking like an unimaginative bumpkin. Razz The truth is, I find it far harder to fill in the blanks while reading a comic than to picture what's going on when reading a novel. In the case of a latter, you're free to take the author's words and depict them in any way you so desire, to the extent to which your imagination is capable. The best authors are those whose descriptions allow you to paint a mental picture so vivid, it blows the most visually stunning summer Hollywood blockbuster out of the water. (<3 you, Tolkien...) In contrast, reading a comic books paints you into a creative corner. The characters have to look a specific way, because that's how they're drawn. They have to move in specific patterns, because that's what's indicated by the art on the page. Even if you do fill in the action between frames yourself, you're limited to extrapolating between what's on the page, and in the end, it just feels like watching a slideshow. I may be talking gibberish the whole way here, but as far as I'm concerned, there's no way I could favor that sort of interaction.

(Of course, anime itself doesn't allow for any interaction at all, but then again, its medium isn't meant to. When you look at it that way, the whole "vs." question is kind of absurd in the first place. Razz)
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
I know we're not talking about this any more, but I have never met anybody who thought Fly Me To The Moon was written for Eva. I have met two people who thought Beethoven 9 was written for Eva, and just wouldn't believe me that you can get a copy in just about any record store. Any store that sells cds.

That's...really pathetic. I would have thought that the fact it sounded nothing like Sagisu's music, the fact that it's been used in movies since movies have had sound, and the fact that it actually has a prominent role in the episode would have clued people in that it was something not written for Eva...unless Eva, of course, has been around for nearly 200 years now.

I just hope no one thinks that Handel's "Messiah" was written for Eva too...
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:

Languages evolve, that's true, but regardless of class, there is definitely such a thing as "bad English."

It doesn't matter how many people say it, "I ain't gonna vote for no stinkin liberal" is bad English, as is "You gone an dun it this time."

As for the issue at hand, spelt is and always has been an accepted alternative to spelled, but every stylebook that touches the issue would recommend spelled over spelt. Likewise, "nite" is slowly making its way into the English language, but no professional writer with any self respect would ever use it professionally.

-t
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Likewise, "nite" is slowly making its way into the English language, but no professional writer with any self respect would ever use it professionally.

It may be making its way into American English but it's hardly acceptable in Standard English. I didn't realise you Canadians had fallen to the linguistic darkside... Wink
Akakori

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:59 pm Reply with quote
uragayduck wrote:

(Shounen - never ending series - mind battles) X (Mahou Shoujo + Storyline + SUPER ENGRISH) = Nanoha

I think this equation is pretty spot on.

I am a massive Nanoha fan (and no, I don't own any pillow-shaped "memorabilia"), but I don't think it deserves the bashing from people that it gets. I'm not so blind as to not see where others may have issues with it, though - but I feel these may be somewhat unfounded.

Some people hate it for being a magical girl show, even though it hasn't followed that format since midway through the first series. Others hate it for being too moe/loli. When compared to the amount of this genre around Nanoha doesn't compare at all.
Others don't like it because it's too focussed on massive magical explosions. Which as I see it is the other end of the scale from the first two problems.

The main problem with Nanoha and popularity in my eyes is that it covers a large set of genre and thus opens itself to anyone and everyone that hates any one (or more) of the genre it covers. It's a magical girl show that has become a shounen-centred faux-military slog-fest of endless moe characters and OTT magical effects.

And I'm afraid to say that some of us like this and I wish people would pick it up for what it is, rather than what they've heard it is. If you don't like the sound of what I defined it as, then don't watch it, but don't bash it for what is isn't. There are plenty of shows which have pillow case prints of their characters, why pick on Nanoha?
TheVok

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
It may be making its way into American English but it's hardly acceptable in Standard English. I didn't realise you Canadians had fallen to the linguistic darkside... Wink

Most folks in the UK calls us all 'Americans' anyway ....
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Akakori wrote:
There are plenty of shows which have pillow case prints of their characters, why pick on Nanoha?

I ask, why not? It's just a TV show. It doesn't have feelings, mate.
Akakori

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Akakori wrote:
There are plenty of shows which have pillow case prints of their characters, why pick on Nanoha?

I ask, why not? It's just a TV show. It doesn't have feelings, mate.

I guess I should've written that better. "Why pick Nanoha over the other moe shows?" would've been a better way to put it. Besides it was rather a rhetorical question.

But anyway, you're right, it's just a show, but it always frustrates me that people hate shows for reasons that are assumed rather than seen. Nanoha isn't great - I'm not here to defend it to the ground - but people should decide that for themselves, rather than relying on a reputation. And that goes for many other anime, and other things in this world, too.

EDIT: That and I hate being associated with fat, hairy, no-life otakus who prize their night-time cuddles with an image. Wink

Last edited by Akakori on Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10