• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Book Club -- Serial Experiments Lain.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
So I finished the series a day or two ago, I forget, but I've also been finding it hard to really compose my thoughts in a way that even makes sense to myself. Like, I think I got it but am not really sure... Guess that was kind of expected, though, right? Smile

Yeah, that's totally the same for me. Finished it Thursday night and I still am trying to figure this all out...... Anime smile + sweatdrop So yeah, let's give this a shot, if I dare........

Going along the lines of the religious stuff we were talking about, I think I kind of understand what HK was saying about it not being entirely Atheistic. To me, it felt like that whole ending sequence with Lain seeing her father the way she did, and also given the circumstances at the time, it seemed to be hinting at sort of the idea of "if god really does exist, then this is what he should be like instead of what Eiri was like." Meaning everything he does is for the benifits of others, not for his own gain, being too full of ego, caught up in his own power and all. He loves us for us and not for him, basically. Makes sense to me. Like I said before, Eiri is not the kind of god I'd like to worship, especially considering he in the end was really nothing more than a cheap imitation. Just some guy who was so full of ego that he thought he could play god, nothing more. I don't know what it was trying to say about Yasuo, but it did seem to me like they were trying to portay moreso the kind of god I believe in through that whole sequence.

I also couldn't help but think about what HK was saying about certain religions believing in achieving a certain state of being in the next life that makes what we have in this life look undesireable in comparison. Which actually, is something we believe in my church as well. Thing is though, you get a strong vibe from this series that in this belief that pretty much means that this world and a human body are worthless. But for my faith this isn't true at all. I mean sure, we believe that what we have in this life is nothing in comparison to what we'll have in the next life if we live worthily enough for it, but at the same time we don't demean the purpose of this life and our human bodies at all. In fact if anything, we pretty much agree with what Lain was saying to Eiri about the importance of a human body. We believe that it's needed for us to experience it in order to acheve that state in the next life.

Of course in this logic, according to lain if that's true then what about God? How can he be a higher power himself without a body? Well that's easy. We believe one thing that other Christian religions from my understanding don't, and that is that God indeed does have a body, just like we do, and that's what makes him in fact such an exalted being. And that's why we believe he gave us a body in the first place, so that we ourselves could someday achieve a certain exalted state ourselves (though I'm not sure it's fair to say we believe that we'll become gods in the next life or anything..... ).

I was also interested in thinking about what was being said by Lain's other self (and Alice, to some extent) about how Lain doesn't really exist if no one can remember her or if no one knows she does. That seems to me to be very much the same along the lines of what Eiri was saying about how a god can't truly exist unless there are people to believe in him. It seemed to me like that whole sequence with Lain wondering whether or not she really exists was kind of trying to argue that point, though I'm not sure if I can really go into detail how exactly (like I say, there's still a whole lot I'm still trying to process Anime smile + sweatdrop ). At the very least what I got from that was that if Lain is supposed to be that kind of being herself, then how is it that she still exists despite the fact that no one knows she does?

Well in any case, those are pretty much my thoughts. As you can tell, the more religious ones seemed to be the ones most on my mind, but hey, I couldn't help it! Anime smile + sweatdrop Hopefully they make enough sense though, I tried to make enough sense of everything as I possibly could.

Quote:
(And I thought it was cool that Alice's younger hairstyle looked a lot like mine did two days ago.)

Did you say? Two days ago? Does that mean we can be expecting some pics over on the FF anytime soon then? Anime hyper
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote
There's only one thing still nagging me about the series: what exactly happens to the Men in Black when they're given their payment in the parking garage? I mean, alright, they're killed, but I'm not sure about the hows, whys and whos.

Aromatic Grass wrote:
The last two episodes were quite a ride and really a great way to end the series, but I can't help feeling as though they created more questions than all the rest of the episodes combined.

Yeah, though they answer and leave enough clues to enough questions that I'm completely satisfied with the (directly) unanswered questions. All of the ABe-related series do that, anyhow, and in my opinion, they're better for it. A person does not die with all of their questions answered, and neither should a story.

Quote:
It was cute that he came to Lain at the last minute asking her to come out of hiding in her bear, which was like a layer protecting her from the real world.

Yeah, he's being acknowledging Lain's maturity. It's very bittersweet, in a way; Lain has gone through and sacrificed so much, but she has grown because of those experiences.

Random observation: did you notice that the shadows are now more clear and absent of the dark and crimson splotches?

Oh, and I also thought I should mention that the man we see with Alice is indeed the much-talked about teacher from late in the series. If the face didn't give it away, check out the extras on the disc: the designs specifically state that he is one in the same character.

Quote:
What I still don't get is the whole Lain-alien thing. Why one appeared in Lain's room, and why Lain appeared as one later in Alice's room...

For the former... to alienate (ugh I feel like killin' myself for that one) the viewers and fit with the content of the episode? As for the latter, you pretty much got it.

Quote:
I want to (attempt to) touch on your theories on how Lain was formed and whether or not she's a god during the final thoughts phase, so we can drag the discussion out like a whole season of [insert SJ series here] fillers.

Sounds awesome.

Aromatic Grass wrote:
HellKorn wrote:
Moelodrama

lulz

It shall eventually become entered into ANN's lexicon... someday!

I should seriously start using moelodrama more. It might actually catch on (well, except for fervent supporters of moe).

BrothersElric wrote:
To me, it felt like that whole ending sequence with Lain seeing her father the way she did, and also given the circumstances at the time, it seemed to be hinting at sort of the idea of "if god really does exist, then this is what he should be like instead of what Eiri was like." Meaning everything he does is for the benifits of others, not for his own gain, being too full of ego, caught up in his own power and all. He loves us for us and not for him, basically.

Just to clarify: accepting the theory that the character Lain meets at the end is indeed her creator, it does not necessarily mean that this is any specific god. Or the only God. Or that this creator is all-powerful, etc.

Though, likely, this creator -- again, going on acceptance of Lain's comments to Eiri in 12, and perhaps a hint by the other Lain in 13 -- is that entity that holds a vast amount of power (not necessarily omnipotent, which is problematic in itself, but for ANN rules and general civility I shan't say anymore) and is evidently caring.

Quote:
Thing is though, you get a strong vibe from this series that in this belief that pretty much means that this world and a human body are worthless.

Not really. There are some nuggets in what Eiri says, but he's revealed to be just as flawed and ignorant as the rest of the cast. Lain rejects the sterile and falseness of idealized transcendence (Eiri) in favor of embracing her empathetic and human side (Alice).

Quote:
I was also interested in thinking about what was being said by Lain's other self (and Alice, to some extent) about how Lain doesn't really exist if no one can remember her or if no one knows she does. That seems to me to be very much the same along the lines of what Eiri was saying about how a god can't truly exist unless there are people to believe in him.

That situation is more of a criticism of organized religion than a question of existence, though they are thematically similar.

Quote:
At the very least what I got from that was that if Lain is supposed to be that kind of being herself, then how is it that she still exists despite the fact that no one knows she does?

You can't really destroy that which has been preceded by human recognition and memory. Unless you're going to destroy the planet Earth, Lain's gonna be around for a loooooooooong time.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quote
(I'm posting this from my new computer yay yaay yaaaaay)

Oookay, so technically the final thoughts discussion should've already started, though it doesn't really matter. I'm just making this post so we have something to link to from the beginning of the thread.

And I still have nothing to add just yet. I'll get around to that tomorrow! I promise.

Eventually we'll get around to the Texhnolyze thread, too...

For now, moe-moe moelodrama!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
There's only one thing still nagging me about the series: what exactly happens to the Men in Black when they're given their payment in the parking garage? I mean, alright, they're killed, but I'm not sure about the hows, whys and whos.

The MIB were tricked into working for the head of Tachibana Labs, a man who seems to be a part of Masami Eiri's plans judging from his comment during his final meeting with the MIB. He said he was interested in seeing the outcome of Lain's actions.

The purpose of the MIBs was to observe Lain while at the Iwakura residence from the outside. They assumed Lain was the center of the blurring between Wired and real world thus believed Tachibana needed them to potentially eliminate her should she pose too great a threat to the division of both worlds. In reality, Eiri and Tachibana needed the two men to observe amy developments in Lain's power and well-being. After learning about the Knights, the MIB killed off all the members assuming this was done to preserve the division. In reality, Eiri and the Tachibana head needed them wiped out or risk having their plans unveiled thanks to Lain exposing all the members of the Knights.

With their purposes fulfilled, Eiri and Tachibana had no further use for the two men. They had to be killed off since they now knew of their plans with Lain. The wild Lain was brought in to kill off the Men in Black.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
The MIB were tricked into working for the head of Tachibana Labs, a man who seems to be a part of Masami Eiri's plans judging from his comment during his final meeting with the MIB. He said he was interested in seeing the outcome of Lain's actions.

The purpose of the MIBs was to observe Lain while at the Iwakura residence from the outside. They assumed Lain was the center of the blurring between Wired and real world thus believed Tachibana needed them to potentially eliminate her should she pose too great a threat to the division of both worlds. In reality, Eiri and Tachibana needed the two men to observe amy developments in Lain's power and well-being. After learning about the Knights, the MIB killed off all the members assuming this was done to preserve the division. In reality, Eiri and the Tachibana head needed them wiped out or risk having their plans unveiled thanks to Lain exposing all the members of the Knights.

With their purposes fulfilled, Eiri and Tachibana had no further use for the two men. They had to be killed off since they now knew of their plans with Lain. The wild Lain was brought in to kill off the Men in Black.

Alright. Most of this I agree with and it doesn't seem at odds with the show. The fact that there is the obvious intention to eliminate all those with knowledge of Eiri's experiment is also very consistent...

However, I'm struggling with one claim here: that Eiri and the head/representative of Tachibana General Labs -- and perhaps Tachibana as a whole -- are in league with each other.

Eiri split from Tachibana after inserting his memories and personality in Protocol 7, committing suicide. There is a divide between the two factions that causes this. This stressed at certain points in the series (episode nine, in particular).

So then, there are three likely conclusions that can be arrived at with the above information: as you mention, Eiri and Tachibana are cohorts and the narration and specific dialogue is deliberately lying to us (thus fitting the contradictory nature of Serial Experiments Lain, and it's emphasis on the relative mystery that's ever common in modern life), Tachibana give into Eiri's machinations once they have believe they have fail to present the latter's plans from coming into fruition, or the head/representative (that isn't apparently knowledgeable, considering episode seven) we see is actually a fake established by Eiri and/or the Knights (it's irrelevant whether he is the actual boss of Tachibana or not).

@AG: What are you specifically curious about in regards to Lain's apparent origin and godhood?
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I, myself, wrote:
I'll get around to that tomorrow! I promise.

Okay, I lied. I'm a terrible person. Every time I try to make a post, something comes up and I become distracted.

At this point I really need to re-watch this thing. Especially the last two episodes. I had planned a few things to say, but it's funny how you begin to doubt things after watching something like Lain.

I'm stuck on the point when Eiri said that Lain was created as "software." I don't remember if it was brought up here before, but I wanted to clarify: was that brought up by Eiri as a lie to further drag Lain into the Wired? Or does it even have anything to do with anything? Cause it would kinda contradict the other creation ideas. Maybe I'm just blowing this out of proportion.

Anyway, right now I'm kind of leaning toward the idea that Lain was created by a collective unconscious. Just thinking about what the series has shown us up until this point, about memories and connections and such, makes me believe this. Alice could partially remember her at the end. The ending theme where Lain is curled up, sleeping in a womb of wires (someone brought this up very early in the thread), which I guess might represent connections or something. Then there's the whole alien thing that goes along with it. I dunno, there may be a lot of flaws to this idea as well.

Then again, the idea that she was created by another being ("God") makes just as much sense. But when thinking about all the possibilities for each theory, it feels as though there's really no "right" answer.

BrothersElric wrote:
Thing is though, you get a strong vibe from this series that in this belief that pretty much means that this world and a human body are worthless.

From my point of view, the concept that the body is worthless was portrayed as being a negative idea in Lain rather than trying to promote it. It might seem ideal at first, which is what everyone was trying to convince Lain throughout most of the series, but you can see what happened at the end.

BrothersElric wrote:
I was also interested in thinking about what was being said by Lain's other self (and Alice, to some extent) about how Lain doesn't really exist if no one can remember her or if no one knows she does.

I think this also backs up what I was saying earlier about her creation... maybe. I dunno what I'm talking about anymore.

I need to watch the whole thing again soon, or at least the last disc.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
I, myself, wrote:
I'll get around to that tomorrow! I promise.

Okay, I lied. I'm a terrible person. Every time I try to make a post, something comes up and I become distracted.

At this point I really need to re-watch this thing. Especially the last two episodes. I had planned a few things to say, but it's funny how you begin to doubt things after watching something like Lain.

Heh heh, I swear I can totally relate to all of this. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Quote:
From my point of view, the concept that the body is worthless was portrayed as being a negative idea in Lain rather than trying to promote it. It might seem ideal at first, which is what everyone was trying to convince Lain throughout most of the series, but you can see what happened at the end.

I think you might have misunderstood what I was saying here. Anime smile + sweatdrop
I was basically saying that yeah, that was indeed portrayed as a negative idea. Basically I was just talking about how I think our church would pretty much agree, so maybe that idea isn't quite as atheistic as one might think. In fact I'm kinda questioning right now just how atheistic this series is as a whole. Anime smile + sweatdrop It's like Hellkorn said, there definitely seems to be some kind of pro-religious underlying theme here, be it a minor one or not.

Quote:
I think this also backs up what I was saying earlier about her creation... maybe. I dunno what I'm talking about anymore.

Heh heh, yeah, I'm not even sure anymore either. Anime smile + sweatdrop I was thinking that might have been one flaw in your earlier idea but at this point I have no clue......
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:08 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
I think you might have misunderstood what I was saying here. Anime smile + sweatdrop

The story of my life.

BrothersElric wrote:
I was basically saying that yeah, that was indeed portrayed as a negative idea. Basically I was just talking about how I think our church would pretty much agree, so maybe that idea isn't quite as atheistic as one might think.

Ah, I see. I was totally focused on that one sentence instead of the whole thing. Sorry 'bout that! Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
I'm stuck on the point when Eiri said that Lain was created as "software." I don't remember if it was brought up here before, but I wanted to clarify: was that brought up by Eiri as a lie to further drag Lain into the Wired? Or does it even have anything to do with anything? Cause it would kinda contradict the other creation ideas.

Think of it like this: through his own creations, Eiri discovers the result of the collective unconsciousness connecting to one another as a result of technology -- this is Lain. Thus, he believes that he "developed" her. In effect, Lain is a manifestation that did not always hold corporeal form (or awareness prior to being given a body). If she did, then she would be more akin to "hardware."

Quote:
The ending theme where Lain is curled up, sleeping in a womb of wires (someone brought this up very early in the thread), which I guess might represent connections or something.

I interpret that as Lain "maturing" through the womb of technology. She grows up and becomes knowledgeable through computers -- sorry, navi.

Quote:
But when thinking about all the possibilities for each theory, it feels as though there's really no "right" answer.

lain is one of the very, very, very few examples of a non-impressionistic work does work under multiple interpretations. Most of the time I'm annoyed by the "my opinion is just as valid as yours," which essentially means, "I'm going to impose my own beliefs unto this piece of work without any regard for the creator's intentions and the actual evidence within the framework." While not every interpretation of lain can be considered "valid" and viable," I think that multiple views that heavily take into account evidence from within the plot are actually arguable.

BrothersElric wrote:
In fact I'm kinda questioning right now just how atheistic this series is as a whole.

Interesting tidbit about the scene between Lain and the figure that resembles Yasuo: the music that plays during the background is titled "Family Portrait" on the lain soundtrack. It is the only time that piece plays in the entire series. I think you all can figure out what I'm alluding to.

Quote:
It's like Hellkorn said, there definitely seems to be some kind of pro-religious underlying theme here, be it a minor one or not.

Not a pro-religious theme, really. lain is rather critical of organized religion. However, it does seem to purport that there IS something out there that we humans cannot easily define.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8