• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey: Do you give English dubs a chance?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poonk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:11 am Reply with quote
I'm sub-only at this point. I used to be dub-only when I started watching anime but I can pinpoint exactly where I switched: Saiyuki Reload. I really liked Sanzo & Goku's VAs in Saiyuki and not paying too much attention to the industry aspect back then, I didn't realize that Reload going to Geneon instead of ADV meant different VAs. So that was a very unpleasant experience-- Sanzo had suddenly become Rurouni Kenshin's Sanosuke. We switched to subs after 1 episode and never looked back (although maybe we should have-- Reload and Gunlock really became a chore to get through).

Also, around the same time as the above incident, we started watching GetBackers and found the dub pretty grating, so we switched to subs pretty quickly. We still watched a dub here & there after that (especially ongoing titles we started out watching dubbed, like Kyo Kara Maou!) but we just sort of gradually got used to the Japanese dialogue and learned to prefer it for whatever reason (yes, I know, not being fluent in Japanese I can't say the acting is "better," but at least I don't noticed it when it's poor, perhaps?).

A lot of my drama/anime viewing is also done in the presence of friends who have 2 young children-- so they actually watch everything subtitled, even if it's English, since the kids can be sorta noisy. The funny thing is, the 1st grader has started to pick out words and seems able to follow along with simple titles, such as Chi's Sweet Home. What a great incentive to learn how to read, eh?

escahime65 wrote:
In fact, my subtitle obsession has even turned me into someone who turns the subtitles on when I'm watching American movies in English. I don't want to miss any of the dialogue and I watch so much subtitled anime that my eyes naturally go to the bottom of the screen anyway.
I've been there-- I watch mostly dramas & anime, so a few weeks ago I found myself mildly disoriented watching Flight of the Conchords and unconsciously wondering where the subs were (it's the first English-language thing I've watched in a loooong time). I adjusted just fine of course (and god that show is hilarious), but it was kind of funny to realize what I was doing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:16 am Reply with quote
I tolerate subbed anime at cons but always view it dubbed in English at home.

I like to watch anime and read manga - not the other way around.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote
I usually only watch dubs as I really don't see the entertainment value of reading tiny text filled paragraphs on the bottom of the screen while something more important is going on in the background.

It's also annoying having to pause and rewind when I didn't fully grasp what I read or simply didn't finish. Too much of a hassle.

That's why I watch dubs no matter how bad I think they are. In fact, I wont ever purposely watch a show until it is dubbed in English. Hence me never seeing Evangelion 1.0 even though I really, really, really want to.

There are occasions where I will watch a sub or even a few specific genres were I will only watch a sub as they aren't necessarily bad, I just prefer the dub if it is available. (for the 98% most part, that is.)
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:34 am Reply with quote
I always watch the dub first. I'm sorry but I like hearing the show in my own language. If I have to read subtitles there's just that bit less attention I can show to the show itself so often times little things might go unnoticed. So I prefer to watch the show in my own language so I can focus on the show more. If the dub is really bad then I will probably switch to the subs. Or sometimes if a show gets high marks on it's sub I'll listen to both tracks to see for myself. Though in the case of bad dubs it has to be REALLY bad one. Unlike many other people I understand that all actors of all sorts have bad days and bad performances. You can't be on the mark 100% of the time. Generally as long as the entire cast isn't horrible I can stand a few bad roles in a show. I certainly don't discriminate though for those that do watch shows subbed. I only wish more fans would stop blindly hating on the other group simply because they watch the show differently then them. Seriously. Why act like an ass and get in a huff over something so trivial?
spacehikariangel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:40 am Reply with quote
Honestly, it really depends. I mean if I'm honestly not that critical of dubs, because I mean dubs introduced me into anime, you know. I owe them. So, if I've watched a show subtitled then it gets licensed, if it comes on television I'll watch the dub(usually the whole thing too).

But if I purchase that same show, then I'll watch the subtitles on the DVD most of the time. Though occasionally, if I really like the voice actors, I'll watch the dub version just to hear them again.

When I get a DVD of something I've never seen before, I usually watch it subbed first and then watch the dubs later.

Except with the third Tenchi OVA. Honestly, I would've watched that the other way around, but the fact that Ryoko's old voice actress quit really threw me off so I only ever watched the whole subtitled version of that.

Also, even if if a dub annoys me at times(I've never been completely turned off by a dubbed before) Particularly if it's on a show I've never watched subbed before, I'll trudge through it. However, if the voice of the main character is annoying. Then I'll never get into the show at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiggity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:41 am Reply with quote
butterfly.disaster wrote:
For me, it's almost always the sub. I will usually give the dub a chance if it's easily accessible to me, but more often than not I dislike the voice s of the actors/actresses. It's also helpful in learning Japanese, and
I tend to pick up, for better or worse, phrases and words.

On the poll I chose option #2.

"I might listen to it for a few minutes, just to see."

With that said, I'm one of this forum's many sub only fans for the most part.

penguintruth wrote:
If it's a show that I haven't seen before in Japanese, I watch it in Japanese with subtitles as a default, and check the dub later. If it's a show I've already seen in Japanese, I immediately go for the dub, out of curiosity and convenience. If the dub is poor, I switch back. If it's good, I alternate.

I can sort of relate to that... What I do is I have the English audio play (if I download a dual audio fansub / DVD Rip or if it's on DVD) and also have the subs on. If the dialogue in the audio matches up with the subs, then I consider the dub watchable. Most of the time though that's not the case. Most of the time the dialogue is really messed up.

Example: Episode 110 of Inuyasha: [English]Bankotsu: Prepare to die. [Japanese] Bankotsu: Wash your hands.

What the hell is that?! That makes no sense. Two entirely different translations, one that makes less sense than the other. Is there a cultural joke or reference I'm missing here? If so, enlighten me. Heh.

A good dub script-to-sub lineup is Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu. Those line up very close, and the Haruhi dub is one that I might watch when I get the chance.

GreyOtakuGirl wrote:
I personally prefer to watch anime in it's original form... Feels more right.

And I find most dub voices less fitting.

But if I really like a series, I'll watch the subs the go back and watch it with the dub. Very Happy

Agreed. Though, like I said, and exemplified above, it all depends.

I really don't mind pausing and going back to catch what was said. I'd rather to that, than get the wrong idea of what's going on in the show.

With all that said, I rarely watch dubs, since there's a chance that the story is going to be butchered to make it fit for an English-speaking audience.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:45 am Reply with quote
"One of the many"? I dunno, I know there's a lot of sub-only purists, but there seems to be a significant number of dub fans on the site, too...

Oh, and believe it or not, most dubs try NOT to butcher the dialogue these days, studios are actually careful about that more often than not.
Shiggity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:48 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
"One of the many"? I dunno, I know there's a lot of sub-only purists, but there seems to be a significant number of dub fans on the site, too...

Oh, and believe it or not, most dubs try NOT to butcher the dialogue these days, studios are actually careful about that more often than not.

Good point, but I personally prefer subs, and I hate it when the story line has to suffer the adaptation to a new territory.

I saw Sailor Moon first dubbed (see my post to the "End of Toonami" thread) so I'm grateful for that since it got me into anime, but since then I've rewatched Sailor Moon in Japanese several times, enjoying it each time as if it were the first time. I enjoy the quality of the original, though I don't disrespect the work that english VAs put into their characters. I just prefer the original.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:54 am Reply with quote
That's one of the stigmas that some sub-purists still falsely believe in, that licensees butcher the script to hell for the dub. It was truer of the early days of US anime, but it's not as bad anymore. Yeah, some stuff was cut up so badly it didn't resemble the original in any way, but studios do their best to be more consistent these days.
Shiggity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:57 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
That's one of the stigmas that some sub-purists still falsely believe in, that licensees butcher the script to hell for the dub. It was truer of the early days of US anime, but it's not as bad anymore. Yeah, some stuff was cut up so badly it didn't resemble the original in any way, but studios do their best to be more consistent these days.

I'm aware of this, but I still prefer it in its original release and form. After watching a series like that I go back and randomly pick an episode in dub and I'm usually appalled at the voice choices, and to me it doesn't fit the character, AT ALL.

By the way, just because I prefer subs doesn't mean I'm a "sub-purist" in anyway. I'll watch [though few] dubs, but I'm loyal to the work of the original production.

Also, another reason why I prefer sub is because when it's dubbed and on TV, it makes it seem like a kiddy cartoon to many, and people get the wrong idea when you tell them that you watch Japanese animation.

In my experience they always go "Oh, you mean like Pokeeeemon? Isn't that a kid's cartoon?"

That really bothers me. Some people won't ever learn or listen. Also not to rant too far off topic here, but I hate it when people compare or consider anime to be just a "Japanese cartoon" with no substance or meaning. To me, a cartoon would be something like Warner Bros.' Loony Toons, or Duck Tales, or Tale Spin (etc etc).

Watching it in Japanese with subs to me makes it more unique and enjoyable than watching it in English.

Last edited by Shiggity on Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:02 am Reply with quote
Oh, just to clear it up I'm not knocking your choice, because that's YOUR preference, I just take offense at the sub purists who have an irrational hatred for ALL dubs based on the standards of 15 years ago. Of course, I avoid some shows altogether due to horrendous dubs (some of the mainstream toy-hawking stuff, for example), but I've found that the voice work on most dubs is good to excellent.

I know not everyone feels that way, I just don't get people who want to shove their opinion that dubs are superior down others' throats. Not saying you're one of those types, but I did know people like that a while ago and it pissed me off.
Shiggity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:07 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Oh, just to clear it up I'm not knocking your choice, because that's YOUR preference, I just take offense at the sub purists who have an irrational hatred for ALL dubs based on the standards of 15 years ago. Of course, I avoid some shows altogether due to horrendous dubs (some of the mainstream toy-hawking stuff, for example), but I've found that the voice work on most dubs is good to excellent.

I know not everyone feels that way, I just don't get people who want to shove their opinion that dubs are superior down others' throats. Not saying you're one of those types, but I did know people like that a while ago and it pissed me off.

Yeah I hear ya. I didn't mean to come across as sounding irritated etc, but I just wanted to make my stance on the whole thing clear.

Check my above post again. I added a short rant and more stuff that you may or may nor have seen since you started to write your reply.

Bottom line, it's 75/25 for me.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:10 am Reply with quote
I understand what you mean, bro. I guess it's different for everyone.

But one thing bad dubs have given us is overplayed YouTube/4chan memes. And I am eternally grateful for that.
Shiggity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:13 am Reply with quote
Also ya know, I like anime for its art style. I like its fluidity and well though out stories and stuff. Most people don't see that there's alot of work put into it and it really irks me when people disrespect it...

Sorry, repeating myself, but this whole issue bothers me. Heh.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:39 am Reply with quote
No, because English isn't my first language. I always watch anime subtitled if possible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11