• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:27 am Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
I don't know why people seem to think Kinoko is so great. I can't help but wonder how she even got into the school in the first place, as their entrance test was against robots?

Imagine if thousands of mushrooms sprouted all over those robots and even inside them. It would block their their cameras and sensors and clog up the machinery. I bet she took out an entire battalion of them by herself.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:01 pm Reply with quote
It's amazing how this arc is just as bad as it was in the manga in terms of both content and pacing. I'll give the animators credit for making it look as good as possible but I really can't wait until we get these filler fights out of the way so we can get on to the actually important fifth match.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I think it's quite a bit worse than it was in the manga in terms of pacing
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:32 am Reply with quote
Meh. This season has been a thoroughly dull affair; I didn't much enjoy last season, either, but this is definitely worse.

The second season's battle arena arc showed they could pull one off, despite the lack of true stakes and half the characters being unfamiliar, while maintaining a sense of major emotional investment and character growth; seems like they've completely forgotten how to do that, though, or maybe are saving 99% of it for Kacchan and Deku. Even Todoroki and Ingenium's match was pretty lackluster.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I just came here to say that I don't appreciate how the reviewer treats my boy Sero Mad
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:59 am Reply with quote
As terrible as this arc has been this was truly an awesome episode.
Dirtyshadow

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:41 am Reply with quote
In a world full of people who have animal morphic traits, wings, horns, tails, skin where I assume many may have been bullied for their appearance or behavioural traits when growing up

With the number 5 hero is a Rabbit woman...

is it appropriate to be running around with "fake rabbit-like ears" on his costume?
(or is that the reason why he never wears his full cowl for longer than 30 seconds?)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:56 am Reply with quote
Dirtyshadow wrote:
is it appropriate to be running around with "fake rabbit-like ears" on his costume?

Are you talking about Deku? Those aren't rabbit ears, they're knockoffs of All Might's hair. Smile I might be missing a joke here... >.>
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:50 am Reply with quote
unrelated to thus episode, i love how some fanartists are drawing the 1.5 meter tall rabbit woman as the same height as the similar cat woman who is 2.0 meters tall.

back to this episode, i found it hilarious, in a dark humour sense, how todoroki getting punched by tetsu reminded him of his training sessions with his dad who would punch gim the same way.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I wonder if the hero of the whole show will win?
>he didn't watch Baby Steps

RIP Tokage, exists solely to job.
Raven.In.Pink

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:07 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Meh. This season has been a thoroughly dull affair; I didn't much enjoy last season, either, but this is definitely worse.

The second season's battle arena arc showed they could pull one off, despite the lack of true stakes and half the characters being unfamiliar, while maintaining a sense of major emotional investment and character growth; seems like they've completely forgotten how to do that, though, or maybe are saving 99% of it for Kacchan and Deku. Even Todoroki and Ingenium's match was pretty lackluster.

I don’t think it’s that they “forgot.” Personally, to me, it’s all got to do with the shift in directors. Kenji Nagasaki was the director for S1-3 and the two movies. And he’s currently doing the third movie.

Season 4 was helmed by a Masahiro Mukai and he’s returned for Season 5. I think the difference in direction really shows. Mukai isn’t bad and when something hits, it hits out of the park (Deku vs Overhaul and Endeavor vs High End.) But I think he doesn’t adapt the manga as well as Nagasaki did.

I imagine because BONES wants both the BNHA anime and movies to release alongside one another, the decision was to just let Nagasaki work on the movies (cause they’re a larger investment I guess) and Mukai will take over the anime.

I actually enjoyed the Joint Training Arc in the manga, so I’m not nearly as bitter about it or Season 5 as much as some others in the fandom. But even I can’t help but think the anime is just doing “OK.”

With that said, spoiler[It’s the happiest arc before things hit the fan, so I’m enjoying it while it lasts.]
getumbuck

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Man I remember reading this arc when it was being released each week in the manga and knew it would be the most boring arc in the series if it ever got animated and man it certainly has been.
Zefram

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:36 am Reply with quote
Raven.In.Pink wrote:
NeverConvex wrote:

I don’t think it’s that they “forgot.” Personally, to me, it’s all got to do with the shift in directors. Kenji Nagasaki was the director for S1-3 and the two movies. And he’s currently doing the third movie.

Season 4 was helmed by a Masahiro Mukai and he’s returned for Season 5. I think the difference in direction really shows. Mukai isn’t bad and when something hits, it hits out of the park (Deku vs Overhaul and Endeavor vs High End.) But I think he doesn’t adapt the manga as well as Nagasaki did.

I imagine because BONES wants both the BNHA anime and movies to release alongside one another, the decision was to just let Nagasaki work on the movies (cause they’re a larger investment I guess) and Mukai will take over the anime.

I actually enjoyed the Joint Training Arc in the manga, so I’m not nearly as bitter about it or Season 5 as much as some others in the fandom. But even I can’t help but think the anime is just doing “OK.”

With that said, spoiler[It’s the happiest arc before things hit the fan, so I’m enjoying it while it lasts.]

Its OK arc, on par with other competition training arcs. However spoiler[ the next arc is unrelentingly long and grim. I was skipping manga chapters till the end. I hate stories where you literally don't want to root for anyone because all players are just horrible.][/spoiler]
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 1:16 pm Reply with quote
are you talking about how spoiler[MHA is going to end with this arc and we will continue with MVA]?
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I love how the Fifth is such an unapologetic reference to Hellboy, he even has googles on his head to mimic his horns.

Pd: Horikoshi said he is fan of Mike Mignola (Hellboy's creator).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 75 of 81