• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Revival to Have 'New Original Anime Programming'

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hhv94

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:20 am Reply with quote
Glad the Toonami block is back but not sure how I feel about the so called "Orignal anime show" idea. Does this mean they are producing US shows that have anime look to them? If it's anything like the hub then I'm not interested. I also think anything original from CN should go to their other blocks. I would love to see recent anime series titles and some re-runs is good. BUT if the CN wants to try to push their crap like any ugly original anime produced shows and only re-run old anime then it's going to kill the slot.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
The only way Pocket Monsters would air on Adult Swim is if they air the uncut version.

Which is never happening.

More like it would never be on Adult Swim period in any form or fashion. What is so "adult" about Pocket Monsters? Let's not pretend it's more mature than it is.

I meant if they put the original back on TV, in general.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
More like it would never be on Adult Swim period in any form or fashion. What is so "adult" about Pocket Monsters? Let's not pretend it's more mature than it is.

I'd say it's easily more mature than shows about a talking disembodied ass and anything Tim and Eric have made/starred in.

But I'm not talking about maturity, I'm talking about content. Which is the only reason anime even airs on Adult Swim because they show mostly kids anime like Bleach and FMA.

Adult Swim is the only place you CAN air Japanese children shows uncut, whether or not they're actually for adults is irrelevant.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
PipingHotTea wrote:
......or even bring in Black Lagoon.

Problem: Too much F***ing swearing. And thats not even scraping the surface.

The Vampire Twins story arc would be canned. Can't have spoiler[pedophilia necrophiliac crossdressing Romanian orphans who die in gruesome ways (a kneecap shot followed by a handjob shot with a slow bleed and an outright BOOM! headshot)] on basic cable now. Most of the arcs might undergo some edits, some very badly.

This is where Canada laughs at US censors. Black Lagoon aired uncut on a basic digital cable channel, often times without a viewers discretion warning too.

RIP Anime Current on G4

That was the exact same thing i was about to say. Kinda stupid that the US get bitchy when it comes to censors but in canada there are none at all.

Though I'm glad toonami's back, I do have some concerns.

Hopefully it'll be successful and they'll have more anime broadcast cause we definitely need them. Maybe even possibly a broadcast release of naruto shippuden on AS now that it's persona none gratta on Disney which was probably the worst business decision since the AOL Time Warner Merger.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
kakoishii wrote:

I'd say it's easily more mature than shows about a talking disembodied ass and anything Tim and Eric have made/starred in.

But I'm not talking about maturity, I'm talking about content. Which is the only reason anime even airs on Adult Swim because they show mostly kids anime like Bleach and FMA.

Adult Swim is the only place you CAN air Japanese children shows uncut, whether or not they're actually for adults is irrelevant.

Thats one thing I hate about media in general, in all honesty the vast majority of entertainment media is anything but "MATURE" but then if it was it would be pretty boring, lol. Most "ADULT" media is just as if not at times more juvenile then all-ages/childrens media, so overall I would say a shows intended demographic is overall irrelevant. However yes AS does primarily air shonen, however they COULD air more Senien series if they wanted to, will they? Probably not, but you never know. Also I still say calling FMA a kids anime is falicial, I think people give Japan too much credit, Teen anime maybe, kids anime, not so much. Not that it matters in the big scheme of things, but yeah.

Overall just like most american media is aimed at the LCD most anime seems to be aimed at Otaku (which one could argue is Japan's LCD, lol).

So really, yeah...just bunch o pointless semantics.

any who on a more light hearted note, I look forward to seeing what shows AS adds to the Toonami line-up and will defiantly be watching every Saturday.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
So, just thinking aloud…

Turner, and Cartoon Network in particular, used to be really strong in developing a brand identity. In the 90's, the Toonami and Cartoon Cartoon blocks were readily understandable: the former was action cartoons (some anime, some US stuff), and the latter was family-friendly comedy cartoons (Dexter's Laboratory, Cow and Chicken, etc.).

In building the brands, they used not just compatible programming -- if you like Batman the Animated Series, you're probably at least willing to give The Big O a try -- but also things like bumps, promotional videos (remember those 2-minute Gundam Wing montages / music videos?), interstitials (the "Tom" segments), etc.

Thing is, the entire [adult swim] network is already like that. They have their idiom (snarky title card monologues), a programming strategy (dependable Fox animation reruns leading into cheaply-made absurdist/stoner original comedies), cross promos in a variety of styles (self-parody, mocking the show itself, etc.).

And the [adult swim] brand, as it's developed over the years, doesn't really suit the anime/action stuff that they've been running on Saturday nights (a move largely necessitated by this programming not holding up on other nights of the week). A wacky bit for Squidbillies leading into "serious" programming like Ghost in the Shell just doesn't make sense.

So, yeah, by wrapping this action stuff in the Toonami branding, they sort of solve an obvious problem with their action/anime programming. The shows in this block will be better able to support one another by being bathed in compatible ads, cross promos, bumps, etc., rather than going with the snarky title cards that have done a bang-up job of convincing anime viewers that [as] hates them.

But it sort of begs the question… why be in the anime/action business at all? [as] title cards were belly-aching about the lousy anime ratings back when they were airing the first Fullmetal Alchemist, and things surely haven't gotten better since then, given the lack of cross-over hits, or even particularly good shows at all. Why are they even trying, when they could just as easily run another night of Family Guy and Aqua Teen Hunger Force?

Maybe they believe the programming they have, and the stuff they could acquire or develop, will finally work once it's handled better, and that's what this new Toonami is. That's the optimistic case.

The pessimistic case is that new Toonami is a straight-up nostalgia play, and that instead of picking up promising new anime licenses, we'll tune in next week and those "To Be Announced" slots will be re-licensed runs of Outlaw Star, Dragon Ball Z, and other 90's chestunts to warm the hearts of 18-35's who grew up with Toonami in the last decade.

Honestly, the pessimistic case makes way more sense to me. It would be good business. Criticize their recent licensing if you like (who knew Durarara!! would be such a dog?), but what other recent shows would have drawn in new anime fans? Moreover, consider that practically every anime series of any consequence in the last 5 years is readily available to Netflix and Hulu subscribers, and some are even free on Crunchyroll. If there were throngs of crossover fans flocking to watch the streams of High School of the Dead and Puella Magi Madoka Magica, and that's what [as] was reacting to… well… don't you think the kind of people who read ANN would have noticed it first? We're still the only ones watching that stuff.

Hey, I'd love to wake up Sunday and have my Facebook friends asking me "Hey, I was watching Cartoon Network before bed and they played some cool anime-type thing called Angel Beats; can you tell me more about it?" But I'm not expecting it to happen.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
kakoishii wrote:

Okay , first off, Assy McGee was literally cancelled after a few episodes. No one liked it.

And second, I wouldn't say AS "mostly" aired children shows. You're forgetting they also aired Blood+, Big O, Blue Gender, Paranoia Agent, Outlaw Star, Reign: The Conqueror, Moribito, Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Trinity Blood, Witch Hunter Robin, and Wolf's Rain. I guess you could call stuff like Eureka Seven, Durarara, Code Geass, Kikaider, and Scryed "on the fence"
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Moribito was a kids show dude. It was also the lowest rated show ASA ever aired.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Moribito was a kids show dude. It was also the lowest rated show ASA ever aired.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It felt pretty damn sophisticated to me. Shame about the ratings, it's a personal favorite of mine
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It felt pretty damn sophisticated to me. Shame about the ratings, it's a personal favorite of mine

Based on a series of kids novels. Out of print now due to low sales.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

Based on a series of kids novels. Out of print now due to low sales.

Um...okay? I was wrong then?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
The only way Pocket Monsters would air on Adult Swim is if they air the uncut version.

Which is never happening.

I dunno about you, but I don't want to see James in a Bikini.

I think I can speak for a great deal of people in this matter, but nobody wants to see that.

The day the uncut version of Pokemon shows up on Adult Swim is the day Case Closed is brought back to Adult Swim up to the point where Funimation finished dubbing the series.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Not quite. It's actually in the teen catagory. Also it was the lowest rated anime series for AS cause It is a slow,fantasy based series,and not a high octane action based series like Bleach or Code Geass.

If anyone watched Scrapped Princess,they would understand.

Hopfeully the news will mean they will be showing new eps instead of old classics , and hopefully naruto shippuden as well as one piece is included.

Though my best bet will be Either Blood C- or a dub series licensed by Aniplex of America though it's not gonna be Madoka Magica.

My prediction would probably be Fate/Zero.

Also Terrayki Terrier, IT'LL NEVER EVER HAVE A ORIGINAL JAPANEESE VERSION FOR POCKET MONSTERS PERIOD! I'm a die hard pokemaniac though i'm also a realist and they'll never have it there. Not as long as nintendo and game freak is still around to maintain it's "kid friendly" reputation.

Besides,other than season 1 and 2, there's no more questionable content in the series,unless you've been brainwashed by those inaccurate fansubs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gamegodtre

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
So, just thinking aloud…

Turner, and Cartoon Network in particular, used to be really strong in developing a brand identity. In the 90's, the Toonami and Cartoon Cartoon blocks were readily understandable: the former was action cartoons (some anime, some US stuff), and the latter was family-friendly comedy cartoons (Dexter's Laboratory, Cow and Chicken, etc.).

In building the brands, they used not just compatible programming -- if you like Batman the Animated Series, you're probably at least willing to give The Big O a try -- but also things like bumps, promotional videos (remember those 2-minute Gundam Wing montages / music videos?), interstitials (the "Tom" segments), etc.

Thing is, the entire [adult swim] network is already like that. They have their idiom (snarky title card monologues), a programming strategy (dependable Fox animation reruns leading into cheaply-made absurdist/stoner original comedies), cross promos in a variety of styles (self-parody, mocking the show itself, etc.).

And the [adult swim] brand, as it's developed over the years, doesn't really suit the anime/action stuff that they've been running on Saturday nights (a move largely necessitated by this programming not holding up on other nights of the week). A wacky bit for Squidbillies leading into "serious" programming like Ghost in the Shell just doesn't make sense.

So, yeah, by wrapping this action stuff in the Toonami branding, they sort of solve an obvious problem with their action/anime programming. The shows in this block will be better able to support one another by being bathed in compatible ads, cross promos, bumps, etc., rather than going with the snarky title cards that have done a bang-up job of convincing anime viewers that [as] hates them.

But it sort of begs the question… why be in the anime/action business at all? [as] title cards were belly-aching about the lousy anime ratings back when they were airing the first Fullmetal Alchemist, and things surely haven't gotten better since then, given the lack of cross-over hits, or even particularly good shows at all. Why are they even trying, when they could just as easily run another night of Family Guy and Aqua Teen Hunger Force?

Maybe they believe the programming they have, and the stuff they could acquire or develop, will finally work once it's handled better, and that's what this new Toonami is. That's the optimistic case.

The pessimistic case is that new Toonami is a straight-up nostalgia play, and that instead of picking up promising new anime licenses, we'll tune in next week and those "To Be Announced" slots will be re-licensed runs of Outlaw Star, Dragon Ball Z, and other 90's chestunts to warm the hearts of 18-35's who grew up with Toonami in the last decade.

Honestly, the pessimistic case makes way more sense to me. It would be good business. Criticize their recent licensing if you like (who knew Durarara!! would be such a dog?), but what other recent shows would have drawn in new anime fans? Moreover, consider that practically every anime series of any consequence in the last 5 years is readily available to Netflix and Hulu subscribers, and some are even free on Crunchyroll. If there were throngs of crossover fans flocking to watch the streams of High School of the Dead and Puella Magi Madoka Magica, and that's what [as] was reacting to… well… don't you think the kind of people who read ANN would have noticed it first? We're still the only ones watching that stuff.

Hey, I'd love to wake up Sunday and have my Facebook friends asking me "Hey, I was watching Cartoon Network before bed and they played some cool anime-type thing called Angel Beats; can you tell me more about it?" But I'm not expecting it to happen.

i think if they can get a show for cheap enough the will give it a try. or if they get something no one has for cheap like a Oreimo dub.... like that would happen
gamegodtre

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
kakoishii wrote:

Thats one thing I hate about media in general, in all honesty the vast majority of entertainment media is anything but "MATURE" but then if it was it would be pretty boring, lol. Most "ADULT" media is just as if not at times more juvenile then all-ages/childrens media, so overall I would say a shows intended demographic is overall irrelevant. However yes AS does primarily air shonen, however they COULD air more Senien series if they wanted to, will they? Probably not, but you never know. Also I still say calling FMA a kids anime is falicial, I think people give Japan too much credit, Teen anime maybe, kids anime, not so much. Not that it matters in the big scheme of things, but yeah.

Overall just like most american media is aimed at the LCD most anime seems to be aimed at Otaku (which one could argue is Japan's LCD, lol).

So really, yeah...just bunch o pointless semantics.

any who on a more light hearted note, I look forward to seeing what shows AS adds to the Toonami line-up and will defiantly be watching every Saturday.

wont it be funny if they air Queens Blade.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11