• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rightstuf changes Free Shipping policy for Canadians.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
@shawnek

The charge was so expensive because of a $36 duty fee. It wasn't Canada Post it was customs. Looks like their isn't anything to be done, but thanks for your concern. If I make any more Rightstuf orders, they're going to have to be very small; probably less than $100. Even with the shipping cost it would be cheaper than having these huge fees. Crying or Very sad
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:53 pm Reply with quote
That's bizarre. I've never been charged a duty fee on a TRSI package ever. And I recently received one that was worth almost $590.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Yeah this is some big time BS. I'm very concerned if I make another TRSI order I will be dinged with this again. I am a sad panda, and Customs can suck it. Cool
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:35 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
@shawnek

The charge was so expensive because of a $36 duty fee. It wasn't Canada Post it was customs. Looks like their isn't anything to be done, but thanks for your concern. If I make any more Rightstuf orders, they're going to have to be very small; probably less than $100. Even with the shipping cost it would be cheaper than having these huge fees. Crying or Very sad

Were there non-DVD, non book items on your order that would have been manufactured in a foreign land? We are required to provide country of origin on everything these days, trying to figure out what they would have charged duty on, or if perhaps the duty is an error where they put numbers in the wrong field. I want to take care of this for you, so feel free to contact me directly with order#s and such at darklord (at) rightstuf.com
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Yeah this is some big time BS. I'm very concerned if I make another TRSI order I will be dinged with this again. I am a sad panda, and Customs can suck it. Cool

Also now customs is pre-cleared on our side so hopefully some of the randomness will go away.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Thanks shawnek, I just sent you an email. This is customer service people!!!!! Very Happy
firehawk12

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I must have missed the message on a previous email, so I haven't changed my order yet.

My only fear about using couriers is the problem that I have with all couriers - if you miss the package, which can come at any time from the "convenient" hours of 8am to 8pm, you have to go to some warehouse district that's hours outside of the city in order to pick up your package. I don't know if this is the case with all posters, but I know that I can just walk to my local post office after work if I miss a package (which is usually what I end up doing).

I wish there was an option to pre-pay taxes and still use Canada Post. Amazon.com uses this option and even refunds you if your package is not charged the full amount of duties that they collect (I recently received a 17 dollar refund), but maybe the Amazon.com method is a more difficult way to handle international shipping? I have no idea.

Is Fedex going to be the only option for Canadian orders going forward?
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote
firehawk12 wrote:
I must have missed the message on a previous email, so I haven't changed my order yet.

My only fear about using couriers is the problem that I have with all couriers - if you miss the package, which can come at any time from the "convenient" hours of 8am to 8pm, you have to go to some warehouse district that's hours outside of the city in order to pick up your package. I don't know if this is the case with all posters, but I know that I can just walk to my local post office after work if I miss a package (which is usually what I end up doing).

I wish there was an option to pre-pay taxes and still use Canada Post. Amazon.com uses this option and even refunds you if your package is not charged the full amount of duties that they collect (I recently received a 17 dollar refund), but maybe the Amazon.com method is a more difficult way to handle international shipping? I have no idea.

Is Fedex going to be the only option for Canadian orders going forward?

Fedex will be the only option used going forward.

However, in terms of your concern, we were told:

The delivery driver will attempt delivery. If they are comfortable, they will leave the package. If they are not comfortable, you are not available, they will leave a note, asking for instructions for re-delivery, or changing delivery to an alternate address. They will attempt delivery 3 times. At that point, the product will be returned to us (Right Stuf).

Also, if you want, you can put a permanent signature release form on file form in, and they will always leave it either at your home, or a designated location selected by you:

https://www.fedex.com/ca_english/signaturerelease/

"The FedEx Signature Release Program allows our courier to leave your package at a safe designated location without having to obtain a signature from you when you are not available to sign for the package."

You can also choose to have your package shipped to your place of work if you'd like. Since the taxes are prepaid, there's no issue of COD upon delivery. Honestly, this is probably preferred as generally an office always has a person available to sign for things. That's what I do personally for items I buy. However, everyone has different preferences. I hope this info is useful for you.
firehawk12

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes, I know about signature release and those options, but I live in an apartment so that's not a viable option for me.

Thanks for the reply though. Smile

Oh, but if you are taking questions, is the process that Amazon.com uses for Canadian/international deliveries not something that you guys can do on your end?

I honestly have no idea what they use to ship, only that they collect taxes before hand and I get my package from them via Canada Post.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I'll definitely be using the "ship to my office" option.
firehawk12

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, shipping to work isn't much of an option for me.

I'm sure this would complicate things, but I do wish there was a choice between the two.

(Well, the Amazon.com option would be the most ideal since it's a combination of the two I suppose.)
UchihaProject

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Pre-ordered Casshern Sins the Complete Series from Right Stuf on the 24th of January using the new shipping method. Got a message from FedEx yesterday and I should be getting the package tomorrow, hopefully.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Whoa! That's lightning fast compared to the old system.
UchihaProject

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Whoa! That's lightning fast compared to the old system.
Yeah, I placed an order in early January using the old system, and that order still hasn't arrived >.>

Must be going through customs.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:24 pm Reply with quote
No doubt. I've had packages from TRSI in the past that took 27 days to reach me thanks to the Customs dill-holes. You may already know this, but you can actually track that older TRSI package. Just go into Order Status under Your Account, View Order the package in question and scroll down. You should see the tracking number there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10