• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Assassination Classroom season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

BTW Nagisa and Karma speak English exactly the way advanced Japanese JR high students who have never lived abroad speak. At least in my limited experience. Nicely done there..

This. Also I thought the English of the American astronauts was fairly believable, if a bit dry acting wise. Can't expect them to be good actors outside their native language, so that's fine. I was a little disbelieving of their knowledge of Japanese intially but I guess they had a Japanese astronaut there so knowing Japanese would be helpful, so there is a possible reason to know it.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:58 am Reply with quote
IMO the space stuff is when AssClass jumped the shark. They had a real strong moment with the Kyano stuff and Kurosensei's flashback but it all goes down hill in quality from there, things start to feel rushed or are just not explained well.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20

Yeah, if your intended interrupts your love confession to whip out a gun to assassinate someone, it might be wise to pull back a bit. Wink

I dunno, it still feels like the Principal's Heel Turn was too complete too quickly. It's one thing for him to see the error of his ways, but kinda weird to now see him downright jovial palling around with Sensei like old war buddies. I'd buy it more readily if he just began working on reforming his curricula and repairing the relationship with his son while keeping an uncomfortable distance from Sensei for awhile.

But I did enjoy the various relationships we got to see, with the Karasuma/Irina leap forward to cap things off.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It's one thing for him to see the error of his ways, but kinda weird to now see him downright jovial palling around with Sensei like old war buddies.

I felt kinda the same way but it is consistent at least with Koro-sensei's personality. He never holds a grudge.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:47 pm Reply with quote
what error of his ways ? he is still confident on what he's doing, if anything he only accepted that there are situations in which other methods can work too.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:49 pm Reply with quote
At this point, I think Dr. Zoidberg's assessment of M.A.S.H. nicely applies to AssClass: "See, this is how it starts. First with the jokes, then with the heavy stuff."
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:20 pm Reply with quote
10 times everyday
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Something about Karsuma's line, "Make it educational," makes me think the yearbook is going to play a bigger part than just fond memories for the kids. Maybe it will convince the public they weren't all brainwashed and traumatized or something.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'm bad at reading between the lines or I'm simply not watching the show as closely as I should, but I'm a little unclear on what the class's endgame is at this point. Do they want to save Sensei so that they can be the ones to do him in? Do they want him to live out the rest of his natural life, assuming he's still able to die naturally? Do they want to continue trying to kill him while secretly hoping they don't succeed? I understand that we're dealing with a complex relationship, but the class's collective goal (provided there is one) seems a little muddled.
BinBouGami1234

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote
So is the show just going to ignore the fact that the Reaper 2.0 shouldn't have been able to enter the tentacle-destroying force field?
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:52 pm Reply with quote
BinBouGami1234 wrote:
So is the show just going to ignore the fact that the Reaper 2.0 shouldn't have been able to enter the tentacle-destroying force field?

The show omitted a few panels from the manga that show Yanagisawa having the field distorted from the government HQ to let them in.

Quote:
The one real stumble is Kayano's non-death scene, which comes across as a cheap emotional ploy that the show quickly undoes after the battle ends.

From a writer's standpoint, I agree with this. From a fan's standpoint, the weeks of waiting to see if Kayano survived were brutal.

But for the anime's purposes, yeah, it's a moment that would've been more suited as an episode cliffhanger if they wanted to establish more tension. That said, AssClass doesn't have the time for that anymore, so this is about as well as they could do it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:57 pm Reply with quote
^ Looks like.

Episode 23

But it also looked to me like, rather than Yanagisawa just being blown away by the white light, it was being blasted through the anti-tentacle force field that did him in, so there's that. If that's what happened. His last words didn't help me sort it out. :/

::sigh:: I guess the idea that electric shock restarts a heart that's stopped beating is forever embedded in the public consciousness worldwide now. I'll just try to pretend her heart was merely fibrillating all that time she had a hole in her chest bleeding out...

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:

From a fan's standpoint, the weeks of waiting to see if Kayano survived were brutal.

But for the anime's purposes, yeah, it's a moment that would've been more suited as an episode cliffhanger if they wanted to establish more tension. That said, AssClass doesn't have the time for that anymore, so this is about as well as they could do it.

Weeks of waiting to see if she survived? It was like 2 chapters dude, i mean yes technically that's weeks but it wasn't really that long or suspenseful IMO. I'm inclined to agree with some of the others, it feels like a cheap story moment.

This is you basic "Powers of Friendship" story beat, not that it's really a bad thing, people shouldn't have to die to make something more impactful, coming close to death or being injured drive in the same effect. Fairy Tail and One Piece are still able to have emotional moments without killing people.

Which is why it works here, prior to this point no one has really died in AssClass, so having a major blow come to Kayano of all people would feel forced and unnecessary.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But it also looked to me like, rather than Yanagisawa just being blown away by the white light, it was being blasted through the anti-tentacle force field that did him in, so there's that. If that's what happened. His last words didn't help me sort it out. :/

That's exactly what happened, actually. Shooting himself up with tentacles was unsurprisingly enough, not a wise decision.

Snakebit1995 wrote:
Weeks of waiting to see if she survived? It was like 2 chapters dude, i mean yes technically that's weeks but it wasn't really that long or suspenseful IMO.

look man she was cute and she looked dead and that wasn't okay because she was supposed to date nagisa after college and
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Fairy Tail and One Piece are still able to have emotional moments without killing people.

Well for the most part at least spoiler[with the obvious exception of Ace for One Piece. I can only think of one exception to that for Fairy Tail which is Igneel. Both have the opposite, namely emotional moments by bringing back people presumed dead (Fairy Tail: Lisanna, actually in a different dimension; One Piece: Sabo, didn't actually die when his boat was destroyed by the Celestial Dragon]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10