• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Recovery of an MMO Junkie

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
This is 1 of few shows this season I really look forward to. As others have noted, total surprise another show about gaming and gamers would become alluring. Huge win...so far.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I thought the reason episode 5 was titled "secret triangle"was because it would focus on kowai, sakurai and moriko..

Turns out it was about kanbe, sakurai and moriko.. With kanbe knowing both of their "secrets". Their true gender.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:29 pm Reply with quote
So, is it actually still considered weird to play an opposite gender character in games, hell one of my characters was female in WoW when it first came out and no one I played with back then cared and that was in like 2004.

In fact, in many asian MMO's some classes are gender locked so you can only play as a male or female if you pick certain classes so there's bound to be people playing the opposite. oh well, guess it's just a plot point for this particular story.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:07 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
So, is it actually still considered weird to play an opposite gender character in games, hell one of my characters was female in WoW when it first came out and no one I played with back then cared and that was in like 2004.

In fact, in many asian MMO's some classes are gender locked so you can only play as a male or female if you pick certain classes so there's bound to be people playing the opposite. oh well, guess it's just a plot point for this particular story.

I played a ton of MMO but I've never even heard someone mention somebody else in game avatar gender. Especially since most player have multiple avatar, at most people would mention how certain piece of gear look better on a specific gender.

Between this and the multiple coincidence necessary for the plot to proceed I think it's just a case of "don't ask question".
Dardre

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:17 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
#844391 wrote:

I played a ton of MMO but I've never even heard someone mention somebody else in game avatar gender. Especially since most player have multiple avatar, at most people would mention how certain piece of gear look better on a specific gender.

Between this and the multiple coincidence necessary for the plot to proceed I think it's just a case of "don't ask question".

No, it still comes up. GIRL: Guy In Real Life, crossplayer, or similar terms. Roughly half the players I know of both sexes crossplay. If you don't know the sex of another player, do you just assume they are a guy, or do you just refer to them by their character's sex?

I personally just use whatever sex their character is unless I know them in real life.

Is it a big deal? Eh, it depends. I've seen conversations in guilds about concerns of being 'catfished'. How real those concerns were, I couldn't say. They have come up though. In this case, Morimori has deliberately played up being a guy. So that could be seen as being deceptive.
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I didn’t realize the manga had been on hiatus for 2+ years until I went back into the ANN archives. That would partly explain why the show will only be 10 episodes long, plus one Blueray special. *sigh*
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:17 am Reply with quote
I find I'm getting a little uncomfortable with how Moriko is being treated by this show. Koiwai going through ex-employee records to find info on her (on Yuta's behalf) is pretty dubious, and pushing her into a date she's clearly not interested in is worse still. Her shopping trip to restock on clothing and cosmetics that society expects of her if she's to be in public felt kind of depressing to me actually. The twist is that she's accounting for the prices in terms of loot boxes. I'm just hoping this show is smart enough to see that as a gray area: living life as an MMO junkie is kind of sad and pathetic, but is grudgingly meeting society's beauty expectations (for an obligatory date with a guy you're not interested in) really any better?

Fujimoto acts like kind of a dick to her too, but at least he doesn't bust her chops over the big lie she's been telling everyone.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:33 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I find I'm getting a little uncomfortable with how Moriko is being treated by this show. Koiwai going through ex-employee records to find info on her (on Yuta's behalf) is pretty dubious, and pushing her into a date she's clearly not interested in is worse still. Her shopping trip to restock on clothing and cosmetics that society expects of her if she's to be in public felt kind of depressing to me actually. The twist is that she's accounting for the prices in terms of loot boxes. I'm just hoping this show is smart enough to see that as a gray area: living life as an MMO junkie is kind of sad and pathetic, but is grudgingly meeting society's beauty expectations (for an obligatory date with a guy you're not interested in) really any better?

Fujimoto acts like kind of a dick to her too, but at least he doesn't bust her chops over the big lie she's been telling everyone.

No one forced her to meet society beauty standard, she's doing that on her own. Could have just showed up without make up in baggy cloth and that would have been fine (I know I'd never notice).
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quote
I'm starting to get curious just how disillusioned the Japanese workforce is becoming. (and if this anime will ever broach that question) Re:Life and now this show both present us with a main character who intentionally LEFT what at first appears to be a solid career. The reasons in Re:Life make sense and there's various things about that in the show (if you haven't seen it, you should), and now I'm left to wonder about MoriMori's exact motivations for leaving the workforce.

I haven't really had issue with Koiwai, and I do NOT expect this show to go there, but it'd be interesting if he was used as an example of what's "wrong" with some companies (since he seems to enjoy his job and many people in this thread seem to dislike him). But back to my original point, there seem to be a fair number of shows recently with people rebelling against the "salarayman" life.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
there seem to be a fair number of shows recently with people rebelling against the "salarayman" life.

Hataraki Man covered some of these issues back in 2006. As I recall, the young marketing executive in REC, from the same year, was less than enamored with his job, too. Another 2006 entry, Bartender, had some episodes with disgruntled employees like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PRVoTyyU5o.

Thirty-year-old Mutta in 2012's Uchuu Kyoudai ("Space Brothers") gets fired from the automobile company he works for after head-butting a superior.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:
there seem to be a fair number of shows recently with people rebelling against the "salarayman" life.

Hataraki Man covered some of these issues back in 2006. ...

Sakura Quest has Sanae. I'm sure there's plenty more, I went to look at the anime list and that actually raises a DIFFERENT but related question. Do you think the recent proliferation of isekai stories may be BECAUSE there's so many people that want to "escape" the current way of life, especially the salaryman culture. An interesting point of reference is Saga of Tanya the Evil which shows the main character as an "evil" (I would actually say amoral, but borrowing from the title...) office manager who is killed in (for all intents and purposes) episode 1 to then be reborn in another world as a vicious soldier.
michizure

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
I haven't really had issue with Koiwai, and I do NOT expect this show to go there, but it'd be interesting if he was used as an example of what's "wrong" with some companies (since he seems to enjoy his job and many people in this thread seem to dislike him).

On the other hand, he quit the job he had while he was in contact with Morioka. He seems to have gotten another fairly quickly, but it appears he wasn't happy with working until midnight.
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:45 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
I'm starting to get curious just how disillusioned the Japanese workforce is becoming. (and if this anime will ever broach that question) Re:Life and now this show both present us with a main character who intentionally LEFT what at first appears to be a solid career. The reasons in Re:Life make sense and there's various things about that in the show (if you haven't seen it, you should), and now I'm left to wonder about MoriMori's exact motivations for leaving the workforce.

I haven't really had issue with Koiwai, and I do NOT expect this show to go there, but it'd be interesting if he was used as an example of what's "wrong" with some companies (since he seems to enjoy his job and many people in this thread seem to dislike him). But back to my original point, there seem to be a fair number of shows recently with people rebelling against the "salarayman" life.

Warning: source material spoilers.

The reason Koiwai gave for quiting his old job was because spoiler[he found out that Moriko had quit hers. I think he knew she was having a hard time, and when she finally couldn't take it any more and left he finally also got fed up with their old company and left too.]

Regarding why Moriko quit, spoiler[the manga reveals that Moriko's supervisor would harshly reprimand her, and because her department was so short on people, she had to do the work of both her boss (who was too busy) and her trainee (who aren't trained). Combine overwork with a hostile work environment, I can totally see why Moriko would eventually say "f this!" and quit. The supervisor now works at the same company as Sakurai, and we see a glimpse of her in the ED as the lady with the braided hair. I don't know how much of her and Moriko's past we'll see, since the show still has yet to introduce her, but she definitely plays a big role in Moriko's past. That being said, supervisor lady seems to have mellowed out by the time Sakurai met her (or at least learned from her past mistakes in how she treated her workers) as he observes she's not as mean a person as the rumors say she is.]

[Edit]: added spoiler warning. Errinundra.
michizure

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Not as much to talk about this week: we got some good developments, but mostly as extensions of elements that had already been established.

At this point, Sakurai is totally clued in, but hesitates to take the next step -- no matter that he desperately want to. Morioka is enjoying the attention in real life, but seems to like her net life better. Koiwai can't be serious for more than 30 seconds at a time. He seems committed to getting Sakurai together with Morioka (and teasing them both mercilessly in the process), but he might also be having second thoughts about trying to keep her for himself.

I'm glad to see that Sakurai remembers meeting Morioka on Christmas Eve, fleeting as it was. It's clear, though, that -- while Kanbe knows Lily's player is male -- Fujimoto doesn't know who he is, and may not even realize that Sakurai plays FdM.

The subtitles for the conversation between Koiwai and Morioka about playing games were farther off than usual. The line about Sakurai being a "completist" might have been a clue for Morioka (since Lily didn't spare any expense to acquire the complete faery event outfit), but in the original Koiwai says something more like "he's a borderline hikkikomori." It made me happy, though, that the FdM background music was playing while Morioka talked about her online friends.

I like that we see Lily's status change after Hayashi says she's not online but before she appears. It's that level of attention to detail that lets me enjoy obsessing about this show. I also note that Nico was online -- likely a bit of foreshadowing.

Which brings us to the preview: apparently we will get to see Nico in person after all. Morioka's avatar from the Opening also appears to be real in setting, which leads me to wonder whether it's from a previous game we haven't heard about yet, or it's new, perhaps to allow her to play as a female?

And the angels make another appearance as well. I'm guessing their names are Yuki and Haasu, based on the Episode 2 credits. If so, Morioka might have been making a pun in an earlier episode when she said that her previous online friend gave her courage ("yuki").
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I suspect I had overly high expectations for Moriko and Yuta's get-together (I'd been eagerly awaiting it for a week) but I did find it kind of underwhelming. It's possible I was also hoping that Yuta would reveal that he is Lily. It's funny - for most of the series I was always hoping there'd be more real world stuff instead of prolonged "in game" interaction. I finally get an episode where that's true and it just felt kinda... flat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 14