• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Hanebado! [2018-07-17]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino

The problem is those exaggerated faces they put on Ayano, is too caricate. But if you can see past that it's actually quite good.

I agree the caricatures of her face are quite extreme but I have seen this animation style used often and I think they do that to indicate an internal change that is just my take I can't really know the mind of the creator. The eye's Ayano had before that last scene were the dead psycho eye's while the scene at the end they drew in her pupils and gave the eye's feeling again as if life had returned.
as far as Connie is concerned I wonder if she feels like Uchika is a bad mother figure , she does not seem to be upset about having someone take her in and even if it is flawed love sharing it with her. Connie really wants a family something she apparently does not have.
I have no intention of trying to defend Uchika , I find her single minded mentality to be very much flawed but even so I don't sense malice from her. I love a fairytale story as much as the next person. Lots of that in anime this is a show that strikes me as being quite based in reality where what we ideally would want is replaced by the real world where people make bad choices based on flawed reasoning but are generally not evil people.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Mugen1style wrote:

I agree the caricatures of her face are quite extreme but I have seen this animation style used often and I think they do that to indicate an internal change that is just my take I can't really know the mind of the creator.

I know, that's why I said that it's a bit exageratted, with all this high quality animation and all.

Mugen1style wrote:

I have no intention of trying to defend Uchika , I find her single minded mentality to be very much flawed but even so I don't sense malice from her.

That's why she is mentally will.
I believe that any tutelary council in the world your remove her custody, she is insane and can't respond for her actions.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Mugen1style wrote:

I agree the caricatures of her face are quite extreme but I have seen this animation style used often and I think they do that to indicate an internal change that is just my take I can't really know the mind of the creator.

I know, that's why I said that it's a bit exageratted, with all this high quality animation and all.

Mugen1style wrote:

I have no intention of trying to defend Uchika , I find her single minded mentality to be very much flawed but even so I don't sense malice from her.

That's why she is mentally ill.
I believe that any tutelary council in the world your remove her custody, she is insane and can't respond for her actions.

Last edited by Panino Manino on Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I wish it were true but unfortunately I don't know of any parent losing custody over abandonment where they leave the child with relatives and send money to support them, the burden to show a parent is unfit for custody in a situation where there is no physical/sexual abuse taking place is quite high. The grandparents in this case could sue for custody but would probably lose the case. There are many types of abandonment as well lots of them are perfectly accepted in society. For instance sending your child to boarding school for there entire school life. Or going off to pursue your career leaving your child with relatives or even Legal guardians as long as there is monetary support the parent will not lose custody. Unfortunately I know this to be true at least here in America it is.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:09 am Reply with quote
Mugen1style wrote:
[snip]....Aragaki will finally achieve what she has been striving for for the last 3 years while Ayano will have 2 more years to reach her new goal which should be winning nationals and having a great time doing it. [/snip]

It should be pointed out that this is mostly a personal match, as BOTH of these girls are going to Nationals already (unless Nagisa blows out her knee). Ayano can lose this match and still win the national tourney... which seems even more likely if she can learn to enjoy playing again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Mugen1style wrote:
[snip]....Aragaki will finally achieve what she has been striving for for the last 3 years while Ayano will have 2 more years to reach her new goal which should be winning nationals and having a great time doing it. [/snip]

It should be pointed out that this is mostly a personal match, as BOTH of these girls are going to Nationals already (unless Nagisa blows out her knee). Ayano can lose this match and still win the national tourney... which seems even more likely if she can learn to enjoy playing again.

You know , I would like to say I misspoke but in reality I missed the ref to inter high tournament. When finals was mentioned I assumed Nationals. To be honest I have never been good enough to even get into any tournament so you will have to excuse me for not knowing how it works. Thanks for pointing that out I feel i have gained a little knowledge on the structure of Tournaments. Smile
Skydrop

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:07 pm Reply with quote
whoa even the ann written off this show as "Hanebad"!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Mugen1style wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Mugen1style wrote:

You know , I would like to say I misspoke but in reality I missed the ref to inter high tournament. When finals was mentioned I assumed Nationals. To be honest I have never been good enough to even get into any tournament so you will have to excuse me for not knowing how it works. Thanks for pointing that out I feel i have gained a little knowledge on the structure of Tournaments. Smile

Personally, I'm confused about the structure myself. I only know the structures of these tourneys from anime sports shows and have never seen one that hosts the final of the regional tournament a week or two after all of the rest of the matches. A match that very well didn't need to be played, as both are already qualified, both are from the school (so little bragging rights), and the coach has been advised by more than one person that he shouldn't even allow them to play.
Did they really just open up a gym to host one match? Is the boys final at least also scheduled?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Personally, I'm confused about the structure myself. I only know the structures of these tourneys from anime sports shows and have never seen one that hosts the final of the regional tournament a week or two after all of the rest of the matches. A match that very well didn't need to be played, as both are already qualified, both are from the school (so little bragging rights), and the coach has been advised by more than one person that he shouldn't even allow them to play.
Did they really just open up a gym to host one match? Is the boys final at least also scheduled?

It was said very clearly that the final game would be in a later date.
It's just an anime thing to give the characters more time do build up drama.
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:47 pm Reply with quote
This last episode actually made me want a second season with more of the Ayano we got to see at the end. She was perfectly snarky and childish and I would have much rather have seen more of that then dead eyed Ayano. I for one wanted Ayano to win, unlike how the reviewer assumes everyone is cheering for Nagisa. I never much liked Nagisa, she was abusive in her loss and the way the entire team especially the coach and teacher seemed to be pulling for her the entire time really annoyed me. Everyone just wrote Ayano off as "she doesn't need help, she is already so good" and left her to just stew in her own negativity when anyone with half a brain could have seen something was not right really ticked me off. Their coach in particular is just a bad coach all around. He picked a favourite and went full in on her development abandoning the other girl because "she was naturally gifted." At one point he even questions doing this but then never attempts to fix his mistake.

Nagisa herself annoyed me for the same reason. At the beginning of the show she went on and on about how she worked hard for what she got and she had no talent and then she turned around and thinks the same way about Ayano that the other kids thought about her while she was growing up. I would have expected her to acknowledge the amount of actual hard work Ayano has put into badminton since she was child, much more I would argue then even Nagisa has put in, but she just calls it natural talent and neglects an obviously suffering teammate just like the rest of them.

At the end of the day the only ones that noticed something was wrong with Ayano and tried to do something were Elena who sputtered unable to fix it even though she tried and the pink haired twin tail girl that got her sick when they were kids.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:57 pm Reply with quote
@switchgear1131 I do not quite agree with your interpretation, but in this case it’s a plot hole caused by the fact that in the original manga Ayano gets her personal trainer, and Nagisa with Tachibana turns into a kind of sports duet with subtle romantic vibes. The good part of this arc was campy, so it's no surprise that the anime got rid of it.
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, the show should have ended with Ayano going off the deep end by getting a gun, killing her mother right in front of Connie or Kaoruko. Then killing herself, shooting herself in the mouth, still having that psychotic expression, all this having been witnessed to the horror of her friend or rival. A scene directly inspired by this movie scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjvZQaV_i-M

That would have been a much better ending.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:22 am Reply with quote
It's a shame that the anime fixed some bad parts about the manga but at the same time neglected it's own weak parts.
I agree that made no sense and is annoying that talk about talent.
The coach really disappointed me after having caused such a good impression in the beginning.

If they did a second season then it would be 100% original.
When I remember that "evil" badminton group and that old man...
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I have to to say, Hanebado is such a beautifully schizo sports show. It has the animation and artwork that is on par with KyoAni's Free and Production I.G.'s sports shows. Plus the first 3 episodes of the series and some of the character focus episodes does show this has promise as expected from the Haikyuu script writer. Hanebado had the ingredients finally to have a female-led sports show to be a solid counterpart to the popular male-led ones. But MAN, this got some rocky stuff going on especially dealing with Ayano and her mom which things got comically evil.

I am curious how the streaming numbers were because there's no way disc sales are propping this up. And who knows when's the next time another production committee is going to take another stab at a similar subgenre (unless at some bizarre miracle, that cheerleader anime Anima Yell! ended up being a surprise hit).
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, I finally caught up with the last episode, and... That wasn't as satisfactory as I'd hoped. Don't get me wrong; the match between Ayano and Nagisa was great, and I think Ayano's character arc resolved well enough. However, the elephant in the room that is the fractured mother/daughter relationship definitely felt glossed over. I'm not convinced Uchika fully understands the harm she did to her daughter, and I'm not totally convinced that Ayano would behave so forgivingly. While I enjoyed this show for the most part, I think the writing needed work and definitely a better sense of balance. I don't know if I'll be revisiting this show, apart from animation segments.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9