• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: 10 Anime Suggestions for Toonami

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnowMusket

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I had a stupid thought. Anyone remember old cartoon blocks that would be about half an hour and it would have several different unrelated episodes?

Well, each Panty & Stocking episode is actually two different stories in one episode (for the most part). What if P&S was cut up to double the episode count. Then the extra time could be used for an Adult Swim original animation or filled in with two five minute episodes from different webseries anime.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:47 am Reply with quote
Since Toonami's an action block, I highly doubt that Ouran and Haruhi will make the cut. But, in addition to all the other shows listed -- which were great, btw -- I think Heroman would be the perfect fit for Toonami. It almost seems as if that show was produced specifically for U.S. audiences, with its action, American stock characters, and sunny southern California setting.

I also think X-Men and Blade would make great additions to the block, and would appeal to both crowds of action animation lovers: otaku and DC/Marvel cartoon fans.

Hell, while we're at it, Sunrise and Williams Street could collaborate for a joint venture in the form of a resurrected Doozy Bots. If that doesn't scream Toonami, I don't know what does.

I can hear TOM on the Reactor now: "Alright, peeps. That's it for Goku and the gang. Now, it's time for stereotypes and tropes galore. Doozy Bots is next".

Awesome.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:32 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
I also think X-Men and Blade would make great additions to the block, and would appeal to both crowds of action animation lovers: otaku and DC/Marvel cartoon fans.

Aren't the Marvel anime series already slated for G4?
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
They already aired on G4, if I'm not mistaken. Not like they can't air on CN as well, though.

I was just pointing out that they'd fit right at home on Toonami.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:28 am Reply with quote
Two of these were on Syfy and pretty much failed. I suspect the same will happen on Toonami for those specific shows. Besides those, good list overall.

I still dont understand why people Like Gurren so much....Seems like some joke the internet is playing on me.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:45 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Kiyomaro wrote:
Altorrin wrote:

3) AS hates fanservice.

What's funny about that is AS will have some rather scantily clad material in their own original programming, yet they don't want it in the anime they air. Either it's a double standard or there's something else at work here.

The head of action acquisitions is a feminist who hates fanservice. She doesn't direct the comedy acquisitions. She's also a complete toolbox.

Please stop spreading unfounded libel about Kim Manning.

Your irrational hatred was cute a couple years ago, but since I have to read it on two forums, it's gotten kind of annoying.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:08 am Reply with quote
AnimeRick14 wrote:
I wish the Case Closed/Detective Conan back on the air.

It is on the air, unless you live in the Southern California area with access to a digital receiver on Channel 18.2 (UTB). And have to watch it every weekend in the morning, with English Subs in JP language.

Haruhi was also showed on this channel as well (1st season), but this was way back when 18.2 started becoming an all-digital channel (and possibly the start of all-digital TV for that matter).

Soundmonkey44 wrote:
I'd love to see Black Lagoon & Ergo Proxy on eventually, probably won't happen, but would be nice.

Black Lagoon? Probably/not, Ergo Proxy already had its screentime on the Fuse Channel.

On topic seriously though: Series that would not really make any sense to show on that list is...S.C., Ouran, and T.R.C. - What would make sense there would be DtB, T&B, EotE, and F.T.

Notable exclusions is shows that have already been seen on other Cable/Sat. channels anyway, so I don't see the point airing them on CN/Toonami/AS anyway.

Although I don't have any notable suggestions, I'll just wait and see what 5/26 for the east coast/sat. (or actually 5/27 for the west coast/cable) has in store.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:41 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I still don't understand why people Like Gurren so much....Seems like some joke the internet is playing on me.

There is only one reason why people like that anime:
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:51 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I still don't understand why people Like Gurren so much....Seems like some joke the internet is playing on me.

Some people like it for the energy and animation. I like it because it's a 70s super robot anime that's not overly long, overly repetitive, low-budget, or boring. It's like everything those anime would have wanted to do, or have done, taken to the logical extremes, rolled up into one show with enormous animation talent behind it. Others like I guess for characters like Kamina or Kittan.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:09 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Gurren Lagann is a well written show, that returns to the days of the 70's to 90's when mecha was king among anime. It's also one of the few recent mecha anime where the Directors head appears to be on his shoulders and not up his ass.

I also really liked how the series questions between sacrificing the few to achieve a goal or risking everyone to try to save everyone. It never does really give you an answer to that.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:22 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Two of these were on Syfy and pretty much failed. I suspect the same will happen on Toonami for those specific shows. Besides those, good list overall.

Monster wasn't on the list. (Gurren did rather good ratings for SyFy according to Manga Ent reps, who h is why it got reran numerous times).
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:28 am Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
@KLAC: Speak proper english please, also, was wondering what happened to you after you got banned from Funi Forums, how yea been you incoherent babbler you. Laughing

@Kelly: Well since this Toonami will be on [Adult Swim] I don't think Black Lagoon is impossible, but yes it is sadly unlikely. But hey, a guy can dream. Razz

But yeah I just hope we get a nice mix of new and classic anime.

Edit: Oh wait, I know...SHIKI! Think about it, AS could use a good horror show.

uh can't get in funi website right due to region internet effect besides i'm outside of u.s. area for good grief.

really besides give look ideas if plan for what new version keep original factors give mention newer era fans yea they something to wow them.

besides time-line there in when it return take to maybe last thing to expect show the FUN BAGS?!

give wait & see til may 26.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:27 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

There is only one reason why people like that anime:

Hey, thats not true, thats only half the reason we like the show. Laughing The other half is all the Mechs. Cool

But honestly it was Michelle Ruff's performance that even made me like Yoko (seriously dat woman's voice...me gusa! Embarassed Razz )

But yeah back on topic. Less then a week till Toonami comes back, its so close I can practically taste it! Here's hoping the schedule is a good one, and the block is able to grow & expand overtime. Lets shoot for an all action/anime [AS] Saturday night by 2013! Cool
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
Reborn and Fairy Tail.

Gundam AGE and 00 would be nice which won't happen since Bandai is out, but please let me dream. xD

I don't have cable or dish, but I just want VIZ to get motivated and finally get Reborn! on DVD and TV.
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see Natsume's Book of Friends. I have to admit I'm not sure if it's even licensed here, but I think this would appeal to many different demo's. It also has 50+ episodes. A couple obvious choices (by obvious I am using the criteria of being recent and action oriented) would be Fairy Tail, Steins;Gate, Star Driver, and Toaru Majutsu no Index. Finally, my out of left field choice would be Kimi ni Todoke, obviously shojo highshool drama is a stretch for Toonami, but I swear if people gave it a chance KnT would find it's audience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12