• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-02-25

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
LordRedhand, not all translations are subjective. Sometimes one really is superior to the other. "Future-men" and "Time travelers" is one of those situations.

You're going to come off as being a closed-minded R1 zealot if you seriously cannot admit that to be the case.

I'm the first to admit that the majority of R1 translations are superior to fansubs', but sometimes you have to call a spade a spade.

Okay, I'm willing to admit that the industry makes mistakes, like any other industry. However before I call for their heads/dive into fansubs, I have to consider context, situation and what they intended for the line to be.

Has anyone considered that maybe the line is suppossed to sound corny, in an old bad science fiction movie kind of way? Saying "They are future-men." does indeed sound corny, something that you couyld hear in an old sci-fi movie.

They may also be trying to get a greater sense of otherness that Future-men implies over time-traveller.

So translation is more than just getting the worlds right, it also has to be in context with the scene and what you are trying to convey.
edzieba

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote
No, it's just an overly literal translation of the phrase used for 'time-traveller'.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't. People involved with it have admitted (to me) that it was a mistake due to the font chosen. I'm not going to name names here.

stop. trying. to. blindly. defend. the. industry.

As you said, They are not infallible. Exclamation

-Tofu
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote
"Go away cucumber!"
I'd like to know what show he's watching.

I like the amount of work that goes into a fansub but sometimes it can be a bit much. Match the text to the hair color. We get the point that you really enjoy putting that much effort into it. But you don't have to go so far as building a boat in a bottle. You do have a life. Laughing But I don't prefer one over the over. As long as it's legible, readable and makes sense in the context is good enough for me. So to the domestic subbers you don't have to be that extensive, but take time to take the utmost care and do it right. Like not using white subs in the worse possible case scenario. I do like reading. Razz

Last edited by Chrno2 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
No, it's just an overly literal translation of the phrase used for 'time-traveller'.

Strange from what I've heard some say that's what they want.

Tofusensei wrote:

It wasn't. People involved with it have admitted (to me) that it was a mistake due to the font chosen. I'm not going to name names here.

stop. trying. to. blindly. defend. the. industry.

As you said, They are not infallible.

Then it's called working within the paramenters that they set up for themselves. They admitted it was a mistake due to font size/type, so they won't do it again, but to not buy something over something so small as a overly literal translation? That can be easily explained why it hapened like that? Then I'm willing to say that the series isn't as important to some as they say it is.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
They admitted it was a mistake due to font size/type, so they won't do it again, but to not buy something over something so small as a overly literal translation?

I'm not sure who you are arguing with now lol.

I point to my post on page 7:

Tofusensei wrote:
allen001 wrote:
Agreed, quite a bit of meaning is lost when san or chan are just cut out. After all, they denote the mood the character is in, the familiarity of the characters, or sometimes just for effect. Anyways, after seeing official subs once on dvd volume 1 of Haruhi, I never, ever, ever, touched official subs again. God, how can you people stand those giant yellow letters that blare out at you and take away attention from the actual show, instead of most fansubs that try to style the subs to blend in.

Hi, welcome to the forum. Might I suggest a radical concept...

Buy the DVDs anyway and then watch the fansubs instead? That way you are helping the industry out (and lord knows they need your help).

Anyway, this is a very dumb conversation, I am confident people agree with me on the issue, and I am impressed with your steadfastness to defend the industry. Let's end it at that.

-Tofu
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
That point wasn't at you specifically but the you "in general". i.e. "
Those who watch fansubs and say I'm going to buy this! and then don't.

Edit:

Funny you should mention that lol, my name does mean "Strong, Enduring, Resolute" so yeah for my name at least practicing patience and defending make sense.
IAmNeverGoingToPostAgain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Here's a thing to consider

I am a college student, with no job, and barely making rent. Naturally, what money I get goes into food, living, that sort of thing. As you may guess, all the anime I watch is fansubbed.

If I actually had money to throw around, maybe I would consider buying a box set or two. I still wouldn't pay for individual DVDs. I'm as cheap as you can imagine, and am fully aware that I'm harming the industry. But here's the thing- I honestly can't say I care. Yes, I am the very picture of a destructive anime leech.

On the other side of the spectrum, we have a close friend of mine. He recently graduated University, but has yet to find a real career. He currently works incredibly long hours at a local grocery store, for next to nothing. And he, like a dutiful fan, spends every last cent that doesn't go toward living expenses on anime DVDs. The idea of even being in the same room as a PC loaded with fansubs is appalling to him, and his hobby addiction has driven him into near-poverty.

So here's my message to you- people like me who kill an industry to watch free cartoons are pretty stupid. People like my friend who kill themselves to support cartoons are just as stupid. Keep that in mind while you keep this everlasting argument alive.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:11 pm Reply with quote
IAmNeverGoingToPostAgain wrote:
Here's a thing to consider

I am a college student, with no job, and barely making rent. Naturally, what money I get goes into food, living, that sort of thing. As you may guess, all the anime I watch is fansubbed.

If I actually had money to throw around, maybe I would consider buying a box set or two. I still wouldn't pay for individual DVDs. I'm as cheap as you can imagine, and am fully aware that I'm harming the industry. But here's the thing- I honestly can't say I care. Yes, I am the very picture of a destructive anime leech.

On the other side of the spectrum, we have a close friend of mine. He recently graduated University, but has yet to find a real career. He currently works incredibly long hours at a local grocery store, for next to nothing. And he, like a dutiful fan, spends every last cent that doesn't go toward living expenses on anime DVDs. The idea of even being in the same room as a PC loaded with fansubs is appalling to him, and his hobby addiction has driven him into near-poverty.

So here's my message to you- people like me who kill an industry to watch free cartoons are pretty stupid. People like my friend who kill themselves to support cartoons are just as stupid. Keep that in mind while you keep this everlasting argument alive.

Which is true to a point, no money is not a legitimate reason to watch something illegally. I mean if anyone is interested or cares, look at my profile, it says I'm unemployed currently. So I currently have nothing coming in to support my hobbies right now. Yet I will not watch fansubs becuase I want the industry to succeed, I have patience knowing that series that I want to see will be released, and finally I know that not every anime that exists is worth my time to watch for a variety of reason ranging from I don't like the genre to it is to foreign a concept for me to grasp right now(especially if it is a comedy series.)
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Miitan wrote:
As to Twilightmaster, if I'm right in thinking that

Quote:
Most of the time, people trying to justify fansubs as 'superior' are just trying to cop out of buying legit DVD's in the English production. (And by far, are the ones with little to no humor on the subject, as Zac pointed out.)

is indeed referring to myself in some way, I would like to inform you that I haven't watched a fansub in weeks and that my 300+ anime DVD collection would like strong words with you. I also did not state that fansubs were 'superior' so if you could please take your strawman somewhere else it would be greatly appreciated.

I apologise in advance if you were not.

That was actually my quote originally, and I was not thinking of any specific poster when I wrote that, but rather an accumulation of forum-posted comments over the past couple of years.

On an unrelated matter:

IAmNeverGoingToPostAgain wrote:
So here's my message to you- people like me who kill an industry to watch free cartoons are pretty stupid. People like my friend who kill themselves to support cartoons are just as stupid.

Oh, I agree; one must live within their means, but I commend him for at least trying to be responsible even if he can't afford it. The people I truly have no respect for (and the ones I referred to in an earlier post) are the ones who wouldn't pay to support the industry even if they could/are able to do so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Yeah...this is getting ugly. I mean geez, why can't we just say the comic was teh funneh and does have some merit/truth to it and be done?

On a side note, Tofu, I'm amazed at your steadfastness in defending your hobby despite your saying you "support" the R1 industry and then griping about it.
Ryllharu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Let me see if I can summarize some of this thread:

- People who spend a great deal of money on anime will try to justify their considerable expense by blindly claiming they are superior.
"They are paid to translate and the licensing fees and staff salaries are shoved onto me, the consumer, so they must be superior!"

- People who watch only fansubs will blindly defend fansubs as superior in order to justify that they are stealing.
"I don't want to pay for anything, so the official releases must be of inferior quality!"

The same argument from two different sides, both wrong.

There isn't much an excuse for solely watching fansubs after a viable option to support the original creators presents itself (R1 dvds, importing R2 dvds, etc).

But that doesn't mean that the legal copies are always superior. Any fan who's been aroung since the VHS days knows that all too well.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Yeah...this is getting ugly. I mean geez, why can't we just say the comic was teh funneh and does have some merit/truth to it and be done?

That's a good thought. Hold on to it. Don't let go... don't let go... whoops, you let go:

Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
On a side note, Tofu, I'm amazed at your steadfastness in defending your hobby despite your saying you "support" the R1 industry and then griping about it.

You couldn't "agree to disagree" without firing off a last salvo, eh? Couldn't just let the matter rest, the way you say you wanted to? And, considering you are just as stubborn (not "steadfast", that's too nice a word for it) in riding your pet "fansubs are the Beast 666" hobbyhorse, I think this is more than a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

I'm going to lock this thread now, before anyone else feels a need to make a "side note".

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10