• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Awesome People of Color in Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:52 am Reply with quote
^ Black Dynamite is very recent.

And the Hispanic being considered white thing really confuses me. I remember in Middle School and High School the standardized tests would ask questions about what ethnicity you are when putting your information down. One question had Chicano, Mexican, or Central/South American as a choice. Chicano, I choose. The next question, however, asks something slightly different and the choices are white, black, Asian, Pacific Islander, or Native American (or something like that). I literally did not know what I was supposed to choose ( I think I ended up choosing white). I have never been referred to as white, I have never heard anyone call a Hispanic person white, so what's the deal? Other than that, the list was nice, particularly the inclusion of Dutch. I think Nadie from El Cazador de la Bruja is Latina, though now I'm also confused if she would be considered a person of color.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:08 am Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
And the Hispanic being considered white thing really confuses me.

Lots of Spanish-speaking South Americans are of white, European descent. Like Pope Francis, for instance. "Hispanic" is kind of useless for ethnic classification.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:05 am Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
It's not fair, and yes, we should be pushing towards a society where it doesn't matter, but right now it does. And trying to pretend otherwise only keeps us from getting to the goal you describe here.

I'm already at that point (Why so slow, society?). Frankly, I could give two shits about the color of my or anybody else's skin color.

Suuuuuure. Which is why you're so upset about people celebrating and highlighting non-stereotypical presentations of people of skin colors that don't match your own. The whole "I don't see race" thing? I don't buy it. It tends to be spouted by people who don't want to change the way things are by arguing that the way things are isn't really that racist.

Or maybe I am completely misinterpreting your rage here, in which case please clarify. How about a little test: what do you think of what's going on in Ferguson right now?

But honestly, even if you are some perfect post-racial equalist, the viewpoints of a few individuals matter a lot less than society as a whole. And for society as a whole to change, we have to be more supportive of groups that have been less supported in the past to achieve any level of equality.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:37 am Reply with quote
No Anthy? Confused
nargun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:51 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
The whole "I don't see race" thing? I don't buy it. It tends to be spouted by people who don't want to change the way things are by arguing that the way things are isn't really that racist.

See, because racism is irrational, all racists -- all people -- are to the extent of their racism irrational. Everyone thinks they're justified and their prejudice is reasonable and justified. Racism still exists, but people's own racism is -- inescapably -- invisible to them.

Which means: you can't introspect yourself into perceiving your own racism. Whatever prejudice you do have seems to you justified, same as a ruler always matches itself.

Which also means: logically engaging with racists to get them to see their own racism is futile [a fairly straightforward consequence of the above].

Which also means: asking people to logically explain to you where you're a racist is pointless [if you're a racist, then by-definition you won't understand the explanation even though the explanation is true; if you're not a racist, then the explanation won't make sense on account of not being true.]
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Or maybe I am completely misinterpreting your rage here, in which case please clarify. How about a little test: what do you think of what's going on in Ferguson right now?

But honestly, even if you are some perfect post-racial equalist, the viewpoints of a few individuals matter a lot less than society as a whole. And for society as a whole to change, we have to be more supportive of groups that have been less supported in the past to achieve any level of equality.

You do misunderstand my statement as rage, just as you apparently have misunderstood me from the get-go.

The situation in Ferguson, Missouri is disgusting. You have people calling themselves protestors (in actuality they are rioters) that are destroying properties owned by people who had nothing to do with the situation. They believe the grand jury's verdict to be unfair, but how are their actions fair?

Achieving equality is done by treating all people equally, not by giving exception to some to compensate for having not done so in the past. Again, giving exception to some people leaves out the rest; how is that fair (equal)?
R.G.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
What puzzles me is Bob Makihara from Tenjou Tenge isn't on this list
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:

Achieving equality is done by treating all people equally, not by giving exception to some to compensate for having not done so in the past. Again, giving exception to some people leaves out the rest; how is that fair (equal)?

Don't remember seeing anyone even remotely arguing this point in any other List column, which is by definition, a count down of characters meeting certain criteria and not writing up other ones.

I did not see you arguing this in the column about blondes not including brunettes, about warrior princesses not including dudes, or elegant princes not including princesses. Literally every single column is about "here are some people/places/events that have something in common."

Yet I focus on minority groups for one week and the entire thing is "racist" and "exclusionary" and everyone who enacts their privilege of being "colorblind" to someone's skin color is the actually the most not racist (even though its easy to ignore something that has no baring on your day-to-day livelihood). Please.

How about instead we stay in the spirit of the actual piece and discuss other positive PoC characters in the media, anime or otherwise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow! A lot of these are pretty good choices. In fact,I agree with your number one pick,Claudia Grant. Not only is she courageous but also she's very pretty. Any guy would flip over her.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Fire Embelm of Tiger & Bunny is a flamboyant gay black dude.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Mari in Project A-ko would be my choice. Who's more awesome? Nobody.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
How about Leila Barthes from Stellvia? On top of being a great commander, I thought she was awesome for giving the students an adrenaline-rushed free ride at the G-Force room. Anime hyper
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
To me, the most interesting black characters come from anime, not western animation. Simply making a character black just to have diversity is an empty gesture done to appeal to social groups or perhaps network executives. If the writer and creator doesn't want that character there, then it's already imposing creative restrictions upon them, which is never good for any medum. Which we already have enough of in certain mediums already.

I personally found The Boondocks (the TV show) to be absolutely full of interesting black characters. Of course, the show is also intended to be social commentary regarding race issues in present-day America.

The big thing is that in order to have compelling characters of a particular race, the writer needs to have been part of or witnessed issues that race has had. Someone like Margaret Cho is as effective as a stand-up comedian as she is, for instance, because she's lived the stuff she speaks of.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:04 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

I personally found The Boondocks (the TV show) to be absolutely full of interesting black characters. Of course, the show is also intended to be social commentary regarding race issues in present-day America.

The big thing is that in order to have compelling characters of a particular race, the writer needs to have been part of or witnessed issues that race has had. Someone like Margaret Cho is as effective as a stand-up comedian as she is, for instance, because she's lived the stuff she speaks of.

Black characters from black creators do tend to be more meaningful since they have first-hand knowledge. (Works for other minorities too.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Whoever wrote this must of had a lapse in judgement when they chose the title. Saying "people of color" is a pejorative term and has racist connotations that dates back to as early as 1793.

How hard is it to just say The List - 6 Awesome Black Characters in Anime?

PS: you forgot to add Yoruichi Shihōin (bleach), Ed (cowboy bebop), Mihoshi Kuramitsu (tenchi muyo), Killer B (naruto), Mr Popo (Dragonball), and Villeta Nu (Code Geass).

Last edited by #827614 on Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12