• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Heavy Object (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:
The key words were "I Assume". Of course they (nor the audience, for that matter) would know until they did it. That's kinda the whole point.

There are good assumptions, bad assumptions, and assumptions that just should not be made because they make no sense.

The situation is that I can see no set of coherent unknown facts where disabling the antenna is not constructive to the heroes' purpose. They didn't have to blow it up -- just cut it at the obvious splice. Even if you assume for the sake of argument that the bad guy has a fall-back, disabling the asset has the effect of degrading their capability at virtually no cost to yourself. The worst case is that if you did not actually degrade the enemy's capability you have a) denied them access to it for the immediate future and b) learned that the antenna is not part of their plan so you can focus on what else it could be.

This isn't really a big deal -- just a bit of lapse of logic on the part of the story.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 24 (finale):

Not bad, this episode (finale) did resolve the arc and problem with Milinda. It was rather predictable though with they saved her and themselves because of what Quenser had given to her before in the previous episode.

The action was nice and showed the real danger of Objects again. It's actually one of those things I find quite neat about this show: being that it's able to show that Objects are legit threats on the battlefield.

Thought the ending and everything coming together in the end was alright.
Ho Ho Ho also is quite cute in a few ways Wink

Rating it as decent/good.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 24 (finale)

I am not entirely happy with this being the end of the series, not that it is bad outright. I think it was a good arc to finish on, pretty much reversing the situation where Baby Magnum has to be stopped and Melinda saved from herself. And it was a good way to end the arc really, but there was barely any time for a wrap-up that I was looking at the time with 6 minutes off from the end and thinking that there was no time to effectively end the series. We were left with a quick slideshow showing Melinda having a day off I think like from an ED and it was just over. There is clearly more story left, and I kind of really want an OVA that will just finish off with the characters rather than the objects. Maybe some mention of what the fallout of this episode was since we tended to get that the episode after an arc ended.

There are a few things I really want to say about this episode too. I think that the boys being hurt at the beginning of the episode was really pretty effective, not entirely original but it built some tension for the rest of the episode. I like that we were in a situation where it was not just Baby Magnum the good guys vs everyone, it was okay to see Ohoho as just another character, something I think had been built up. A couple nice CG scenes too, I really liked the view from inside Baby Magnum where Melinda's view was all CG that gave it a sort of video game like look, although this might be personal taste. And the CG image of I guess the inside of the barrels being mirrors was really pretty. If felt like someone put a lot of work into to sell the series' last tech explanation.

I liked Heavy Object. It took the mecha genre and made it a battle of moving fortresses that was unlike mecha usual in Japanese culture. It was a while back I watched a video that explained that there are cultural differences between how Japan (Asia) and the West depict mecha. Where Japan favours having mechs that look more human with a focus on them being more agile and having human like weapons made larger, while the West likes to focus on the more tank like designs and the mechas being bigger/slower (look at say something like Pacific Rim). Heavy Object totally moved away from the expected.

The series is not really perfect in all regards, some of the tech explanations can be a bit heavy, and character moments can feel like they don't quite fit or they did not maybe have the payoff you might hope to do so. But I really kind of liked this, I think that it improved and or stayed pretty strong through to the end, which I think might be that it decided to not focus too much on philosophy too much at the end that other anime tend to kind of get bogged down by. I give a rating of Good (7/10), and I would say it is a strong Good.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:30 pm Reply with quote
episode twenty-four

Checkov's mirror-necklace was a red herring! I'm honestly surprised.

This final episode felt a little rushed, but I rather enjoyed it. Ohoho was in top form and I like the work they've done in this episode, and her previous appearances, to build her as re-occurring, yet not malicious, foe. She's had the most fleshing out of any of the characters outside the main quartet and it's worked to the series' benefit to have at least one antagonist that was more than a representative of a single misguided ethical/political position.

I'm sort of sad that this was an anime-original ending. If it didn't need to return things to a zero-point where, if there's another season, it can just continue adapting the stories in the source material there would have been a chance of setting up an arc here with Qwenthur actually being held by the Intelligence Union for a time. It'd be interesting to see Havia, Froylatia and Milinda forced to come up with a clever plan of their own instead of leaving all the thinking to an engineering student.

That the Battlefield Cleaning Service still called Qwenthur master after all that was a really amusing detail.

DuskyPredator wrote:
It was a while back I watched a video that explained that there are cultural differences between how Japan (Asia) and the West depict mecha. Where Japan favours having mechs that look more human with a focus on them being more agile and having human like weapons made larger, while the West likes to focus on the more tank like designs and the mechas being bigger/slower (look at say something like Pacific Rim).

Might just be my childhood talking, but I've always considered Battletech / Mechwarrior to be the gold standard for Western mecha.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10