• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Promised Neverland Season 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simona.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:05 am Reply with quote
I guess there must have been some financial or logistical reason(s) for them to hack it mercilessly like that, because 11 episodes is kinda weird for a cour.
It's really too bad, they should have made at least 2 more episodes, if not a whole extra cour, to give it justice.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:54 am Reply with quote
Raven.In.Pink wrote:
Quote:
after this, i am SERIOUSLY SCARED that demon slayer's eventual second season might end up like this!

I...Uh...Definitely hope Ufotable won’t be THAT careless. Demon Slayer and its movie are such massive hits, that it be a dumb move to stray from what they’ve been doing.

Anyway.

Wow. That was. Wow. Even if I was personally disappointed with the manga...It wasn’t. This. To be fair, I also felt pretty apathetic by the end of the manga (like a “well...Yeah...It ended” apathetic.) But the anime’s ending...I never imagined I could reach a higher level of feeling nothing.

considering on how they belong to aniplex, id say yea. WE ALL SHOULD BE SCARED!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:46 pm Reply with quote
When 7SEEDS released and I said:
Sven Viking wrote:
Trying to cram an average of 1.33 volumes into each 22 minute episode would be madness with almost any manga, let alone something like 7 Seeds. At the same pace, the Promised Neverland adaptation would have been 3.75 episodes long, for example. The plot would have similarly become a ridiculous mishmash of disparate elements with no emotional weight.

I didn’t mean I wanted to see it demonstrated. Sad
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:18 pm Reply with quote
There's another recent adaptation that came to mind that needed to rush through content: Karakuri Circus adapted a 43 volume manga into 36 episodes. Whole volumes had to be skipped and characters and plot points could either appear out of nowhere or feel fairly undeveloped.

But despite all that was skipped or came out of nowhere, and the animation issues caused by producing three cours without splitting them up, the anime did take its time to play out most fights and cover the reasons why each side was fighting. It was clearly rushed, but if you're willing to roll with plot points that are suddenly introduced, it was still entertaining since it still took the time to establish why things were happening. They let the strong source material shine through.

The Promised Neverland S2 didn't bother trying after a point. And I think it could have been ok if they didn't waste time in the middle, especially when talking about what Norman planned to do and the alternative plan. Then they could spend time on something more important, like discussing how to break into Grace Field rather than just making it super easy. Maybe break away from the source material even more to simplify the plot, like excluding the Ratri family and making William Minerva someone else. That way there's no need to montage away important plot points in the final episode.

There are options here, unless they weren't allowed to change things that drastically. Maybe the project expected more episodes and there was no time to redo the pacing and content of the story.

Regardless of the reason, it turned out bad. And I suppose most compressed adaptations aren't good. But as Karakuri Circus demonstrated, a compressed adaptation doesn't have to be bad. It's far from perfect, but in my opinion, that one is good.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:26 pm Reply with quote
It’s definitely an advantage if you can skip whole arcs and gain enough time to do justice to the parts that are selected to adapt. That’s less about cramming y volumes into x minutes than it is about essentially skipping volumes, though.

While Promised Neverland S2 skipped whole volumes, even after that it still had too much left to reasonably cram into the runtime. It was certainly made worse by making poor use of the time they had available, though.

Skipping arcs is also something that’s a lot easier to do successfully with more episodic stories. I didn’t finish Karakuri Circus but what I saw gave me the impression it would probably maintain a more battle-based structure.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Skipping arcs is also something that’s a lot easier to do successfully with more episodic stories. I didn’t finish Karakuri Circus but what I saw gave me the impression it would probably maintain a more battle-based structure.

Good point. Karakuri Circus was more battle-based than plot-based (at least in the adaptation), so it could get more away with fudging the plot that connected the battles.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I loved season one. Thought it was a very good series and I loved the characters. That it could crash and fail so bad in the second season is disheartening. And that it could crash and fail worse than Arifureta is beyond belief.

I feel sorry for the animators and production staff, because they are going to feel the heat for this, even though the director and producer should be held responsible for ruining such a promising series.
gedata

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
I will defend the final act of The Promised Neverland manga as being genuine great and most of the criticisms against it being inherently rooted in bad politics until the end. But this anime season.... It may be not be among the absolute worst of the worst of Japanese animation that I've ever beheld but it has to be the most upsetting to witness unfold for me in real time at least.

I'm interested in hearing this defense, particularly the "bad politics" part since that's the first I've ever heard of that idea being brought into the conversation.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:53 pm Reply with quote
simona.com wrote:
I guess there must have been some financial or logistical reason(s) for them to hack it mercilessly like that, because 11 episodes is kinda weird for a cour.

Not if you're noitaminA, 11-episode cours are par for the course for that programming block.
If anything, I found the 12-episode length of season 1 to be weirder, though that extra episode was definitely put to good use. Unlike this one, which probably could have afforded an extra cour if CloverWorks wasn't so busy with other shows.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Considering that the mangaka himself approved of this season, my conspiracy theory is that this was all a ploy to get people to appreciate the manga's ending more.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:26 am Reply with quote
Apparently he wanted his name taken off it by the end, so how much he approved of which aspects may be arguable.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:52 am Reply with quote
For clarification: S1 only managed to sell 1k with its DVD/BR sales. This is nothing short of a bomb, especially considering the scale of the first season's production. You'd bring up manga boost as a counter argument, but those only go to the author and the publisher. The studio and the committee got nothing out of it, it was clear that the next season will gain no prfofit, no matter what it will be.

But judging by the date, it was way too deep into production by the time manga came to an end, so the committee ordered the staff (Shirai was probably called in by them to make it happen) to cram the rest of the manga in to maximise the range of promotion (the original pre-COVID air date was not too far from the final volume).

And then it had to be moved towards two other shows the studio was busy with, which in turn divided the time left to animate the thing by three (one of the animators being forced to complete the work that required three weeks in FIVE DAYS). And sure enough, the end result finally crumbled by the finale.

But still, between all the rush job, you can see the directors, voice actors try to make something out of it. Even the slide show has decent moments of conveying the completion of the character's journey (stuff within the demon world notwithstanding). I really think this was less about being lazy and more about working within an awful time and end goal conditions, the end result (the stillshow, in particular) comes up not nearly as shocking anymore.

Tldr, it was doomed from the start.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, I suspected something along those lines but didn’t know any details. Sad that good shows that don’t fit into a few specific types of niches don’t usually make money Sad.
#Bird_Black

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:49 pm Reply with quote
#920423 wrote:
For clarification: S1 only managed to sell 1k with its DVD/BR sales. This is nothing short of a bomb, especially considering the scale of the first season's production. You'd bring up manga boost as a counter argument, but those only go to the author and the publisher. The studio and the committee got nothing out of it, it was clear that the next season will gain no prfofit, no matter what it will be.

Any idea why sales were so bad? The manga was really popular and it didn't seem like there was anything wrong with the anime. I don't buy dvd/BR so I don't know what really motivates people to buy this stuff in the first place though.
MysticGon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:55 pm Reply with quote
What a steaming pile of crap that was. I'm so disappointed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11