• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mobile Suit Gundam UC Anime Series Adds 7th Volume

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
More Gundam UC you say. Hell yes, I'll take it! Very Happy
evilkorpse

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
What the hell is up with that. Does that mean I have to wait till next year JUST so I can watch the next episode of Gundam Unicorn vol. 6
GhostShell

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
This should be good news. But each episode is already so expensive as it is. Now I have to buy another one. Oh dear...

As much as I've been enjoying the OAV's, I was thinking the exact same thing.
Norbie

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote
icomeanon4 wrote:
On the one hand, I'm a little annoyed because these things are expensive and I'd already planned my anime-purchasing budget around 6 episodes of Gundam Unicorn, like they told us there would be.

On the other hand, I'm super stoked because it's more GUNDAM UNICORN!!

Me happy too Very Happy

Yes, they are not cheap but at least they are spread out wide enough to save up for the next volume even if you have a very limited budget. I only have the first three volumes and don't expect to get volume 4 until the end of the year due to all the backlog of anime I want more. If they were limited editions, or first press editions (i realise the Japanese have FP editions with slipcases) for the American editions I'd be getting them first instead.

I had a look at the European Amazons and noticed that they also have Unicorn releases that come with slipcovers and booklets for the equivalent of $35 or so. Shocked Bummer that they only have Italian and Japanese audio options with Italian subs only as well.

Be nice
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
A truly bittersweet moment.

Obviously a new volume is a plus for me, I'd heard that it would be tough to cram in the whole story of the novels into only 6 OVAs anyway so this clears up that issue. And plus, apparently this volume will be over an hour long so it will most likely be the longest volume of them all.

Now the bitter pat is obviously the delay of volume 6. AAAARRRRGGHH!!! I know I'm greedy but I don't wanna wait that long!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Zetabag

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Rick Dom wrote:
GWOtaku wrote:
Episodes of Gundam UC have covered two of Fukui's books before, so this doesn't seem necessary at a glance. There are about four left (Black Unicorn, The Sky in the Stars, parts 1 and 2 of Over the Rainbow). It could be they're animating extra storyl, or maybe the remaining novels just have a lot more material.

The delay makes me sad, but it's not the first time and I've waited this long. Better for them to do it well than rush it.

They're at the point where they're going to divert from the novels. Already the OVA Banshee is different from novel Banshee, and the way the novels ended the story left a bad taste in people's mouths from what I remember reading.

Really that's interesting because all I keep on hearing is how people are afraid that the OVAs will stray too far from the source material. All I keep on hearing is how great the novels are.

Despite how different episode 4 was compared to its novel counterpart, I wouldn't say the OVA is completely diverging from the source materials and the look of the OVA Banshee can hardly count as evidence of the OVA diverting from the novels, I mean how the Banshee looks hardly affects the writing. I feel that while the OVAs will do a few things differently, it will ultimately end in the same way the novels do.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:25 am Reply with quote
Yes my friends, because the extra $50 they will be asking from you after already being $300 deep is too much. Everyone complains about the pricing, but these discs only come out every six months or so. It's literally less than $10 a month they are asking for the hottest title out there on day one. Are you guys supporting your anime hobby with allowance money from the parents or something? :p
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Yes my friends, because the extra $50 they will be asking from you after already being $300 deep is too much. Everyone complains about the pricing, but these discs only come out every six months or so. It's literally less than $10 a month they are asking for the hottest title out there on day one. Are you guys supporting your anime hobby with allowance money from the parents or something? :p

Allowances are the evil of the U.S. anime market. I keep saying that even tough some anime is expensive, you should be able to save money for it if you plan ahead. But if your daddy is paying for your anime, though luck.

P.S. remember that Bandai Entertainment released the first four Gundam Unicorn movies on DVD (at relatively cheap prices). I bought them, and they still look great in my opinion.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Anime should either be rented or watched on TV... actually buying series on DVDs is reserved for the hardest of the hardcore otaku. then again I live in Japan. Yet I still end up downloading it because I don't have a DVR...

I rented most of Unicorn, but the fourth episode didn't come out on rental for literally six months after it was released.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Anime should either be rented or watched on TV... actually buying series on DVDs is reserved for the hardest of the hardcore otaku. then again I live in Japan. Yet I still end up downloading it because I don't have a DVR...

I rented most of Unicorn, but the fourth episode didn't come out on rental for literally six months after it was released.

I mostly agree with your thinking, but SHOULD is such a strong and imperative word. You have a great point not wanting to buy anime living in Japan. But in the U.S. you do not have to be a super, insane, hardcore otaku to own anime.

I do not consider myself a super crazy otaku (and live in the United States), but I have a nice collection of 50+ series on DVD and Blu-ray. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A HARDCORE OTAKU AND GO BROKE IF YOU ONLY BUY YOUR FAVORITE ANIME (if living in the U.S., that is).
Banken

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:11 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Banken wrote:

I mostly agree with your thinking, but SHOULD is such a strong and imperative word. You have a great point not wanting to buy anime living in Japan. But in the U.S. you do not have to be a super, insane, hardcore otaku to own anime.

I do not consider myself a super crazy otaku (and live in the United States), but I have a nice collection of 50+ series on DVD and Blu-ray. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A HARDCORE OTAKU AND GO BROKE IF YOU ONLY BUY YOUR FAVORITE ANIME (if living in the U.S., that is).

I used to buy anime box sets back in the day, but only for series I *really* liked or *really* wanted to see.

Being from the US, I know how until the last couple of years the only way to watch it legally was either edited TV broadcasts or by buying DVDs, since rental from regular stores were very limited. Now we have Netflicks and Hulu/ANN TV/Crunchyroll/YouTube releases. It is a good time to be an anime fan. Especially since torrents make it 100 times easy to find anime than it was in the early 2000's.

In Japan, though, a DVD costs $90 and has two episodes. Hence the only people who actually buy them are hyper-core otaku or people with a lot of money. Most people just DVR it. Personally I like to browse Tsutaya since I don't have a DMM.com account. There are militant otaku who buy DVD's just so they can bitch about and feel superior to downloaders.
scineram

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:28 am Reply with quote
Well because they are.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
If the person wasn't going to watch the show without buying it, and then buys CDs, model kits, toys, and other goods after downloading it, the makes of the show end up making more money then if it wasn't for downloads.

I bought Initial D bootlegs (after DL'ng the first two episodes) and downloaded Fourth Stage back in the day, but I buy every new volume of manga since the anime stopped (literally the morning it comes out) and have put a large, large amount of money into Intial D arcade games.

All for a show I never would have watched if it wasn't for downloads being available.

The only superior thing about buying anime DVDs of every episode you watch is the regret you will face in 40 years when you wish you had saved more money for retirement.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:26 am Reply with quote
Even if this seventh volume is a way to provide proper pacing for the final bit of the series and not just a money-grabbing exercise, it won't change what will be a very disappointing ending. Yes I did spoil myself on the ending to the novels and I am very unhappy with what I read. An extra double-length episode isn't going to be nearly enough time to give even a halfway-decent justification to what happened.

That said, I'll still finish the animated series to my great expense of time and money. I'm an idiot like that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2