• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Adds Spice and Wolf, Yotsuba&!, Crescent Moon Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleuster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quote
^That's a good question. They have a few fixes they could correct in vol. 3 that I found hard to believe they could have made in the first place.
I haven't read anything published by Yen Press, but I'm sure a series like Yotsuba is in good hands.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Shocked Oh sweet googly moogly, I'm so, so, SO happy to hear this!!

First of all, I've heard great things about Yotsuba&!, and the mere fact that Yen was able to acquire it from ADV brings so much new hope for me! If they end up licensing more of ADV's suspended titles, especially Desert Coral, one of my personal favorites, I'll definitely be jumping for joy! Anime hyper Please, please, pleeeease.

They've already gotten a good reputation for "rescuing" titles in limbo, like what they did with Spiral, and absorbing ICE Kunion's catalog.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
This has made my day. Well the news about Yotsuba& that is.
Tratious

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
awesome can't wait to get Spice and Wolf
wanderingwilbur

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
A report on Mangablog.net states they picked up the 6th book and will be releasing it in September 009. Hopefully thats correct.

http://www.mangablog.net/?p=3425
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:27 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Man, I can't wait for the ADV-haters to find out that Yotsuba bombs like Aria and Tactics. Rolling Eyes

ICV2 Top 100 Graphic Novels for Month of Release:
Yotsuba vol 1 - 52nd
Yotsuba vol 2 - 48th
Yotsuba vol 3 - 39th
Yotsuba vol 4 - 34th
Yotsuba vol 5 - 31st

Yeah, that sure looks like a steady track record of failure right there. Rolling Eyes
heavyweather

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm very happy that I'll eventually get to read Yotsuba&! 6 in English! Thank you Yen Press!

I'm also intrigued by Spice and Wolf. If it's the original novels, than I would be very interested (and hoping that they'd pick up the Baccano! novels as well)
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel: Hey, if you want ADV to fail that much, then don't be too disappointed when FUNi is next, k?

Furu: So even though they made the top 100, they rank below the best-selling titles from other companies. Next.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote
yes that good news and i just hope that some one can pick up gunslinger girl and sola soon
WindAlchemistJen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I'll certainly be picking up Spice and Wolf when it's released(both the novel and the manga). Very Happy
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Fronzel: Hey, if you want ADV to fail that much, then don't be too disappointed when FUNi is next, k?

Furu: So even though they made the top 100, they rank below the best-selling titles from other companies. Next.

That is the Top 100 selling GRAPHIC NOVELS, not just MANGA. So yes, it should hardly be a revelation to anyone that Yotsuba did not sell as many copies as franchises like Batman, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Spiderman, X-Men, or The Fantastic Four from publishers like Marvel, DC and Dark Horse. But if you include only manga it ranked in the top 10, and usually behind such little-known titles as Naruto, Bleach, Inuyasha, and Fruits Basket. So I still fail to see how this classifies Yotsuba as a "bomb" by any normal definition of the term.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Furu: I imagine that, if it ranked so high in manga sales, it wouldn't take that long for someone else to snatch it up from ADV. So I'm guessing it does better-than-average in sales, and Yen is hoping it'll be bigger than that, because it can print more copies of it. The reason it'll probably bomb is everyone who wanted to buy the first five volumes already has done so; and thus the company will lose money on all the extra copies of those volumes, since it was a "niche" title in the first place. So I think Viz's re-release of Slam Dunk is probably the ideal model for other manga license-rescues: give "free" chapters to people buying more popular titles, and build a new audience through it.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
WindAlchemistJen wrote:
I'll certainly be picking up Spice and Wolf when it's released(both the novel and the manga). Very Happy

But which have they licensed? Since there are multiple print versions of Spice and Wolf out there, some clarification on whether they've licensed the novels, manga, or both, would be nice.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote
FANTASTIC!!!

Thank you Yen Press for releasing Yotsuba&! from ADV Manga Hell!
I am so looking forward to reading more.
edzieba

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Poking about the Yen Press site, apparently they already licensed the Spice & Wolf novels back in October for release this December, so either this is an incongruous re-announcement, or it's the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7