• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo Film's Trailer Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arekusei

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
How comes that Americans watch animes(yes with s at the end, it plural, although it can be used without s too, but using s is NOT wrong) with horrible dubs instead of original voices? Too hard to read text while watching? Dubbed voices are mostly horrible, so why punish yourself?
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:30 am Reply with quote
I love the guy at the end who yelled "omedetou!" while everyone was clapping.

Also, at last! It feels like it's been ages since Eva 2.0 came out. I'm so excited!
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote
Arekusei wrote:
How comes that Americans watch animes(yes with s at the end, it plural, although it can be used without s too, but using s is NOT wrong) with horrible dubs instead of original voices? Too hard to read text while watching? Dubbed voices are mostly horrible, so why punish yourself?

You couldn't be more wrong. Not all dubs are horrible. A good many dubs are pretty alright. And in some cases some dubs are reputably superior to the original Japanese voice acting.

I myself don't mind subtitles with original VA. I usually try watching both the dub and sub of anime I like and then stick to watching it in which one I like better. Or simply watch whichever is available.

Overall I'd prefer a good dub over subtitles because I actually like to watch the animation and artistry on display, especially in big budget anime films without being distracted by subtitles. Because I actually want to appreciate the art and hard work put into the animation too.
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Overall I'd prefer a good dub over subtitles because I actually like to watch the animation and artistry on display, especially in big budget anime films without being distracted by subtitles. Because I actually want to appreciate the art and hard work put into the animation too.

Well gosh jdnation, you don't have to make it sound like people who like watching with the Japanese audio don't appreciate art. That's not nice. :(
Arekusei

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote
[quote="jdnation"]
Arekusei wrote:

You couldn't be more wrong. Not all dubs are horrible. A good many dubs are pretty alright. And in some cases some dubs are reputably superior to the original Japanese voice acting.

I have yet too see a dub is better then Original? Ahh what? Can you even name a single one? They arent on the same level either. For most part that dont even sound anything near the original, therefore changing the character or are simple made by people with terrible voice acting. It like watching Game of Thrones in German - (beside it being cut compared to original) voices are horrible too.
Macron One

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to seeing it, although it's gonna be one hell of a long wait. With all the production delays this film series has gone through (weren't the 3rd and 4th movies planned to come out simultaniously in 2011 at some point?), i'm just going to assume that the 4th film will see its theatrical release in 2015 or later.

Arekusei wrote:
animes(yes with s at the end, it plural, although it can be used without s too, but using s is NOT wrong)

I take it this means you're one of those people who point at a field and say "look at all those sheeps over there!", because it's essentially the same thing you're suggesting here.

Last edited by Macron One on Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Arekusei wrote:

I have yet too see a dub is better then Original? Ahh what? Can you even name a single one? They arent on the same level either. For most part that don't even sound anything near the original, therefore changing the character or are simple made by people with terrible voice acting. It like watching Game of Thrones in German - (beside it being cut compared to original) voices are horrible too.

Personally I enjoyed Makoto Shinkai's "The Place Promised In Our Early Days" with ADV's English dub more than I did with the Japanese audio! There was some top-notch acting in that dub by actors who don't do much anime anymore. So sad! I thought their performances were more nuanced and interesting than the Japanese actors'. Maybe that's just my opinion, though?

HOWEVER, THIS HAS LIKE LITERALLY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FACT THAT A NEW EVA MOVIE IS COMING OUT SO WE SHOULD PROBABLY NOT GET INTO A HUGE DEBATE ABOUT DUBS VS SUBS AS IF WE ARE SILLY 14-YEAR-OLD BABIES POSTING ON USENET GROUPS IN 1997 WHEN THIS ARGUMENT ACTUALLY MATTERED.....
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
It's about time!!
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Macron One wrote:
L i'm just going to assume that the 4th film will see its theatrical release in 2015 or later.
I wouldn't assume so: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-12-31/final-evangelion-remake-film-to-open-in-2013
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Arekusei wrote:

Because having to read text while watching a scene is just as bad on the eyes as an oddly scripted dub is on the ears. It just depends on which one the person takes more stock in.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Arekusei wrote:
I have yet too see a dub is better then Original? Ahh what? Can you even name a single one? They arent on the same level either. For most part that don't even sound anything near the original, therefore changing the character or are simple made by people with terrible voice acting. It like watching Game of Thrones in German - (beside it being cut compared to original) voices are horrible too.

Cowboy Bebop, Baccano!, Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C., BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad, Black Lagoon, Yu Yu Hakusho, Fullmetal Alchemist....

Shall I continue?
terminus24

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome. Hope we get an actual good-quality one soon.

Also, I like dubs quite a lot, especially Evangelion's. And most of what Funimation does is pretty good. Viz is sort of in the middle/bad, I hate their Bleach and Naruto dubs, but Death Note is good, and Sentai would be somewhere between Funimation and Viz.

Anyways, why are we talking about dubs and subs in response to an Evangelion 3.0 trailer? It'll be awesome either way.

And only a little over 5 months till it hits theaters in Japan!
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
DarkPhoenixMishima wrote:
Alright then, time to wait out the two years before this gets dubbed.

The recent FullMetal Alchemist movie took less then a year to come out dubbed. Funimation has been releasing stuff faster lately.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

terminus24 wrote:
Anyways, why are we talking about dubs and subs in response to an Evangelion 3.0 trailer? It'll be awesome either way.

Because the silly weeaboo saw people speaking of the English language in a positive manner and got his panties in a twist. Razz
dandelion_rose

Arekusei wrote:

How comes anime fans don't learn Japanese and rely on text? Too lazy to learn?

Also that video just didn't even start for me. I assume that it's because of mass traffic. Mass traffic for a video of a video. Just imagine that. If Evangelion were a diva she'd be looking down at all those other little anime and going "you can only dream to be me."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7