• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: More Cameron on Battle Angel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:50 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Proman: It's real in the sense that it's been confirmed. Now whether it's real in the sense that it's actually going to happen is another story. The only film that's taken longer than GunM to happen is Terminator 2. And Cameron at least had the excuse of not being famous or influential enough back then to make it happen.

There are plenty of movies that took longer to happen. Ever heard of Orson Welles's "Man of La Mancha" (in fact that movie was never fully completed but it's all beside the point)? The fact that this has been confirmed makes it more real than the "Halo" movie which was never confirmed.
GATSU wrote:
And Cameron at least had the excuse of not being famous or influential enough back then to make it happen.

To make what happen?
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Cameroon is a country in Africa. /\ /\ /\
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:07 am Reply with quote
Proman: I meant the only film which took longer to happen for Cameron was T2.
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:13 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Cameroon is a country in Africa. /\ /\ /\

Well, done give yourself a pat on the back Wink .
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:15 am Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
This falls under the same category as the rumored Ridley Scott directed live-action Halo movie.

No, it doesen't. Scott declined the offer a while ago (he might want to reconsider it after the success of Halo 2). The whole rumor stared when Bungie said, something among the lines of "There won't be a Halo movie unless it's directed by Ridley Scott".
One the other hand, "Battle Angel" movie is very real.

I was speaking more on levels of coolness (i.e. very cool news) rather than likelihood.

And, according to IGN, the Halo movie is looking much more likely. Apparently Scott's biggest qualm with the first Halo (when the idea was first pitched to him) was that there was so little story to the original game. Now with Halo 2 and the novels, Halo's universe is pretty deep and textured and apparently Scott's much more candid to the idea.

Here's the latest word on the Halo movie.

Quote:

November 19, 2004 - As if there needed to be any more Halo hype, the Internet is abuzz today with rumors of a potential Halo movie in the works. If the rumors are to be believed, Director Ridley Scott, known for his excellent science fiction films Blade Runner and Alien, is looking at potentially directing said film, with Ed Harris potentially playing the role of Captain Keyes and Samuel L. Jackson playing Sargeant Johnson.

Microsoft came up with its own special comment on the subject: "Microsoft does not comment on rumors or speculation." Which naturally shocked us.

It's not the first time the notion of a Halo movie has been bandied around, but two generally reliable sites, halo.scifinews.de, and aint-it-cool-news.com have come up with leaks on it.

Halo.scifinews.de claims to have early storyboard drafts on the movie, with early pencil sketches of Ed Harris looking a whole lot like Captain Keyes. The draft images are not in any previous Halo art books. Ain'-it-cool-news.com received a letter from an insider at Warner Brothers, where Ronald Shusett and Daniel Alter are apparently in touch with Scott about a potential Halo movie, no doubt as part of some smart movers and shakers working behind the scenes at E3 and the game's unearthly sales records.

Here's an excerpt from the aint-it-cool-news.com letter:

"Now the tricky part is, apparently Ridley Scott has seen the materials before. And subsequently passed on doing it. But, with HALO 2 sales having been astronomical, Shusett and Alter's camp has been in-touch with Scott Free about it. What's more, upon reviewing the game, Shusett commented that it reminded him of STARSHIP TROOPERS, which apparently Ridley and him had considered collaborating on 20 plus years ago after ALIEN came out. Funny, considering Shusett's TOTAL RECALL director Paul Verhoeven went on to bastardize Heinlein's classic.

"Don't know if Ridley's budged. Or how serious Bungie is about licensing the movie rights. But a HALO movie from the creative team behind ALIEN, and who also toyed with STARSHIP TROOPERS, would seem to be a great fit. What I wonder is if these parties can't come to an accord, why wouldn't Bungie be open to somebody like James Cameron?"

Bungie, of course, has been offered the chance to make a movie before, and being the smart, thrifty developer it is, its team has said no to everybody. However, Studio Manager Pete Parsons recently said that if there was to be a movie made, it would have to be the right people, story, and timing. Bungie has also been quoted as saying that they're big fans of Ridley Scott and they would love having him behind such a film.

There is no word on whether Scott has yet to accept any deal. But according to our very own FilmForce.com, the legendary director has been hesitant to take up the project because he hasn't seen a world for the story.

Once again, we're all up speculation creek without a paddle. All we know is, where there is money to be made in the videogame world, Hollywood comes running.

Also, we're quite clear on another subject, which should make everyone pause for concern: while there might have been some excellent movies based on comic books, if the best videogame movie to date is Resident Evil, a potential Halo movie could be awful. If Ridley Scott and some very smart, very well-read Halo writers are put on the project, there is at least some hope.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:49 am Reply with quote
Actually, there was a HALO movie,it was called "Aliens" Razz

Last edited by the_soultaker on Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:10 pm Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:

Cameron has more class than that; his movies don't need to rely on cheap gimmicks.

Yeah, he hires worthless actors to star in his movies.
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
ShellBullet wrote:

Cameron has more class than that; his movies don't need to rely on cheap gimmicks.

Not as worthless as your post. Next time you decide to bash someone make sure they're actually "worthless".
Mikuji

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:16 am Reply with quote
Zeiram wrote:

nightwish!! haha

Ironic, i'm listening to one of their albums at the moment.

*wonders if we'll hear "I wish i had a (battle) angel"?*

for the record though, if they wanted to score the soundtrack... buy me 3 tickets Very Happy that would be awesome.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:01 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
ShellBullet wrote:

I wouldn't say that Bill Paxton or Micheal Behn or Leanardo Dicaprio worthless actors,his ex wife Linda Hamilton on the other hand.... Twisted Evil
Toboe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Yeah, Arnold Schwartzenegger, worhtless. Robert Patrick, worthless. Eddie Furlong, worthless. Kate Winslet, worthless.

I WILL give you Tom Arnold though. He is pretty damn worthless.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:14 pm Reply with quote
At 20+ million a pop I would hardly call Arnie worthless!
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Toboe wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Yeah, Arnold Schwartzenegger, worhtless. Robert Patrick, worthless. Eddie Furlong, worthless. Kate Winslet, worthless.

I WILL give you Tom Arnold though. He is pretty damn worthless.

Hey leave Tom Arnold alone. Evil or Very Mad lol

Well when you think about it Roseanne started to suck when Tom left the show he was one of the executive producers. Confused
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Andre Linoge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:40 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

No, all that proves is that they've never seen Gigli, and rightly so.

Ricki: It's turkey time.
Larry Gigli: What?
Ricki: Come on, gobble, gobble.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3