• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Maria Holic Alive Sub.DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
fireaxe wrote:
I know the original Maria Holic series wasn't so well received among most yuri circles around the internet,
Have any series typically considered yuri/girls-love/shoujo-ai or whatever been well-received among yuri circles around the Internet? It seems like most of them just serve as platforms for Erica Freidman and the like to bash so-called "Loser Fan Boys."

Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto are the most recent ones so far that are well-received and real yuri titles.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
fireaxe wrote:
I know the original Maria Holic series wasn't so well received among most yuri circles around the internet,
Have any series typically considered yuri/girls-love/shoujo-ai or whatever been well-received among yuri circles around the Internet? It seems like most of them just serve as platforms for Erica Freidman and the like to bash so-called "Loser Fan Boys."

Are you suggesting that Maria Holic is typically considered a yuri/girls-love/shoujo ai series? I don't think I've seen anyone consider it that once it started airing and people realized what the show really was.

darkchibi07 wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
fireaxe wrote:

Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto are the most recent ones so far that are well-received and real yuri titles.

Those are also basically the only real yuri titles that have been made in the past five years, and they were from 2009. Whether Yuruyuri should count is debatable, and I'd lean towards "no" on that one. Ooooooh. Oh. I can think of one that technically counts, but I didn't care much for the show in general and, more importantly, the ending was rage inducing. The only "yuri" anime I can think of that contains actual lesbian relationships and ends with a couple getting together and getting the kind of "happy ending" that is utterly standard in hetero romance stories is freaking Strawberry Panic. And maybe Simoun. That one is a little complicated due to the gender issues and other things.

Things are pretty [expletive] terrible when it comes to yuri anime, so yeah, some of us aren't terribly thrilled when the show's basic premise is "A lesbian get tormented by a cross-dressing guy and has nosebleeds as she pervs out. Comedy gold!"
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:17 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Are you suggesting that Maria Holic is typically considered a yuri/girls-love/shoujo ai series? I don't think I've seen anyone consider it that once it started airing and people realized what the show really was.

Fair point. Although it does center around a lesbian character, it's not truly a yuri title because she never actually gets into a relationship.

Quote:
Zalis116 wrote:

Those are also basically the only real yuri titles that have been made in the past five years, and they were from 2009. Whether Yuruyuri should count is debatable, and I'd lean towards "no" on that one. Ooooooh. Oh. I can think of one that technically counts, but I didn't care much for the show in general and, more importantly, the ending was rage inducing. The only "yuri" anime I can think of that contains actual lesbian relationships and ends with a couple getting together and getting the kind of "happy ending" that is utterly standard in hetero romance stories is freaking Strawberry Panic. And maybe Simoun. That one is a little complicated due to the gender issues and other things.

So you're ignoring Blue Drop and not counting Kashimashi, then? I could maybe understand on the latter, since the love interest's status as a former boy makes the gender relationships hazy, but the former is unquestionably a yuri title.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Fair point. Although it does center around a lesbian character, it's not truly a yuri title because she never actually gets into a relationship.

Exactly. It's also why I called Yuruyuri debatable. Yeah, its yuri flavored.... but its pretty much all one-sided crushes that don't begin to go anywhere. And one sort-of couple, in the sort of subtexty way that people tend to read into girl friendships in other shows (Himawari/Sakurako). There are no actual couples or anything resembling a real romantic relationship. Sure, its yuri.... in the sense that Acchi Kocchi is a heterosexual romance.

Key wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

So you're ignoring Blue Drop and not counting Kashimashi, then? I could maybe understand on the latter, since the love interest's status as a former boy makes the gender relationships hazy, but the former is unquestionably a yuri title.

*Spoilers for both, especially Blue Drop*
spoiler[Actually, I just didn't think of Kashimashi. I do think its status as a yuri title is iffy, for the reason you mentioned. Whether you think it counts or not depends on whether you think the genderbending issue factors in. I also don't remember which girl she ultimately ended up with (in the OVA, in which she switched to the other girl) and for one of them, Hazumu originally being a boy does factor in for her side. So it could arguably count for the second list, but not the first since it was more than five years ago. Blue Drop was the "oh, oooooh" title I was referring to. It technically counts since they end up with each other.... very briefly, before one of them dies in a very stupid, utterly rage inducing ending. I barely cared about the show by the time it got there and I was pissed. Didn't want to mention the title since I thought the comment was pretty indicative of the kind of ending it had. It would barely fall in the "actual yuri" within the last five years list (aired late 2007).... definitely does NOT fall into the second list.]
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:27 am Reply with quote
this is one of the last 'DVDs' I plan to buy for the rest of my life
I may pick up MM! though, not sure about korewazombie yet.

the show looks pretty good upscaled, though not very much in SD on an LCD. The extra commentary is just a secondary audio track, you can select it from your UI menu at any time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2