• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayate the Combat Butler's 2nd Season Titled, Dated

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
More Hinagiku hopefully this time...and maybe the Maria arc in the manga Very Happy
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
omnistry wrote:
Quote:
It will debut on Japan's TV Tokyo station and its network of affiliates on Friday, April 3 at 25:23 (effectively, Saturday, April 4 at 1:23 a.m.)

This is kind of a shocker, considering that the first season aired at 10:30 AM Sundays. (I know this 'cause I was able to watch it in Japan while eating breakfast.)

This is probably a result of SynergySP not working on it since they seem to have a lock on Hayate's original time slot. JC Staff has to use one of their locked in late night time slots instead.

This is also potentially a really bad sign. Unless the series is supposed to increase the not-for-kids departments at this point, this indicates that they are changing marketing strategies and some other very big potential shifts in production.
On the upside, maybe we'll get some uncensored Nishizawa-strawberry-eating goodness.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I tried watching the first season, but the constant anime jokes got pretty annoying after a while. Sure a couple of jokes is okay, but not constantly hearing anime joke after anime joke. But besides the anime jokes, I just lost complete interest in the series.
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
FYI, this is taking Golgo 13's timeslot. Just some random info.
melonbread

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote
What an original title.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait. It sucks that Synergy isn't doing this, but I have total faith in JC Staff. There are a bunch of funny shows that I lump all in one category: Shakugan no Shana, Zettai Karen Children, Kyouran Kazoku Nikki and Hayate. All of them are well animated and either JC Staff or Synergy does the work for them. If JC staff does their usual quality for the shows that I watch, there shouldn't really be any visual difference.

It would be super awesome if Crunchyroll or Hulu picked up this show. It will NEVER air on US TV because of the age of the characters and some of the sexual stuff, and DVD sales will be non-existent since Season 1 isn't even out in the US yet, but 52 HD quality fansubs for it are available for free. CR/Hulu seems like their only choice if they want to get some money from people outside of Japan.

TV-Tokyo is like the best channel ever. They should set up a streaming site because like 80% of the anime that i've ever seen in my life is on that channel.
houkoholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:

This is also potentially a really bad sign. Unless the series is supposed to increase the not-for-kids departments at this point, this indicates that they are changing marketing strategies and some other very big potential shifts in production.

The otakus in Japan had playfully coined the term "latenight 34:00 hour anime" for Hayate - pointing straight at the shows core late night otaku appeal despite it being on a kid's morning time slot. The change just means the show is put where it is suppose to be (anyone trying to argue that Hayate is NOT an otaku show is terribly dellusional - the central plot is harem and the comedy is loaded with 2ch meme), I don't forsee much, if any, changes to the direction of the show.
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote
houkoholic wrote:
The otakus in Japan had playfully coined the term "latenight 34:00 hour anime" for Hayate - pointing straight at the shows core late night otaku appeal despite it being on a kid's morning time slot. The change just means the show is put where it is suppose to be (anyone trying to argue that Hayate is NOT an otaku show is terribly dellusional - the central plot is harem and the comedy is loaded with 2ch meme), I don't forsee much, if any, changes to the direction of the show.

The "Late night 3400" are "kids"* shows that have an equal, if not stronger in some cases, otaku appeal and was coined for Fairy Musketeers (3300). (Other 深夜34時 animes are Zettai Karen Children and Shugo Chara.) They are still "kids" shows and Hayate runs in Shonen Sunday, a magazine for "kids".

*In the Japanese meaning of the word shonen.
houkoholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
houkoholic wrote:

The "Late night 3400" are "kids"* shows that have an equal, if not stronger in some cases, otaku appeal and was coined for Fairy Musketeers (3300). (Other 深夜34時 animes are Zettai Karen Children and Shugo Chara.) They are still "kids" shows and Hayate runs in Shonen Sunday, a magazine for "kids".

*In the Japanese meaning of the word shonen.

I think the word you are looking for is "teenagers".

Either way you just went full circle and tried managling the meaning of the term "kids" and said basically nothing to dispove my point. Pretty much every other source confirms that the origin of the term refers to the fans saying the content of these shows, while officially said to be targeting "kids" due to the morning time slot placement, can be positively identified as much more suitable, not equal, for the "big kids (otakus)" and is in line with the contents usually found in other late night time slot of anime aiming at otakus.
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote
houkoholic wrote:

No, teenagers is 13-19. Tweens is closer to the proper meaning but the age group is ~7/8 to ~15/16.

houkoholic wrote:

Either way you just went full circle and tried managling the meaning of the term "kids" and said basically nothing to dispove my point.
You seemed to try to deny that it was a kids show. My point was it is still a show for younger viewers with additional content there for the older audience to get along the lines of Animaniacs.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
houkoholic wrote:

No, teenagers is 13-19. Tweens is closer to the proper meaning but the age group is ~7/8 to ~15/16.

houkoholic wrote:

Either way you just went full circle and tried managling the meaning of the term "kids" and said basically nothing to dispove my point.
You seemed to try to deny that it was a kids show. My point was it is still a show for younger viewers with additional content there for the older audience to get along the lines of Animaniacs.

Are you saying that Hayate is aimed at 7 year olds? I think you're way off base. Like South Park, I think a 7 year could watch it and laugh because its a cartoon and some of the humor is simple to grasp, but I would never say that South Park is aimed at kids.

Like South Park, to really appreciate the humor of Hayate on all the levels its being offered and to catch alot of the references, I think you'd need to at least be like 14 or 15. I'd go so far so to say that in order to catch the majority of the humor, you'd need to be 14 or 15.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2