• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Guin Saga Fantasy Anime's English-Dubbed Trailer Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Now that's a sharp trailer, just wonder if it being dubbed really means anything. Has it been licensed? Guess we'll have to wait and see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I feel rather dumb for this, but I thought that it was funny enough to mention. When the article said "Conan-esque," I thought they meant Conan as in Case Closed - which definitely confused me since Guin has neither been shrunken nor does he appear to be a detective. But it's not like I've ever seen much of Conan the Barbarian (and I certainly haven't read anything related to him), and I have seen and read a fair bit of Case Closed, so I guess that it's only natural to think of Cased Closed first, but still... I feel kind of dumb.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
Okay, I feel rather dumb for this, but I thought that it was funny enough to mention. When the article said "Conan-esque," I thought they meant Conan as in Case Closed - which definitely confused me since Guin has neither been shrunken nor does he appear to be a detective. But it's not like I've ever seen much of Conan the Barbarian (and I certainly haven't read anything related to him), and I have seen and read a fair bit of Case Closed, so I guess that it's only natural to think of Cased Closed first, but still... I feel kind of dumb.

Conan the Barbarian. It too was a heroic fantasy series written serially, only way back in the day and in English. My impression, though, is that it had less of a continuous plot the way Guin does (or at least the first 5 books thereof).
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Kalessin wrote:

Conan the Barbarian. It too was a heroic fantasy series written serially, only way back in the day and in English. My impression, though, is that it had less of a continuous plot the way Guin does (or at least the first 5 books thereof).

Well, as I understand it, the Conan the Barbarian books were written by a variety of authors, so it was really more of a case of several authors writing stories using the same main character as opposed to an actual, continuous series the way that the Guin Saga is.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Kalessin wrote:

Well, as I understand it, the Conan the Barbarian books were written by a variety of authors, so it was really more of a case of several authors writing stories using the same main character as opposed to an actual, continuous series the way that the Guin Saga is.

No, the original series were all written by one person, Robert E. Howard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conan_the_barbarian

Other authors have written Conan stories, but did so at a much later date - glorified fanfiction, really. :-/
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:02 am Reply with quote
just awesome i so cant wait to watch this
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:34 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Nice trailer.

They nailed it perfectly. I wonder if Sony licensed it themselves.

If Sony licensed this themselves, I might be willing to watch it streamed, or on tv like I did with the Blood+ dub, but if they dubtitle the DVDs like they did with Blood+, this will be a no-buy for me.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:36 am Reply with quote
Assuming the information is accurate, 124 volumes is a massive amount of work. I can only imagine this series has been running for thirty to fourty years. Because I don't think even Fighting Sprit has that many manga chapters.

This looks like a interesting shonen/mystery series, but I am just not interested.
Descent123

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote
For some reason I didn't like the dub that much, but that's just me.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:16 am Reply with quote
Did they get Macek to work on the narration? It reminds me of the English Windaria trailer.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
Huh, interesting! This certainly came out of nowhere, and it sounds pretty good too! Not the best I've heard, but certainly enjoyable enough. Of course, it helps it's an anime I've been looking forward to in the first place!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Assuming the information is accurate, 124 volumes is a massive amount of work. I can only imagine this series has been running for thirty to fourty years. Because I don't think even Fighting Sprit has that many manga chapters.

This anime is in honor of the series' 30th anniversary...

...and remember, that's 124 volumes of light novels, not manga!
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
I think maybe it is a promo for people to license it. As far as other voice actors, the two women I picked up was Kate Higgins (I believe she was the first lady) and Kari Wahlgren. I think I heard Sam Riegal in one of the battle scenes.

I could be wrong but it didn't really sound all to much like Kate or Kari to me. Although I wasn't really looking for their voice while watching the trailer. Though I do hope I'm wrong, Kate and Kari are my favorite voice actresses.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2