• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shikabane Hime Aka / Kuro (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I just want to know why I need to be the one who calms down when you called me a liar? Refuting my statement doesn't wound my pride, there were 2 others who disagreed with me earlier on. My problem is you calling me a liar. That's it.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Well the series was entertaining enough although, the spoiler[lets live and fight on non-ending ending was kind of lame and lazy.] Although, it is true to Gainax form though, considering spoiler[they've never actually made a series I've seen with an ending I liked, so why start now eh?] Razz
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
True enough. I didn't really care that much for the ending of This Ugly Yet Beautiful world or Evangelion either. Although I think the manga is ongoing, so in similar fashion to Claymore they were probably avoiding truly concluding it for that reason, but doing enough so that there isn't a reason anyone feels they have to do something more.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:26 am Reply with quote
Well, I've seen the first 10 eppies of the first season and I effin' LOVE it. I find the characters and plot extremely engaging, and I like the occasional comedic touches. The comment that this is a "monster of the week" thing is very misleading. There is very much a through line that is obvious even before the 10 episodes I've seen.
frodonk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
the only thing i didn't like about the two series (aka and kuro) was the seiyuu (spelling?) of makina. for me it always falls short of the intended effect, like when she is trying to show her anger by shouting, or when she is trying to be dramatic.

that's my only complaint, all the other aspects are good enough, but I wouldn't consider it as a masterpiece or the best series i've seen Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't argue that Shikabane Hime is a masterpiece or the best thing I've ever seen, either. I would say that it is excellent; it has an engaging plot (they've done stuff a couple of times now that I didn't see coming), interesting character dynamics and has shown a fair amount of imagination. Oh and I'm not hatin' the occasional fan service, either. Wink
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
frodonk wrote:
the only thing i didn't like about the two series (aka and kuro) was the seiyuu (spelling?) of makina. for me it always falls short of the intended effect, like when she is trying to show her anger by shouting, or when she is trying to be dramatic.

that's my only complaint, all the other aspects are good enough, but I wouldn't consider it as a masterpiece or the best series i've seen Very Happy

You mean like her anguished scream in episode 24? That was laughably weak.

I'm a little annoyed at the ending. Another 2 minutes or so and they could have wrapped it up nicely, instead of not quite tying up the last real point.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:06 am Reply with quote
Okay, I've now watched all 25 episodes (in an orgy of marathon streaming) and my original instinct stands: I loved it. As for the ending, I think it is absolutely perfect. To me the ending fit in with one of the main themes of the series. I'm not going to say what I think that is, but I encourage anyone interested enough to watch all the episodes and see if you agree with me.
giao_su

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
frodonk wrote:

You mean like her anguished scream in episode 24? That was laughably weak.

I'm a little annoyed at the ending. Another 2 minutes or so and they could have wrapped it up nicely, instead of not quite tying up the last real point.

I take your point. Still, as my tastes go, I do not find an ambiguous ending necessarily a bad thing. It fits rather well with the moral ambiguities with the "recruitment" and treatment of the shikabane hime, don't you think?

I guess I enjoyed this more than many forum participants because I did not expect an action anime to be some sort of animated version of All Quiet on the Western Front.

I expected instead to see gratuitous gore, irrelevant fan service and over the top acting. I can put up with the silly stuff and even enjoy it if there is a more or less coherent plot.

So, there you have it. My philistine sensibility has been revealed.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this show. It started off a little bit slow, but once that one girl's monk dies (the girl with the blue hair who's monk tried to make out with her), I felt that the show got way better.

The action was always cool and the concept hinted at potentially interesting things, which is why I kept watching despite not really liking the earlier episodes that much), but once that even happened they introduced alot of sad/depressing elements to the show and every good guy basically had some tragic past and the show started going into that alot more.

I love stuff like that, so Shikabane was perfect for me. I wouldn't rate is as good as Claymore (and I can't really explain why), but I think its a quality show if you're into stuff like that.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Finally finished this series and I'll throw my hat into the 'WTF' ring over the ending. I realize there is symbolism to it and it's much more than just a 'non-ending,' but it still felt like an inconclusive cop-out. They could have easily wrapped up the fight and still left it open ended one way or another (much like in Claymore where spoiler[Clare and Priscilla battle it out, come to a stopping point, and dialogue their way to an ending that, while still inconclusive, at least affords SOME degree of closure]. I just feel like ending things literally mid-fight was weak and unsatisfying.

Also, I much preferred Aka to Kuro. Don't know what the consensus is on that, but I thought Aka was more cohesive and flowed better. Kuro tended to drag in spots and the action wasn't nearly as explosive as the first season (save for the last few episodes).
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I liked the series when it first aired, now it's part of my "worst" shows list, I think. It looks good, it has some decent music and did I mention it looks good?

It's plotted like someone made a knot out of a moebius strip and you only realize it when you start to unravel it: the characterizations are all either nonstarters {*Ahem* Dead girl living for revenge. That's not only the extent of her character, that's her character arc and once you mention the word "gun", that's everything you need to know} or nonsensical {Hey, turn out mousey lead can see that cat spirit because his spoiler[mother was a shikibane hime] and it means he's spoiler[half human ... and half human]. Yeah, I was shocked too.}, the story could barely fill a two hour movie {hey, let's introduce a character, a teenage girl focused on death, make it seem like she'll be part of the whole process and then just write the whole thing off. That should be worth, what, a runtime of 8 episodes? We need more? Ok, let's have four shows where we'll run the "connection to death with girls" in reverse. We can have an evil gang with a specific number of members and have the same number of shows as them which leaves us with... Wait, we need some Monsters of the Week! And, hey, we can do Shikibane of the Week as well! So we only need enough story for ... drumroll please ... two episodes!} and since all the girls are dead, it will never end well, regardless of how much the lead can hope.

This is one of those shows where the whole premise is just so freaking stupid, it's hard to believe it ever got made....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2