• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gainax Works on Abenobashi Special, Free-Diving Work

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crystal

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! It's been years since I watched and finished that series. I think I'm looking forward to this! I hope it uses the same voice cast.
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I just finished Abenobashi somewhat recently, and have been planning on getting the box set soon, so this is quite interesting news, to me - I wonder if it will just be an episode that can just kind of be stuck pretty much anywhere in the series, just dealing with another random world they go to, or if it's something more - it seems like it'd have to be something more than that to merit a special after 7 years. Either that, or, like someone else said, it's just a really good idea for a world that they could visit? It would indeed be quite awesome if they visited all of the other Gainax worlds - Sasshi, Naota, Simon, Arumi, Haruko, and Yoko, all in one show... I'd buy that Anime hyper Probably just getting my hopes up, though.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KendoGirl

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Great news! Abenobashi needs more <3

I really enjoyed that series...one of the few series I can comfortably watch in English more than japanese Smile
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quote
KendoGirl wrote:
Great news! Abenobashi needs more <3

I really enjoyed that series...one of the few series I can comfortably watch in English more than japanese Smile

For those who don't already know, one of the quirks of the English dub of the original Abenobashi was that the characters speak with a Southern accent! It takes some getting used to, but it'll grow on ya! Anything less than a continuation of that in the special's dub (if it ever has one) would be a disappointment!
bleuster

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:44 am Reply with quote
^The English also worked in the show's favor by keeping the F-word in that one segment!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:12 am Reply with quote
flawful wrote:
The free diving thing could be an anime version of Glaucos.

I've said it a few posts above. Wink Apparently, few people knew that series, and even fewer would care. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Lonecow

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:15 am Reply with quote
I'm excited. I always liked Abenobashi. That is the series however, that got me to stop listening to dubs all together. I understand why they had southern accents, but it was still strange since they were in Japan. I could understand if it was some alternate world that was modeled on Abenobashi but had elements of all cultures including the deep south, but it just created a huge disconnect for me and watching in original Japanese made since. I haven't gone back.

In any case the show is awesome. It was like FLCL for all ages. Sometimes it got totally bat-s*** insane.
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:55 am Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
For those who don't already know, one of the quirks of the English dub of the original Abenobashi was that the characters speak with a Southern accent!

Actually, the characters speak with a Texas accent, not a Southern accent. I don't think I would have noticed the difference before I moved down here, but I've gotten a lot better at picking out the subtleties in the last few years.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:56 pm Reply with quote
It's become a staple of US dubs to use Southern-flavored accents to represent characters that speak with an Osakan dialect. Sometimes it's really grating, like Cindy Robinson's performance as Dr. Uchida in Noein. She sounds like she just came from a garden club meeting in Birmingham. Kira Vincent-Davis's performance as "Osaka" in Azumanga Daioh follows the same route, though her accent isn't anywhere near as annoying as Robinson's.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
So I guess this was the big news in Young Gangan? Or is that something completely different? The name of the Free Diving Work might be (or have been) announced earlier today in that manga publication...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2