• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hayate the Combat Butler: Can't Take My Eyes Off You (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
This show looks off to me sometimes. Namely the heads'll look weird... Out of the 3 studios to work on Hayate I'd say this one's the weakest.

Anyways, this series appears to take place quite a time after where the manga currently is. For those who don't follow the manga, spoiler[Nagi lost her inheritence and was kicked out of the mansion. She moved to a building her mother used to own and rented out the rooms to make money, which lead to characters such as Ayumu, Chiharu, and Kayura to move in. This is the building we see in this episode, but apparently at some point Nagi returned to her mansion. This has yet to happen in the manga.]

I got quite a few laughs so the show is doing its job just fine. The person Hayate mentions at the end is probably spoiler[Hinagiku] but I'm hoping for spoiler[Athena] instead.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
You would think someone would ask obvious questions. Even in a comedy.

Where have you been living until now? Who has been raising you? Where did you learn system? Willing to do a DNA test? Where do you go to school? What was your mother's name?

That aside I find HTCB: CTMEOY quote enjoyable. I sympathize with those who have posted that they are put off by the character art but it has grown on me. They are using techniques that give much more depth (in a 3D sense without being 3D) to the characters. It wouldn't kill them to let Nagi and the other girls flash their panties once in a while, though.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Is that some sort of guest house on the Sanzenin property?
mad mac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is that some sort of guest house on the Sanzenin property?

It's uh...complicated. The least spoilery thing I can say is that it's a house Nagi owns and rents out to assorted characters. I don't believe it's on Sanzenin property unless something very strange happened, though.

Oh, before anyone asks the tomboyish one in the house is Kayura. She's a manga/cosplay nut who's also like Nagi's coach/mentor for drawing manga or something.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
mad mac wrote:
I don't believe it's on Sanzenin property unless something very strange happened, though.

I don't know the back story (stories) but I recall their property had several lakes, a private power plant, and an exclusive amusement park that Nagi never visits (1cm too short!) and who knows what else I'm forgetting. Why would it be so strange that out the back there would be an old-schoolhouse style building for miscellaneous use?

On this subject, what accounts for the gap between the end of season two and this new season? According to Hayate's narrative, it has only been a few months since he has been installed there. A lot happens, I guess.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I thought Hayate said he'd been Nagi's bitch for 9 months now?
mad mac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't know the back story (stories) but I recall their property had several lakes, a private power plant, and an exclusive amusement park that Nagi never visits (1cm too short!) and who knows what else I'm forgetting. Why would it be so strange that out the back there would be an old-schoolhouse style building for miscellaneous use?

Lets just say its a very specific house that very specifically doesn't belong to the Sanzenin family or reside on their property. It's a mystery house full of plots and spoilers I'm not telling you about.

Quote:

That's correct. For reference, the newest manga chapters are set in mid/late July, which is what I meant when I said the anime is two months ahead.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote
About that house, just look at my spoilery post up at the top.

Blood- wrote:

Despite the manga running for 8 years, in story it's only been several months and is still 2004. Despite this it's always contempory (ex, Isumi and her mom have iPhones and use Twitter). Naturally the character point this out often.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3
YES! spoiler[Hinagiku] is back! That's right, now this series just got that much fun. Anyways, good episode imo with the date and that smile.

spoiler[Hinagiku's smile] makes makes me smile as well. Too bad, the date didn't go perfect especially @ the movies and with those kids. The date was still cute though with the ice cream, deer ears, and that fast ride. Ah, so glad she's back now.

Also, that troll ending. We all know what she said though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

This was actually a rework of a manga chapters between volume 15 and 16, and is one of the reasons I really the part animated. So I knew a great deal of it, although there were some changes. First there was Ruri, obviously she was not in the manga. Next was the spoiler[movie theatre, in the manga it was incredibly scary,] the characters described it as if it came from spoiler[Resident Evil, the sudden end of it bouncing off the enviroment]. Although the change to it being spoiler[filled with a bunch of kids who tease] them was a good change that kept it from feeling stale.

My favorite bits have to be spoiler[Hinagiku's attempts to smile that just made Hayate feel like he screwed up]. Right before bits where spoiler[they are generally having fun]. Hayate is awesome for spoiler[geting Hina on that ride]. Laughing

The student council have to be among my favorite characters in this show, especially when any of the characters interact with poor Hayate.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 3

Errr ... I didn't. Mind filling me in, using spoiler tags?

But yes, it was great to see Hina and the other student council members back.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 3

Errr ... I didn't. Mind filling me in, using spoiler tags?

But yes, it was great to see Hina and the other student council members back.

Not sure on the exact context but probably something like spoiler["I'd go with you anyways because it's you, Hayate-kun"] based on what she originally thought Hayate might say to her.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
the opening and closing comedy shorts with narrative don't cut it. being too busy with narrative and background chatting might have been funny the first time but don't hold up as a regular shtick.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
According to the manga, what spoiler[Hinagiku] said was "spoiler[I wouldn't go unless I liked him]".
mad mac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. Not a Hina fan, but this episode was awful. If they're going to borrow material from the manga they could at least keep the good jokes in.

It's a one off though, so whatever. Hopefully next week will be better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6