• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gantz DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenseiga323

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah, but since when have you heard of a Gonzo show getting a Kare Kano treatment, or a Gundam Treatment? ADV haven't said anything at all, except "Two Chipboard boxes, 13 volumes", all of which were made available at AoD. If it's really the fault of the Japanese licensor, whoever he may be, ADV would have made a press release about it or said SOMEWHERE that it wasn't ADV's fault. I mean, whenever a company is on fire about this they usually try to re-direct the blame somehow.

That is one of the thing that I can't stand about ADV is that they are being way too quiet about their releases.Not just Gantz I mean most of the series they had.I wish they talk most about thier series and give and guess as when it being release rather then be quiet and wait till it come out then talk.

Well Ohayocon 2005 is coming up and dlw is there so I hope he make so kind of statement about this.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Ken-san wrote:

No man. I'm saying that this is a REALLY advanced copy. I got mine in late December. Gantz isn't due out until March. They fast tracked an advanced copy to us to get the early word out on it.

No one EVER said it would definately be 2 eps per disc. That's just what we recieved on the advanced copy of an INCOMEPLETE package I might add. When I say we got nothing but the disc and the flyer, I mean we got NO cover art, or clamshell. Just a disc in a paper cd sleeve.

Rest assured, it'll be more than just 2 eps per disc. ADV may be called a lot of things, but they've never taken a page from VIZ's handbook.

Uh, sorry dude, but where have you been? ADV has CONFIRMED that it will be two episodes a disc, at $17.98 MSRP.

David Williams even said on the AOD forums the following:
Quote:
Gantz: Game of Death streets on 02/08/05 with SRPs of $17.98 for the DVD only and $27.98 for DVD plus box. This disc contains two anamorphic episodes with English 5.1 and Japanese 2.0 with English subtitles. Extras include clean open and ending animation and an interview with director Ichiroh Itano.

It's also been on the front page of ANN and AOD a few times. Final confirmation. Two episodes a disc. David Williams goes on to say further that it will be 13 volumes total, with two artboxes.
AncientDragonValgaav

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Um the people at ADV said it will be two episodes per disc. For being such an insider you are really clueless.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Ken-san wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Ken-san wrote:
Calm down people. This is an ADVANCED screener copy. None of the insiders (like myself and other priveledged people) got anything more than the disc itself and a promotional flyer. The dub most likely hasn't even been completed yet. They gave us these just to whet our appetite.

And having never seen Gantz before this disc, i'm hooked on it already!

We're not complaining about eventual lack of dub- there is going to be one, heck the cast has already been announced. What the main problem is that there are going to be 13 discs with two episodes each, and ADV haven't even address the problem, assuming they actually see it as a problem.

No man. I'm saying that this is a REALLY advanced copy. I got mine in late December. Gantz isn't due out until March. They fast tracked an advanced copy to us to get the early word out on it.

No one EVER said it would definately be 2 eps per disc. That's just what we recieved on the advanced copy of an INCOMEPLETE package I might add. When I say we got nothing but the disc and the flyer, I mean we got NO cover art, or clamshell. Just a disc in a paper cd sleeve.

Rest assured, it'll be more than just 2 eps per disc. ADV may be called a lot of things, but they've never taken a page from VIZ's handbook.

Press releases and Volume solicitations, plus words from DLW himself on AOD forums say otherwise.
Ken-san

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Ken-san wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Ken-san wrote:
Calm down people. This is an ADVANCED screener copy. None of the insiders (like myself and other priveledged people) got anything more than the disc itself and a promotional flyer. The dub most likely hasn't even been completed yet. They gave us these just to whet our appetite.

And having never seen Gantz before this disc, i'm hooked on it already!

We're not complaining about eventual lack of dub- there is going to be one, heck the cast has already been announced. What the main problem is that there are going to be 13 discs with two episodes each, and ADV haven't even address the problem, assuming they actually see it as a problem.

Press releases and Volume solicitations, plus words from DLW himself on AOD forums say otherwise.

Well that totally differs from what the flyer said. But this was late december and companies often change their minds. So that totally blows
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:37 pm Reply with quote
its two 13 ep series hey look on the briight side less compression = higher quailty and at 11 bucks a disk (deep discount dvd and I roundered up) thats bucks for all of it 143 dollers that around what standard 7 disk release would be at 20 a pop.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:41 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
its two 13 ep series hey look on the briight side less compression = higher quailty and at 11 bucks a disk (deep discount dvd and I roundered up) thats bucks for all of it 143 dollers that around what standard 7 disk release would be at 20 a pop.

Yeah, the problem is that ADV generally don't take advantage of all of their disc space, even with 4 episode discs. Don't think this has any more advantages over a normal release than "it looks prettier".

also, if you're going to compare prices, please do it using full retail. Even with your claim, it's still 3 dollars more expensive and will take longer.
Ken-san

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Don't use up their disc space??

How much stuff do you think is really produced for a TV show that can fit on a DVD for extras? They're not video games by god. I want more content too, but exactly what are they supposed to place in there?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Ken-san wrote:

How much stuff do you think is really produced for a TV show that can fit on a DVD for extras? They're not video games by god. I want more content too, but exactly what are they supposed to place in there?

Allow for audio tracks to be more than 192 kbps, make sure that they can get the best video possible, etc. Japanese releases manage to fill up single/dual layered DVDs. atleast moreso than ADV, and they are kinda lax in the way of extras.
Ken-san

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Ken-san wrote:

Allow for audio tracks to be more than 192 kbps, make sure that they can get the best video possible, etc. Japanese releases manage to fill up single/dual layered DVDs. atleast moreso than ADV, and they are kinda lax in the way of extras.

But in the end though, does that stuff truly matter? As long as it looks good and sounds good, shouldn't that be enough? I have already bought the show . . . and as long as I can enjoy watching it, I don't need to obsess about video quality and other somewhat meaningless junk. I mean look at all of us who download fansubs . . . we're happy just watching the show itself, even though the quality is way less than DVD compression.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Ken-san wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Ken-san wrote:

But in the end though, does that stuff truly matter? As long as it looks good and sounds good, shouldn't that be enough? I have already bought the show . . . and as long as I can enjoy watching it, I don't need to obsess about video quality and other somewhat meaningless junk. I mean look at all of us who download fansubs . . . we're happy just watching the show itself, even though the quality is way less than DVD compression.

I'm sorry, but part of the reason I buy DVDs is so I can actually get a reasonably presented product. Hell, I'm paying premium prices on these discs, I expect a premium product that takes ADVANTAGE OF EVERYTHING IT HAS TO OFFER. If ADV expect us to buy these simply to "appreciate the story" as some back-hand excuse not to do their best (or better than their current best) on their DVDs, then I might as well download fansubs.
Ken-san

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Ken-san wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Ken-san wrote:

I'm sorry, but part of the reason I buy DVDs is so I can actually get a reasonably presented product. Hell, I'm paying premium prices on these discs, I expect a premium product that takes ADVANTAGE OF EVERYTHING IT HAS TO OFFER. If ADV expect us to buy these simply to "appreciate the story" as some back-hand excuse not to do their best (or better than their current best) on their DVDs, then I might as well download fansubs.

A well thought out response. Back to your other statement about extras . . . exactly how much content do you think is produced for all of these shows? Not that much, outside of the really popular things. A lot of the extras have to be produced by the domestic companies themselves, and some of them just dont see it as a viable expense to produce it.
Juniper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Ken-san wrote:

A well thought out response. Back to your other statement about extras . . . exactly how much content do you think is produced for all of these shows? Not that much, outside of the really popular things. A lot of the extras have to be produced by the domestic companies themselves, and some of them just don't see it as a viable expense to produce it.

That doesn't really matter. He already said that it wasn't the extras that mattered, that there were other things one could fill a disc with, like higher quality video, higher quality sound, etc.

Yes, sure, you buy something for the show and not the extras, but when you're paying for a DVD, you're paying for quality. When we give the companies our money, we expect them to give us the best they can. Japanese discs cost a lot more than US discs, but with that comes qualtiy.
Ken-san

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Juniper wrote:
Ken-san wrote:

A well thought out response. Back to your other statement about extras . . . exactly how much content do you think is produced for all of these shows? Not that much, outside of the really popular things. A lot of the extras have to be produced by the domestic companies themselves, and some of them just don't see it as a viable expense to produce it.

That doesn't really matter. He already said that it wasn't the extras that mattered, that there were other things one could fill a disc with, like higher quality video, higher quality sound, etc.

Yes, sure, you buy something for the show and not the extras, but when you're paying for a DVD, you're paying for quality. When we give the companies our money, we expect them to give us the best they can. Japanese discs cost a lot more than US discs, but with that comes qualtiy.

I understand this as well, but when would a company draw the line? When exactly does it stop being cost effective to make a pristine transfer. ADV may be big, but they'll never be an MGM or Universal Pictures
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
There wouldn't be anywhere else they could have gotten it.

That's not true at all. Numerous companies other than the actual animation studio are involved in the financing and production of anime. Anyone of them could have had the North American rights, while another had the Australian rights. (Although the rights are usually seperated in 2 or 3, "Japan", "Asia" and "International except Asia").

What's more, there are licensing companies such as Enoki that often get involved.

As for the whole relationship between Madman's releases and ADV's releases, although it may be worth looking at, it doesn't mean anything. Two different companies, two different places, two different sets of negotiations, two different licensing agreements. Madman may have paid more per episode for the right to put them on fewer DVDs, or perhaps ADV paid more and as such has no option but to spread the title out on more DVDs to make their money back.

Really, its all speculation about who is responsible and why. That is, unless someone involved comes out and explains why.

However, while everyone should recognize that it might not be ADV's fault, ADV is still the company you should blame if you aren't happy. They are the company you deal with, they are the company selling this product in North America. You get mad at them, and then they can do whatever they have to (and are willing to) to keep you from getting mad next time around.

Personally, its not that big of a deal, the release is appropriately priced, and I'm not going to get mad at them over a few extra inches on my shelves.

-t

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5