• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to be Acquired by Navarre Corp

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:36 am Reply with quote
So...does this mean FUNimation is not going to suck anymore? Although they're doing a great job with Fullmetal Alchemist and did and unbelievable job on Blue Gender, I would still like to see some improvement. But Somehow I get the feeling that this is just going to make the situation a bit worse than it already is.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:44 am Reply with quote
dokool wrote:

Highlighted the interesting bits. Basically this is going to mean that Funimation is in a much better position to distribute its releases than other anime companies, if I'm reading this correctly...

Not necessarily. It depends on what types of retail locations these are and if they carry anime. For instance, if one of these retailers was Best Buy, then however many locations BB had would be a chunk of the retail locations, or Wal-Mart or anything like that. Most nationwide retailers that carry anime have a good selection of all the different companies anyway. Not to say that this couldn't help FUNi, but it's not like they are going to be able to blow everyone away or anything.

Romuska: What types of improvements are you speaking of. They not only did a good job on the titles you mentioned, but also on Fruits Basket and Kiddy Grade. About the only beef that I have with them, is that I would like to see better ep counts per disc on a consistent basis.

Last edited by Kazuki-san on Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:47 am Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Funi (like ADV, CPM, Media Blasters, TRSI, Animeigo and AN Entertainment) is a privately owned company. So all this really means is that whoever is the owner and founder (don't feel like doing my research at almost one in the morning) finally got tired of sitting on a valuable property, saw a chance to cash in on his/her investment, and went for it. Whether or not anything about Funimation will change is completely up in the air, but hey, if it ain't broke, why fix it? Chances are pretty damn good Navarre bought Funimation not because its CEO thinks anime is the bestest and coolest thing ever...but because he is making an educated guess/business decision that what Funimation has been doing with anime is a pretty cool way of making money, certainly lower risk than plenty of others that I can think of...And as far as the "weirdness" of the parent corporation of a major anime licensor now being based in Minnesota - well, is MN any more weird than Texas?

Last edited by CorneredAngel on Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:03 am Reply with quote
dokool wrote:
biliano wrote:

Read this:

Quote:
About Navarre

Navarre Corporation (NASDAQ: NAVR) provides distribution and related services to leading developers and retailers of home entertainment content. The company operates under two business divisions; Distribution Services which includes PC software, video games, CD audio and DVD video; Publishing which includes Encore. Based in Los Angeles, CA, Encore is a majority-owned subsidiary of Navarre and a leading interactive publisher in the PC CD-ROM market. As a result of strategic relationships, the company publishes PC titles or compilations in major software categories from productivity to education. BCI Eclipse, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Navarre Corporation, provides niche DVD video and audio products. Navarre’s client-specific delivery systems allow its product lines to be seamlessly distributed to over 18,000 retail locations throughout North America. The Company provides such value-added services as inventory management, Web-based ordering, fulfillment and marketing and EDI customer and vendor interface. Since its founding in 1983, Navarre has built a base of distribution partnerships with a broad base of leading retailers across the mass merchant, music, computer and office specialty, wholesale club and military PX channels, as well as software content developers from all categories of the industry and independent record labels encompassing all musical genres. For more information, please visit the Company’s Web sites at www.navarre.com.

Highlighted the interesting bits. Basically this is going to mean that Funimation is in a much better position to distribute its releases than other anime companies, if I'm reading this correctly...

I like the sound of that. Especially the fact that they say "North America" and not just the United States.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:19 am Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
well, is MN any more weird than Texas?

Ehhh... there's something weird about Texas? We happen to have some very large corporations whose headquarters are here... I assume MN must have one or two Wink
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:30 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
CorneredAngel wrote:

Ehhh... there's something weird about Texas? We happen to have some very large corporations whose headquarters are here... I assume MN must have one or two :wink:

Indeed. 3M is headquartered in MN, as is General Mills and I think another major company that I can't remember which it is now. >_< (which is horrible, as I *know*I've driven past it more than once...)

...dang, I know where I'm looking for work this summer! XD
Dejiko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:32 am Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
And as far as the "weirdness" of the parent corporation of a major anime licensor now being based in Minnesota - well, is MN any more weird than Texas?

It probably meant that it would feel kind of 'weird' to suddenly have an anime licensor in your city (the poster of that remark lives in Minnesota).
roguebfl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:38 am Reply with quote
Basicly I think they were after two thing, FUNi distrobution channels (the mange to get anime into main stream stores like target) AND Competergame/Anime tiein licences.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:06 am Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Funi (like ADV, CPM, Media Blasters, TRSI, Animeigo and AN Entertainment) is a privately owned company. So all this really means is that whoever is the owner and founder and owner (don't feel like doing my research at almost one in the morning)

The Fukunaga familly (primarilly Gen Fukunaga) are the only publicly known owners of FUNimation.

Many people are very willing to sell their own companies, in fact many people want larger corporations to come along and buy them out. It assures them of a comfortable retirement without worry...

-t
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:50 am Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
Kazuki-san wrote:
CorneredAngel wrote:

Ehhh... there's something weird about Texas? We happen to have some very large corporations whose headquarters are here... I assume MN must have one or two Wink

Indeed. 3M is headquartered in MN, as is General Mills and I think another major company that I can't remember which it is now. Anime hyper (which is horrible, as I *know*I've driven past it more than once...)

...dang, I know where I'm looking for work this summer! Anime hyper

Best Buy? Target? I suppose it's also weird for me to think that 3M's headquarters are about 5-10 minutes (driving, depending on traffic) away from my house.
kraid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:55 am Reply with quote
I hope that this also does not mean that staffing such as the voice actors will change, especially if there is a project going on. There is nothing more I hate in an Anime then having different voice actors for the same character due to change in staffing, and not because the Anime character is a different age and such. Case in point, when Funi started to dub DBZ, it had different voice actors than the Ocean group, but at least Funi will be rereleasing the first 2 DBZ sagas with the voice actors of the rest of the series.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:03 am Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
sinistertaco wrote:
Because some people can't seem to get it through their heads that the FUNimation of today is not the FUNimation of 5 years ago.

You're right. The FUNimation of today is BETTER than the FUNimation of 5 years ago, and Navarre's acquisiton of FUNimation will only strenghten Funi's position in the anime market.

Well, FUNi doesn't take pains to "advertise" the fact they have improved. I mean, one of their most well known properties, DragonBall GT, still is cheezy and is a total joke on Toonami much like DBZ (Yes, I know better, so i'm not your typical irrational l33t anime fan). Doesn't help their reputation, y'know?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:09 am Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
So...does this mean FUNimation is not going to suck anymore? Although they're doing a great job with Fullmetal Alchemist and did and unbelievable job on Blue Gender, I would still like to see some improvement. But Somehow I get the feeling that this is just going to make the situation a bit worse than it already is.

....like how? If they're on the up-and-up, then what would you like to see them do?
cubs2084

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:09 am Reply with quote
As long as they still released DBZ movies 12 and 13, I don't particularly care.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tomato

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:29 am Reply with quote
Yikes. I'm not sure if I should fear for my job or not Shocked Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4