• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Durarara!! Lunchbox Blu-ray set!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:
The DVD sets of Drrr didn't have on-screen text, so why would the BD set be any different?

Only they DID. I have those very DVDs myself. They do indeed come with a separate subtitle track for on-screen text.

Let's see...seeing as my friend per-ordered the DVD sets and have them on her shelf. She checked and says there are no on-screen text. I'll take her word over yours. And you ALSO know, the US release is mirroring the Japanese release...the Japanese BD release has NO on-screen text.

Either your friend's a liar, doesn't know how to work the DVD properly, or my personal favorite option, doesn't even exist.

I'm watching the Simon/Izaya scene right now, and low and behold, subtitles in the English dub, translating what they're saying. And there are subtitles in both Japanese AND English translating the OP/ED songs, and subs for the title credits and next episode cards.

See, unlike you, I actually OWN the DVD myself and don't have to believe my "friend's" second-hand story. And I'm sure there are several other people here who also own the DVD set and can back me up on this.

[be polite -t]
vcmusik

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:19 am Reply with quote
Sheesh, simmer down guys. So, I checked episode 24 when Simon and Izaya have that conversation in Russian, and indeed, there as both Japanese and English subtitle text. Yay.

Still a little bummed out about having no subs for the commentary, but it wasn't specifically advertised as having subs for that in the first place (though IIRC, just the commentary itself was advertised as an extra), so I guess it wasn't really a mistake on AA's part, I don't know.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
vcmusik wrote:
Sheesh, simmer down guys. So, I checked episode 24 when Simon and Izaya have that conversation in Russian, and indeed, there as both Japanese and English subtitle text. Yay.

Still a little bummed out about having no subs for the commentary, but it wasn't specifically advertised as having subs for that in the first place (though IIRC, just the commentary itself was advertised as an extra), so I guess it wasn't really a mistake on AA's part, I don't know.

Fascinating.... So there is indeed a signs/text subtitle track for the English dub? Are you sure the standard subtitles weren't turned on for that particular scene? Because that would be a big discovery. It would go against a lot of other accounts I've read on the net stating that there's only the one subtitle track with ALL the dialogue and not a separate one for just the signs and text.

And the US release of the BDs does indeed come with the commentary? Also fascinating!! The RightStuf listing didn't mention those at all!! That's a pretty big announcement right there, even if they don't have subtitles for them. Surprised
vcmusik

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Fascinating.... So there is indeed a signs/text subtitle track for the English dub? Are you sure the standard subtitles weren't turned on for that particular scene? Because that would be a big discovery. It would go against a lot of other accounts I've read on the net stating that there's only the one subtitle track with ALL the dialogue and not a separate one for just the signs and text.

And the US release of the BDs does indeed come with the commentary? Also fascinating!! The RightStuf listing didn't mention those at all!! That's a pretty big announcement right there, even if they don't have subtitles for them. Surprised

Oops, I didn't switch to English audio, I listened to the native Japanese, so I don't know about that. I'll check again.

Yeah, they have commentary for every episode which is awesome, but people not fluent in Japanese (including me, who's barely semi-fluent) won't get much out of it since there's no accompanying subs =(.

Meh. Is there any Aniplex staff that frequents the ANN forums I could PM, maybe? There's always Shawne of TRSI, but I don't know if he'd know about the specifics of the release details since TSRI was just the distributor, lol.

EDIT:

My apologies, the commentaries don't happen for every episode just some here and there.

As for the signs and text, while there isn't a separate track, they are indeed present and integrated with the English subtitle track, and they stay whether or not you switch to English audio. Instead of being overlaid on top of the Japanese text (like ADV's translation of the cellphone text for Shinkai's Voices of a Distant Star, IIRC), they're placed at the bottom, so they're treated like subs for spoken dialogue. I checked episode 2 when Celty's showing her cell text to communicate, and re-checked episode 24 with the Izaya-Simon conversation in Russian.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:06 am Reply with quote
I don't personally know of any Aniplex reps who come to these boards, unfortunately.

What you might want to try is sending them an e-mail to their "Contact Us" address on their front page. I have the address right here:

[email protected]

Just tell them your questions and concerns, and let us know if they get back to you. I really do want to see what they say about the missing sub tracks.

True, they may be trying to mirror the Japanese release, but they're still selling it to a predominantly English-speaking audience. It's a horrible inconvenience to anyone wanting to watch the English dub. And considering that the DVD does indeed have a separate signs/text track, it's even more irritating that we're getting LESS content than the original release. Confused
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
vcmusik wrote:

Yes, there are English subtitle tracks, issue is...people are bitching and complaining that you have to TURN them on to read something that has Japanese text. The release only has 1 English sub track, instead of 2 (like how Funimation or Sentai have).

And there is no commentary, there is only 1 Japanese audio track, if the release were to have the commentary, it would have 2 Japanese audio tracks, just like how some of Sentai's releases of No.6.

Again, I'll point out, the US BD release mirrors the Japanese release (aside from the art on the box), hate to say this, the Japanese release had no on-screen text translations. Not sure what the hell the issue is, Durarara hardly has any on-screen text that needs a translation. Not sure about everyone else, I understand what some phone message (no voices) by the content of the episode.

People are only complaining because they feel ripped off that they put $150 into an Aniplex release and feel it's an inferior product because it's missing a sub-track that can give them simple on-screen translations.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
I've also read elsewhere that Japanese on-screen text is not translated. For instance, whenever Simon speaks in Russian, it shows the subtitles in Japanese, but not in English.

Is this true? Because that is NOT cool. That's a big enough issue to convince Aniplex into doing a recall.

Before you go on a rant, Viz DOES the same thing. If you want to read the on-screen shit or have the opening theme in English, you have to turn the English subtitles on. The Durarara DVDs are the same, they just didn't do it with the BD. Also, if you can't put the subtitles on at curtain times, just shows how lazy you are.

Yes, because laziness could be the only reason. It couldn't be people find it annoying to have to flip it on and off, particularly if they have a player that doesn't just do it at the touch of a button and the scene may well pass before they do it. How about instead of insulting people because you decide to assume about the nature of their complaint you stick to making actual relevant points about the topic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Altacia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
Rolling Eyes

I just can't believe Vata just compared VIZ and Aniplex...

Really?

One expects different quality from Aniplex releases, VIZ can get away with more...

Anyways, How is the Lunch Box?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote
The lunchbox is OK if you still carry your lunch and aren't very hungry. Otherwise it is sorta useless.
vcmusik

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
The lunchbox is OK if you still carry your lunch and aren't very hungry. Otherwise it is sorta useless.

agreed, it's quite small. You'd be hard-pressed to fit a sandwich and mini-water bottle if you tried. But I don't think anyone in their right mind would use it to carry lunch anyway, lol.

As for the actual build quality of it, it's your standard run-of-the-mill tin lunchbox, kinda flimsy, and the hinges aren't particularly rigid. One area of concern for me personally was the locking latch. Mine is slightly mis-aligned, so I have to do some extra fiddling to lock the darn thing. but a minor inconvenience overall.

As for the main issue of the subs/commentary, I've been trying to do screencaps and even using the Windows snipping tool to post here, but every time I save the files I come up with black screens. If anyone can help me take those properly, I can post screenshots of what I've been talking about, and the proof that there is indeed Japanese commentary, selectable in the top menu.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote
The reason the commentary is on there is because the first five discs of the JP box were used to make the US box. Music videos for the OP/ED are not included as they were not a part of the JP box. Sixth disc of the JP box had the Nakano live event. Seven thru nine are CDs. Repackaged JP product like Baccano! zero encoding/authoring was done here in the US.
vcmusik

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
The reason the commentary is on there is because the first five discs of the JP box were used to make the US box. Music videos for the OP/ED are not included as they were not a part of the JP box. Sixth disc of the JP box had the Nakano live event. Seven thru nine are CDs. Repackaged JP product like Baccano! zero encoding/authoring was done here in the US.

Thanks, that does clear up a lot. Now that I think of it, Aniplex USA would have probably had to get separate licenses/agreements for those music videos in high-def anyway (or just to be included at all), if they wanted to go through all that trouble to start with.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
vcmusik wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

Thanks, that does clear up a lot. Now that I think of it, Aniplex USA would have probably had to get separate licenses/agreements for those music videos in high-def anyway (or just to be included at all), if they wanted to go through all that trouble to start with.

Hey sorry I lied a bit! The discs were made here in the US, but used the same image as the the JP.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
vcmusik wrote:

As for the main issue of the subs/commentary, I've been trying to do screencaps and even using the Windows snipping tool to post here, but every time I save the files I come up with black screens. If anyone can help me take those properly, I can post screenshots of what I've been talking about, and the proof that there is indeed Japanese commentary, selectable in the top menu.

Can't screencaps of BD due to HDCP unless you want to pause the vid and take a picture with your camera. There are ways around it...like using MakeMKV and then using MPC-HC or any other program that can display PGS subs to take your screencaps.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
vcmusik wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

Hey sorry I lied a bit! The discs were made here in the US, but used the same image as the the JP.

See, in a way, that makes it even worse. If the discs are indeed being printed here in America, then they really should have a separate signs track because they're being manufactured and produced for an English-speaking audience!

I can see why they're burning the disc using the same image file as the Japanese (because it's more cost-effective, and because Aniplex is pretty lazy anyways), but really.... Is it THAT much harder to add another subtitle track? Especially one that's already finished and is available on the DVD? Unless there are serious differences in the timing between the bluray and DVD, it should be an easy swap.

If they're burning the discs here in the States, they REALLY should've created their own unique image file. Sure, they wanna save a dollar, but for how much they're charging us for the damn thing, you'd expect them to put at least a little effort into it. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5