• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shueisha Apologizes for Sket Dance's Helium-Inhaling Scene

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote
alexcampos wrote:
This is epic, murdering people with notebooks, swords, special "ninja"powers, and by any other means is a-OK, Not to mention ALL the sex that has graced the magazine was also acceptable, HOWEVER inhaling helium is a definite NO.

Simple answer to that. The law will stop you from killing someone else, and your parents/school are there to teach kids that killing is bad. As for the sex, well their parents will never know, besides sex is a natural thing and naked manga characters won't hurt.
Inhaling helium ain't illegal and is viable for kids, besides kids would hardly know that helium could actually kill, or even do any harm.
Even though their targets are towards young adult males, Shonen Jump attracts a lot of kids.
Got it?
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
All snarky and joking comments aside, breathing in Helium really isn't something you should do, as it damages your vocal chords among other things. Also kids are more likely to try this than use their chakra to blow up their ninja village (though I could as well be wrong .-.)
I think it was a smart move to apologize, I'm assuming there was alot of negative feedback for the mangaka to do this or they regretted it afterwards.
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote
takarada wrote:
Gas cylinders have regulators and don't release gas that fast.
Wrong.
Quote:
The high pitched voice comes with the oxygen-helium mix used by divers to avoid the bends
Almost wrong (That divers use heliox has little to do with the effect, and pure helium will still give a squeaky voice).

While inserting a pressurised gas source into any orifice is a bad idea, it is unlikely you could hold your mouth over the regulator with enough force to produce a seal good enough to allow a dangerous degree of pressurisation in your lungs.
The actual danger is that your lungs will be filled with a PURE gas, rather than the gas/air mix that you'd get from a balloon. This can quite effectively suffocate you, and it's unlikely you'll be aware of it (your lungs will still be full of gas, so your suffocation reflexes will not kick in). Helium isn't too dangerous, as it is lighter than air so should raise out of your lungs in a few seconds of deep breathing (though if you've just inhaled it deliberately, you're likely to try and hold your breath for as long as possible,which is where the danger lies). Trying the trick with denser gases, however, can be very dangerous, as they will sink into your lungs and stay there.
Pedestrian A

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I call publicity stunt.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Dang, one more E and that would be the funniest title ever. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Mistypearl wrote:
All snarky and joking comments aside, breathing in Helium really isn't something you should do, as it damages your vocal chords among other things. Also kids are more likely to try this than use their chakra to blow up their ninja village (though I could as well be wrong .-.)
I think it was a smart move to apologize, I'm assuming there was alot of negative feedback for the mangaka to do this or they regretted it afterwards.

I think there is a layer of underlying issues here that are a lot more than simply misinforming adorable sweet children about the realities of helium through the medium of foreign illustrated adventures.

Something is wrong with just about anyone who doesn't have the wherewithal to distinguish truth from fiction, child or adult. If it's a legitimate concern that significant numbers of minors will harm themselves in this way the responsible thing to do is to fix the children and not the manga. That's comparable to saying we should put special warnings on loose leaf for hemophiliacs so they don't get paper cuts.

Fireline wrote:
Disappointing bad press for such a fantastic, underrated series.

Any press is good press.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:09 pm Reply with quote
a-cha wrote:
This is the same Shonen Jump that show people fighting with weapons and surviving, bouncing cannonballs off their stomachs, and etc., correct?

Indeed. When I first saw this article's header my initial assumption was that the apology came in response to a scene depicting - in whatever context - some form of drug or substance use by minors, but to know it's simply a case of something we in America have made jokes of for a long time seems awfully strange to me, given, as you so rightfully pointed out, all the OTHER potentially objectionable and harmful-if-tried-in-real-life elements of SJ's titles. Rolling Eyes

This is like that Superman incident all over again, in some ways.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
Like it has been said, all this other stuff happens and they are apologizing for this and not the other stufff also?
sepherest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote
This was a rather dissapointing reason for an apology.
It's not like all kids have canisters of high-pressurized helium lying around in their homes to inhale. I'm surprised that something like this would get attention, rather than other crude or violent scenes in SJ.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Out of all of the crap that comes out of Japan, HELIUM is the thing that makes them apologize? Death Note influenced a murder in Belgium. A kid suffocated because of Naruto. But oh no, some manga characters breathing in Helium is way more important than people dying from Shonen Jump manga.
Though still open, that case has been pretty much filed under "a prank by some anime savvy med students with access to cadavers". Wink
mow123

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quote
Personally, I think it's a good move even if it's a bit conservative. Kids really shouldn't be think that inhaling helium is a joke, especially when it's a lot more common than the other things posters have referenced, like cannon balls to the stomach. Anime is escapism, so melodrama filled Death Note is a-ok, and I think most kids know that killing is wrong. However, based on some of the posts here, some people think this isn't a big deal and it's safe and an okay thing to use inhaling as a joke. Huffing helium just doesn't seem to cut it on the same level of escapism.

This thread also reminds me of Bill Clinton, which is also a good thing.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Shueisha has been having a lack of maintaining priorities it seems.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2