• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Local-Lies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
(like how GG recently added some Zelda joke in Chuu-2 that wasn't part of the original show).

While it was a Zelda reference, the translation got the point across and pretty much meant the same thing.

Quote:
A translators job is to allow people to enjoy something in a different language... not to create their own take on it. Thats what parodies are for.

Agreed, but sometimes liberties do need to be taken unless you like a wall of TL notes on the screen.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Agreed, but sometimes liberties do need to be taken unless you like a wall of TL notes on the screen.

I don't see why they'd need to do that. If you're bringing over something thats full of Japanese culture jokes... then its not aimed at people who don't understand Japanese culture. Why would you bother dubbing something like that in the first place? You're just asking for trouble since you're relying on anime script translators to make funny jokes instead of following the jokes written by the original source material creator. Its the reason Bakem didn't get a dub... it would have been a disaster and completely ruin the spirit of the show to make it all bad Americanized jokes just so they can "localize" it. They cared more about quality control instead of just throwing something bad together just so they can use a dub as a bullet point.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
"Manga Entertainment once attempted to qualify Blood: The Last Vampire for the award, but nope - it was too short"

Actually it was not. The rules say at least 40 minutes, it goes over that limit.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Taking a few liberties with the dub, that I don't mind so much.

It's when you completely rewrite scenes in a way that provides a context and emotion that conflicts, if not outright contradicts, the story and tone of the original work, that's when I take issue. Dialogue that characters would never say, that bothers me. Dialogue that later has to be fixed because it assumes too much of the rest of the story, that I dislike.

In other words, stuff like pretty much any DBZ dub until Kai.

Ideally, the English version should be an English version of the Japanese original. I'm not interested in the creative output of the writers at Funimation. They're not real writers. Their job is to translate the dialogue in English in a way which the English-speaking audience can make sense of. If they want to make their own cartoons, they should go into animation. They're not supposed to be storytellers.

Which is why I take offense at Carl Macek's work, because he really believed he was a storyteller. No, slamming three unrelated shows together isn't storytelling, it's a marketing ploy, and that's it. Anyone with the audacity to refer to themselves as a storyteller when they're just rebranding other peoples' work is a fraud and a jackass.

Luckily, Funimation hasn't been taking too many liberties in the past few years, though, comedies aside. There are a few lines here and there I still wince at, but overall, they're doing a decent job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sir Amyas Leigh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
... *puts down pitchfork*
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Which is why I take offense at Carl Macek's work, because he really believed he was a storyteller. No, slamming three unrelated shows together isn't storytelling, it's a marketing ploy, and that's it. Anyone with the audacity to refer to themselves as a storyteller when they're just rebranding other peoples' work is a fraud and a jackass......

I got into anime because of Carl Macek and Robotech. I remember seeing an ad for the first VHS tape for Robotech from Harmony Gold. Paid for it and got it in the mail. It was fantastic for its time. It made me look for more.

You can complain about Robotech all you want, but for its time it was gold.

Today's a different age and world, you cannot compare the two.
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
superdry wrote:

I don't see why they'd need to do that. If you're bringing over something thats full of Japanese culture jokes... then its not aimed at people who don't understand Japanese culture. Why would you bother dubbing something like that in the first place? You're just asking for trouble since you're relying on anime script translators to make funny jokes instead of following the jokes written by the original source material creator. Its the reason Bakem didn't get a dub... it would have been a disaster and completely ruin the spirit of the show to make it all bad Americanized jokes just so they can "localize" it. They cared more about quality control instead of just throwing something bad together just so they can use a dub as a bullet point.

It all depends on the show and the references made. I wasn't talking about dubbing either so dunno why you bring that up.

Regarding localizing jokes, that all depends on the joke, too. If it's something super obscure that only a Japanese person or someone really familiar with Japanese culture can understand, then I'd say try to see if one can fit something more well known first...if not, then keep the original.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
If its something like shin chan where they just replace one joke with another then I dont see it as a big deal. But some of the things answer man was suggesting, changing the personality or relationships is over the line. Nobody cares, or at least I dont care about the distributing companies take on a work. If they were any good at creating original material, companies like funimation wouldn't just license programs. And last time I checked when they changed a relationship cough*sailormoon*cough it made one of the bigger stinks that still exist in that fandom to this day.

Like someone else said if I want someone else take on a work ill look at a parody, but the only reason the majority of us go through companies like funi and sentai, instead of importing is because we cant understand the language. So stick to your job of translating, and leave the creative work where it belongs with the original creators.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
If its something like shin chan where they just replace one joke with another then I don't see it as a big deal.

That's not what they did with Shin-chan at all. They basically turned a relatively innocent, naive, and somewhat simple kid into a complete insufferable mean-spirited arse. Not to mention all his friends got similar treatment, like making Kazama some ultra conservative soapbox Republican parody or all the jokes about how Nene's father rapes/abuses her or whatever disgusting angle they were going for with her. They basically took Calvin and Hobbes and made Calvin an Eric Cartman stand-in while Hobbes is a drug addict Tiger who molests Calvin. Because that's funny.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, the first season of Shin-chan did make me laugh, but it got old after a while (you can only make so many abortion jokes), and I wonder why they even licensed the show if they intended to completely change it. Why not instead license something you won't need to rewrite? Seems like a lot of unnecessary work just to deface the original product. Not to mention the releases were dub-only.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:57 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

A translators job is to allow people to enjoy something in a different language... not to create their own take on it. Thats what parodies are for.

Who's to say translating an obscure japanese joke/pun into something more analogous to a joke/pun someone would tell in English that basically equates to the same joke, isn't allowing that person to "enjoy something in a different language" (btw, I hope you can see the paradox in your own statment there)?

Honestly I don't even understand why this bothers people so much. The worst part is the people who tend to complain about it are the people who claim they don't even watch the dubs, so why again do you care? Clearly the dub track isn't aimed at you, so you can pretty easily ignore its existence Rolling Eyes
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:09 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
Honestly I don't even understand why this bothers people so much. The worst part is the people who tend to complain about it are the people who claim they don't even watch the dubs, so why again do you care? Clearly the dub track isn't aimed at you, so you can pretty easily ignore its existence Rolling Eyes

I don't get it either, but I think it has something to do with this weird obssession of wanting everything to be exact and precisely the same. It doesn't matter to them what reason any change in translation through subtitles or an adaptation through a dub is, whether it's for creative reasons or something else (seriously, "being creative" is not only reason behind any dub adaptation. Quit scoping on that one thing), they for some reason need things to be exact and the same even if it could be at the expense of say, a translation sounding redundant. Although I don't know where the obsession of keeping adaptations and translations the same right down to the syllable itself came from. I mean, was that mentality existent among many anime fans like a decade or decade-in-a-half ago?
DomonX2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:47 am Reply with quote
I agree with Truth. I expect 90-100% accuracy of the subtitle script or else half of the dub sucks. Anything 89% or lower is too low. That's why Bandai(to an extent) where the best dubbing company for Japanese animation. And before somebody says 'Overly literal dubbing will make the voice acting horrible and there will be no emotion' or something like that, I'd show them Big O and Cowboy Bebop to prove that misconception wrong. Yeah, you can EXPAND to make the mouth movements match like they do in said 2 dubs above, but they shouldn't do stupid shit like they do in the DB Kai dub, where they try to make certain characters smart and they add stupid shit like 'Dude my Truck' and 'Freeza's god awful speech before he blasts Goku'(2 of them even). As for XL, stop with your 'how Japan does this better' bullshit like you've been preaching for the past 2 and a half years. Regardless how 'in depth' Japan may or may not go into for the Tokyo Awards, the fact remains that the Academy Awards are the highest level in film.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

I got into anime because of Carl Macek and Robotech. I remember seeing an ad for the first VHS tape for Robotech from Harmony Gold. Paid for it and got it in the mail. It was fantastic for its time. It made me look for more.

Could it be that Macross is good and despite smothering narration, and lines, which don't make any sense ("This results from proculture!" makes sense in Macross, but not in Robotech, where protoculture has a different meaning), some quality managed to escape from the series to the Robotech edit?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

Could it be that Macross is good and despite smothering narration, and lines, which don't make any sense ("This results from proculture!" makes sense in Macross, but not in Robotech, where protoculture has a different meaning), some quality managed to escape from the series to the Robotech edit?

Didn't say it was without flaws, but for its time it was good. It is easy with a modern eye to pick things apart from over 30 years ago, especially with the glut of anime you have available today. But when you live through those times, it is through that lens you have to look.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3