• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Ninja Nonsense

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I wonder what the reason for trying to hide that their You're Under Arrest release is actually season two? It seems like there is an actual effort to trick people judging from the description. Maybe Sentai assumed that they wouldn't get enough sales because people would obviously want to see the first part before buying the second. That probably is what viewers would do, but it doesn't seem right to hide it.

Its because the first season under AnimEigo's print is NOT easy to find, and more expensive to obtain. The singles are very rare, I know because I snagged them at a convention 3 and half years ago. The S1 boxset still run for about $55. Section23 knows it's easier to sell thier set to the people not famillar with AnimEigo's 2002 print.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Ms. Erin.
I would advise you to take a second look at YUA 2000(also known as "2000" because it aired four years after season 1). Try buying the season 1 box set or better yet as my friend Mr. Dragoon suggested, catch the streamed episodes of Season 1 on TAN.
While you review wasn’t biased or finicky, it seemed too naïve. Due to the fact that you have never seen the 1996 TV series. So of course you would have a nonchalant view on it. I had the same view about the show when I first purchased the movie, after watching season 1 I changed my opinion. You’ll find quite of a lot of surprises in the first season. Also YUA S1, there are quite a lot of interesting recurring characters like “Strike Man”(sentai spoof), “Scooter Mama”, “Chie-Sagami Ono”(Yuriko’s rival) and there’s even 2 new characters that get introduced at the end of the first season Inspector Kinoshita and Natsumi’s love interest Officer Toukairin.
YUA S1, is fairly enjoyable and has very solid writing, the only problem it has is that the animation is very low budgeted and subpar, but it’s quite simple to overlook . The 1999 mini specials were weak and this version succeeds it by a year.

YUA 1994 OVA and 1996 TV series were licensed in the U.S. by AnimEigo in 2002 who BTW did a splendid dub with its ADR partner Costal Carolina . The singles are rare and hard to find. The boxsets are much easier to obtain, but last I checked in 2006 were a bit steep about $60.As for St Frog, I saw it at Anime Tuesdays back in October. It's quite enojyable and pretty funny.

spoiler[Spoiler: Aoi Futaba is potrayed as a transvestite in this incarnation but in the manga and movie she’s a futanari.]
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
I wonder what the reason for trying to hide that their You're Under Arrest release is actually season two? It seems like there is an actual effort to trick people judging from the description. Maybe Sentai assumed that they wouldn't get enough sales because people would obviously want to see the first part before buying the second. That probably is what viewers would do, but it doesn't seem right to hide it.
Are you implying that Sentai would try to pull the wool over their customer's eyes in hope of making a sale? Who do you think they are, ADV? Wink Yet another epic fail. Rolling Eyes

Well technically I think he is spot on. Though I think "trick" may be too harsh a word if you broke down what is happening metaphorically. But in laymen's terms he is on target. IMO.

Or are you just being sarcastic, in which case, sorry!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

Its because the first season under AnimEigo's print is NOT easy to find, and more expensive to obtain. The singles are very rare, I know because I snagged them at a convention 3 and half years ago. The S1 boxset still run for about $55. Section23 knows it's easier to sell thier set to the people not famillar with AnimEigo's 2002 print.

RightStuf.com has individual volumes 1-13 for $9.99 each. There's currently a megabundle of all the individual volumes for $129.99. They also have all the box sets except for Box Set 2. Box Sets 1 and 3 are $34.99 each and Box Set 4 is $44.99.

Really, the whole first season for $55? Or do you mean the individual box sets?

Last edited by Asrialys on Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Have you ever thought, “I like Naruto, but you know, I wish there was more Naruto/Sasuke love.”? If so, I'd recommend a trip to Comic Market. Failing that, there's always Nabari.

Nabari doesn't even come close to Naruto in terms of plot, the scale of the story, nor the action. And folks looking for it are better off with the Comiket doujins for straight-up yaoi action rather than settling for oh-so pretentious, cheesy emo pseudo-yaoi Yoite x Miharu relationship.

Quote:
Even the dub actors admit these ninjas are gay in the commentary on episode 25.

Comparatively, Mircacle Train is 100x less gay than this (which makes sense when you think about it) And is way more fun and enjoyable if you don't mind the bishounen fest.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Hah, I sometimes thought that Nabari was actually a love triangle between Miharu, Yoite, and Tobari so I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that! Also disliked the anime a lot since I only started really liking the manga after Yoite wasn't as important.
I have the first single for the first YUA series and I really liked it actually, wouldn't mind seeing more of of. Off to netflix I guess.
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh man....I've been eyeballing that Batman TAS box set for a while now...

Anime cry How I want it so....
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Anyone want to guess what the manga are?

Sure, I'll take a crack at it....
Air Gear, Black God, Bleach, Claymore, Chrono Crusade, D.Gray-man, Death Note, Eyeshield 21, Fate/Stay Night, Fullmetal Alchemist, Hayate Combat Butler, Hunter x Hunter, Kurohime, Love Hina, Lunar Legends, Midori Days, Monster, Mushi-shi, My-Hime, Naruto, Negima, Pretty Face, Ral Grad, Shakugan no Shana, Sundome, Welcome to the NHK, and YuYu Hakusho.

Shame about the box sets playing with an otherwise orderly collection, but sometimes the they just don't fall in line with shelf-breaks where you'd like them.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Wink
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:34 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
cheesy emo pseudo-yaoi

Yay! Very Happy

I have the first partbox (pun intended) of Nabari and the second is on its way. I wanted to support this title because it seems so different from the other stuff that I see Funimation licensing. I might be wrong, but this is the first title that is even vaguely shounen-ai licensed by Funi. Question

I've seen mixed reviews, but I don't mind tea drinking and talking. (re: I liked Saiunkoku)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote
[quote="tuxedocat"]
configspace wrote:
I might be wrong, but this is the first title that is even vaguely shounen-ai licensed by Funi. Question

Gayesball, errrr Big Windup!/Oofuri
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
LOL! I thought that Oofuri was a sports anime! --I've seen very little about that title.

But weren't those both released just recently? ( or maybe even licensed around the same period of time?) I'm looking at my Funimation items I've bought in the last few years, and I don't see anything shounen-ai(ish) anywhere.

It makes me wonder if Funi is testing the waters to see if there is a market for vague-ambiguous-shounen-ai titles.

I will have to check out Sgt. Frog. Netflix first. Unfortunately, I've spent over $400 on anime this month, and I must start restraining myself.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:24 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
It makes me wonder if Funi is testing the waters to see if there is a market for vague-ambiguous-shounen-ai titles.

No need for FUNi to test the waters; Gundam has been doing that quite fine for the last 10 years or so.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:09 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
Are you implying that Sentai would try to pull the wool over their customer's eyes in hope of making a sale? Who do you think they are, ADV? Wink Yet another epic fail. Rolling Eyes

Well technically I think he is spot on. Though I think "trick" may be too harsh a word if you broke down what is happening metaphorically. But in laymen's terms he is on target. IMO.

Yeah, I knew that the word "trick" definitely seemed harsher than what I wanted to say, but I couldn't think of a word that fit better. Overall, I'd say that the packaging doesn't really sit right with me.
YuYuUrameshi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:59 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Manga and Foo Fighters-I can see this week's shelf obsessed contributor has very good taste Very Happy

Hope having a Rise Against poster above that now doesn't change that sentiment Razz
John Casey wrote:
Oh man....I've been eyeballing that Batman TAS box set for a while now...

Anime cry How I want it so....

It is a wise investment. It took me a while, but going through each episode was a fantastic trip down memory lane. I can't wait until Batman Beyond gets a similar treatment.
bglassbrook wrote:
Quote:
Anyone want to guess what the manga are?

Sure, I'll take a crack at it....
Air Gear!, Black God!, Bleach!, Claymore!, Chrono Crusade!, D.Gray-man!, Death Note!, Eyeshield 21!, Fate/Stay Night!, Fullmetal Alchemist!, Hayate Combat Butler!, Hunter x Hunter!, Kurohime!, Love Hina!, Lunar Legends!, Midori Days!, Monster!, Mushi-shi!, My-Hime!, Naruto, Negima!, Pretty Face!, Ral Grad!, Shakugan no Shana, Sundome!, Welcome to the NHK!, and YuYu Hakusho!.

Shame about the box sets playing with an otherwise orderly collection, but sometimes the they just don't fall in line with shelf-breaks where you'd like them.

I got rid of the Naruto and Shana, but other than that the shelf is pretty much the same.
As far as the boxsets, you're right when you say it is a shame. What's also a shame is that you can't see that two of those FMA box sets are signed. The first one has Vic Monaga (Ed of course) and the second is Colleen Clinkenbeard (Hawkeye). Hoping to get Wrath at Sakuracon this year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5