• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - FUNi People

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:53 am Reply with quote
Every time I hear people talk about the weather where they live I give thanks I live in Vancouver. It rarely snows. Maybe a bit the odd time a year. It isn't really all that hot in the summer either. I can't really stand any temperature over 68 so it's still not perfect but I guess it's still so much better than most places.

*Makes Note* No big monkey in Lovely Bones. I am disappointed. Honestly though, I love the Lord of the Rings movies. They're not subtle at all but they're still a lot of fun.

Question I should have asked even though I wouldn't have gotten an answer: What is happening with Hellsing OVA??? I would think at this point there is some kind of problem. Is there a legal or ownership issue? Is it a cost issue? It seems like such an obvious choice to rescue.

That's definitely the case for me with BD. I own a PS3. I generally don't buy BDs though. The added cost doesn't justify the benefit.

Funimation: Prepare to receive my terrible Akira rip-off ideas for an anime. I have many.
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:11 am Reply with quote
One of the best episodes yet!

Although very vague, the answer given to the Higurashi question has me full of optimism. When I get my tax return, I'm gonna double-dip and buy the When They Cry thinpak set.
silver_deeds

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:34 am Reply with quote
I thought Big Wind-Up was doing so well... what are people waiting for?? It's such a shame that every time a company tries to license something like this it just doesn't sell. Anime cry

It's interesting how much Marketing has changed. Too bad I decided not to major there. It's nice to know we are getting somewhere with BR, even if Funi's getting complaints about their quality.
The Count

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:22 am Reply with quote
silver_deeds wrote:
I thought Big Wind-Up was doing so well... what are people waiting for?? It's such a shame that every time a company tries to license something like this it just doesn't sell. Anime cry

Yep, I agree. This was one of the best release last year for me. But to be fair to others I only picked it up by chance, and though it was going be alright but nothing special so I can see how others may have slept on this one.

The best info for me from this podcast is that Funi is working on the timing of their Blu-Rays releases. I get so pissed when I see a Blu-Ray version of a show I just purchased will be released just a few months later.

@Zac

Being in Arizona scraping a bit of ice of the car sounds like a vacation compared to being in the Midwest or East coast.

Last edited by The Count on Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:37 am Reply with quote
Namco Bandai Needs to give us One Piece Unlimited Cruise Dammit >_>....

In Defense of Strike Witches, It was #5 on Amazon.com and now its #10 it comes out in 2 months and its beating out alot of things.

I have never seen an Episode of Big Windup because I hate baseball. Maybe one day though.

Wow man just wow. To the guy that called me a [censored]. How are you gonna loud somebody out over loud speaker like that I never ask any questions and when I do it actually gets an answer and I get attacked [censored]...... [censored] that was NOT cool [censored].... And Damn Right No Dub no sale Dammit...

Anyway I am glad One Piece is doing good Toei needs to get on a good TV Deal. You hear that Naruto, Luffy is gonna soon kick your ass.
^
(Naruto is good but doesn't come close to One Piece)

Moe Moe Kyun!!!!!

FUNimation should Co Produce an Anime based off the 3 Godfather Movies. That would kick the SOOOOO!!!! MUCH ASS!!!!

Dance in the Vampire Bund........ That is my License Request for the year 2010.....

[edited -t]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
The Count

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:25 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
I have never seen an Episode of Big Windup because I hate baseball. Maybe one day though
I hate baseball too, way to slow for me but this series is great.

Mario1234567 wrote:

Wow man just wow. To the guy that called me a B**** (*Points Finger*) your a Douechbag. How are you gonna loud somebody out over loud speaker like that I never ask any questions and when I do it actually gets an answer and I get attacked by the ass reading the question...... Just know I'd punch you if I could cause that was NOT cool you rude bastard....
@Zac
Thanks you sooooooo much for that. You had me rolling for like 5mins. And Mario your response, classic. I was seriously in tears laughing.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:11 am Reply with quote
krelyan wrote:
jenthehen wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
jenthehen wrote:
I honestly DON'T see a huge quality difference between DVD and blu-ray to be honest (when both discs are played on a blu-ray player). So I don't mind buying DVD's ... especially so long as I still have a 20 inch 5+ year old tv and a dvd/vhs player combo in my apartment ...

lol, yes, of course you're not going to see any difference on that!

No no ... I mean, when I watch on my fiance's tv - 50 inch flat screen. I mean, blu-ray is a little crisper, but it isn't night and day, really (between a blu-ray and a dvd). The blu-ray player makes the dvd's look a bit crisper, though (or maybe it's just the giant tv) ... I mean, I can actually marathon a subtitled show without feeling like my eyes are going to bleed afterwards Very Happy

Anyway ... want to see a HUGE difference? Pop in an old VHS - now THAT's scary!!

That's because the TV or player is upscaling the DVD. Trying running the DVD player through the standard A/V cables and then comparing the difference. Smile

But why does that matter? All that matters is how it looks to me while I'm watching it. Why would I care that at the ROOT of the disc, the blu-ray is better? I just want to be able to watch something with good quality.

Jeeeesh ~ you blu-ray nerds Very Happy

Oh yeah! And it seems that they still haven't been able to fix disc skipping even on blu-ray ... as we discovered on a copy we rented (so yeah, it might have been scratched or smudged) ... but still. I always just thought I had a shitty player or that dvd's weren't as good, but ... nope. A blu-ray disc in a new ps3 can still freeze/skip at times.

Congrats, technology. Rolling Eyes
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:14 am Reply with quote
Another excellent podcast guys. Justin, be glad you visited Detroit when you did, we just got our first real snowfall of the year here and traffic turned into one of Dante's levels of Hell.

Thanks for the question about Kiddy Grade blu-ray. I could see Funi not be allowed to release one considering there is one for sale over in Japan for *gobs* of money. Reverse importation fears would quickly put the kibosh on that happening, which is unfortunate. It was also good to hear that they give a care about the work they do on producing blu-ray's. It would seem common sense that you can only make things look as good as the source material you started with. And the end of the day, you, the informed anime consumer needs to make a choice, and get on with it.

I agree the annoucements of titles a year out can seem a little odd at times. I had almost forgotten that Slayers Revolution was announced this time last year, and now it's just on the cusp of being released. Patience really is a virtue. Wink
bleuster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:27 am Reply with quote
So, is it too late to expect a Case Closed Season 6, then?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:41 am Reply with quote
Another great podcast. About Big Windup I had an interesting until I heard that spoiler[a bunch of episodes are spent on just one game.] When I heard that I lost all interest in it as a series. I can understand the whole "well if you want more of it, you have to buy it now, not later" that makes sense. I used to that with things but when money problems come a rolling I had to stop doing that and wait for stuff to become cheaper before I could invest in it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:49 am Reply with quote
My heart breaks a little whenever people talk about Case Closed. That show is MY CHILD.

And aw peas, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers! That show, on the other hand, was MY CHILDHOOD!
jennye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:54 am Reply with quote
I adore Gintama in all its forms! I love its balance of ridiculousness and seriousness, juvenile and adult sensibilities, action and quiet. It makes me nearly fall out of my chair laughing one minute and then hold back the sniffles the next (of course, that could just be because I'm a big sap).

For me, I think having a little background on the Shinsengumi from also reading Kaze Hikaru (more squee!) and reading / watching Peacemaker (Kurogane) adds another layer of understanding and enjoyment to my Gintama experience. And there's always Wikipedia to help fill in the knowledge gaps! Razz

I agree that the animé may not work as well with an English dub, due to the Japaneseness of the themes and humor, but I would still totally watch it just to get another spin on one of my favorite titles. I am buying the books (after having started by checking them out from the library), am watching the subbed show as a paying Crunchyroll member, have bought all the soundtracks so far, and will snap up the DVDs if they ever release them, all just to say thank you to Sorachi and co. for giving me so much to smile about.

Gin may not be for everybody, but give him a chance--he just might grow on you. Smile
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:11 am Reply with quote
The Count wrote:

Mario1234567 wrote:

Wow man just wow. To the guy that called me a B**** (*Points Finger*) your a Douechbag. How are you gonna loud somebody out over loud speaker like that I never ask any questions and when I do it actually gets an answer and I get attacked by the ass reading the question...... Just know I'd punch you if I could cause that was NOT cool you rude bastard....
@Zac
Thanks you sooooooo much for that. You had me rolling for like 5mins. And Mario your response, classic. I was seriously in tears laughing.

Zac, that was a funny but sad moment for Mario. I couldn't help but laugh also. Sorry Mario.

JohnnySake wrote:

I agree the annoucements of titles a year out can seem a little odd at times. I had almost forgotten that Slayers Revolution was announced this time last year, and now it's just on the cusp of being released. Patience really is a virtue. Wink

They didn't explain why they couldn't announce it say 4 months before release instead of announcing it 1 year before release.
Tascar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:33 am Reply with quote
Correct me if I am mistaken. But I simply don't understand the point of upscaling SD anime or any other content for that matter just to put out a Blu-Ray version. Samurai Champloo, for example, seems to have been made in SD and if there is not a better-than-SD source to work from, what is the point of "altering" the show?

I guess it just stuns me that Funimation talks about wanting to push Blu-Ray and HD and yet we keep seeing these upscale double-dips which deceive less informed customers into thinking that they are buying something different than what they could get themselves by putting their DVD into an upscaling DVD player or a PS3. In the meantime releases like the Evangelion movie(s) that genuinely benefit from HD resolution, releases that actually warrant Blu-Ray and whose quality could really sell customers on the merits of Blu-Ray, are few and far between. I understand that it takes awhile for genuine HD anime content to trickle down into the U.S. market. I just don't understand why companies are undercutting Blu-Ray by putting out Blu-Rays of questionable HD merit.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear that Funimation was already expecting some backlash from those live-action licenses. Even though I was as disappointed as anyone else, I was beginning to feel bad for all the flak they were catching. Sad

Interesting that they seem to at least be considering sub-only releases for smaller titles. Funimation's always been the dub-or-die company and I was beginning to worry that their casts were going to get worn out!

Adam is always a lot of fun to listen to, that energy's so contagious! It almost makes you wanna jump out of your seat and, I dunno, buy a lot of anime... Aha, so THAT'S their secret plan! Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13