• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Simulcast Aniplex's So-Ra-No-Wo-To Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:25 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
egoist wrote:
maaya wrote:
I would like them to improve their translation qualities a bit. I suppose they have a lot of pressure because of the simulcast and not much time for the translation, but still ... some of these translations are far from professional, unfortunately v.v

Their translators are good enough, they just need some quality check. I was watching Fairy Fail yesterday and the word "dieing" came up, a quality checker couldn't possibly miss that, thus I came to the conclusion that they don't quality check most of their videos; perhaps none.

The subtitles for Durarara!! didn't always fit on the page, and they translated the title of the first episode wrong, apparently having not realized it was a yojijukugo. But hey, the video quality was awesome, as was not having to wait a week. How long is So-Ra-No-Wo-To going to be? Will the three months I think I'll buy cover it?

I dunno. Their subtitles are ok, imho "good enough" for a fansub, but not for something official and definitely not if you are going to pay for it. oO
I didn't write down the translations errors I realize while watching some of the episodes, maybe I should have, but there were clearly some errors a professional translator shouldn't make (real errors when translation certain expressions wrong or simply leaving out complete lines for whatever reason). And personally I'm also sometimes irritated by how they romanize some names (f.ex. in Erin), which seemed completely random.

I dunno what will happen if any of the crunchyroll series is coming out on DVD (have there been any so far?), but then at the latest the translations would need to be double-checked.

Yea, Sora no Woto will be a one season show, 12 episodes I think?
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I think CR only license shows for online streaming, doesn't it? But the only show I watch there with not so many mistakes is Naruto, and that's probably because they have more than one quality checking, since that's their main show I suppose. Still, I don't really think their subscription is anything to actually worry over, it's really not much. But I guess their worst subs gotta be Skip Beat!, at least from what I've seen, and funnily enough they never bothered checking it.

*cough* Remembered that they sell episodes as well(forced donation = sale, I suppose?), so I really doubt they will ever bother with DVDs even if they're allowed to.
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:40 pm Reply with quote
actually I was asking because they are streaming quite a few shows I would like to buy on DVD, if they ever come out. But then I would like to have a better translation quality, if it is ever going to happen v.v
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:

I dunno what will happen if any of the crunchyroll series is coming out on DVD (have there been any so far?), but then at the latest the translations would need to be double-checked.

So far, there are five shows that originally aired on CrunchyRoll before coming out on R1 DVD:

BLASSREITER
Glass Mask
Kurokami The Animation
Neo Angelique Abyss
Strike Witches
The Tower of DRUAGA -the Aegis of URUK-

Three are licensed by Funimation (all GONZO series), two by Section 23, and one by Bandai Entertainment.

The only one I have on order myself is Strike Witches, and it does have entirely new subtitles from Funimation (I know because Funimation briefly uploaded the DVD version of the episodes to their site, and has them for Download-to-own as well).
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:12 am Reply with quote
Although it looks and sounds too much like K-ON! in a military setting (with a dash of Strike Witches' setting), I'm still looking forward to it, since the premises for SW and K-ON! were pretty nice to begin with (just that the execution and actual implementation was lacking). A-1 Pictures, however, struck that sort of visual style with Kannagi before K-ON! did, and considering how well both it and the overall show turned out, I think that So-Ra-No-Wo-To will turn out pretty well (and hopefully avoid the "moe-blob" look). Good to see CR with another strong lineup for the season.

On a separate note, this seems like another attempt by A-1 at sticking it Kyoto Animation, or at the very least, impede on their "territory" (Kannagi, Tonari no 801-chan R "OP" short, and now So-Ra-No-Wo-To).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:25 am Reply with quote
Haha, so it's A-1 vs Kyoani (or likewise Aniplex vs Kadokawa)?
ding, ding, ding, fight!!!
TJR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:28 am Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:

On a separate note, this seems like another attempt by A-1 at sticking it Kyoto Animation, or at the very least, impede on their "territory" (Kannagi, Tonari no 801-chan R "OP" short, and now So-Ra-No-Wo-To).

That's actually the work of the parent company, Aniplex (Sony). They're absolutely dominating right now with big hits like Bakemonogatari, Kara no Kyoukai, Kannagi, Darker Than Black II, and Kuroshitsuji, so there's plenty of money to play around with.

Anyway, Aniplex is definitely aiming to tap into the KyoAni (more or less Kadokawa and TBS/Pony Canyon territory) market that's taken the industry by storm. In addition to 801-chan, they have Angel Beats coming up.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:37 am Reply with quote
I wonder though if studios sign exclusive or non-compete contracts with the publishers or can they work for competing publishers/licensors, either simultaneously or at least in different time frames? For example, could A-1 also create some show for Kadokawa and likewise can Kyoani do the same for Aniplex? (And ufotable for TV-Tokyo, others, etc)
TJR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:52 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
I wonder though if studios sign exclusive or non-compete contracts with the publishers or can they work for competing publishers/licensors, either simultaneously or at least in different time frames? For example, could A-1 also create some show for Kadokawa and likewise can Kyoani do the same for Aniplex? (And ufotable for TV-Tokyo, others, etc)

A-1 is a wholly owned subsidiary of Aniplex, so they're exclusive. Supposedly, they aren't really a fixed studio either since teams are assembled and then released by Aniplex on a per project basis.

OTOH, most studios are independent and can accept work from any company. However, the relationships between producers tend to be tight, so we often see the same sponsors and studios partnering up (as well as anime directors and other staff).
Crystal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:27 am Reply with quote
Sweet! I wanted to check out this series without watching fansubs, so I got lucky!
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:33 am Reply with quote
TJR wrote:

Anyway, Aniplex is definitely aiming to tap into the KyoAni (more or less Kadokawa and TBS/Pony Canyon territory) market that's taken the industry by storm. In addition to 801-chan, they have Angel Beats coming up.

Out of curiosity, are chances of KyoAni working with Aniplex on a project pretty much zip?
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:01 am Reply with quote
TJR: Ah, I didn't know that about A-1
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:15 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
maaya wrote:
I would like them to improve their translation qualities a bit. I suppose they have a lot of pressure because of the simulcast and not much time for the translation, but still ... some of these translations are far from professional, unfortunately v.v

Their translators are good enough, they just need some quality check. I was watching Fairy Fail yesterday and the word "dieing" came up, a quality checker couldn't possibly miss that, thus I came to the conclusion that they don't quality check most of their videos; perhaps none.

Can you tell me which episode that was in? I'll fix it (and complain to my editor Smile ).
Edit: Nevermind, I found it.

My greatest weakness at a proofreader is, unfortunately, spelling. dieing is actually included in my spellchecker dictionary as a word (It technically means "to cut into a certain shape"), so that's why I must have missed it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2