• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Story of Saiunkoku GN 8

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Crystalyn wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

What I was told in the Saiunkoku Live Journal community is the manga is finished in Japan and definitely did not cover all the novels. Again though I am not sure if this information is accurate and I would love some confirmation on this.

The manga version ended in Japan in April with the ninth volume. Kadokawa's website lists the ninth volume as the final one. The manga covers the story of the first three of 18 light novels.

Hmm... disappointing, but good to know. I'll collect the final volume, regardless. It looks like the manga is going to end right after Ryuuki provides her with her territory to govern over. I guess it's a fitting enough ending point for the manga.

I still appreciated collecting the manga, despite it not going as far as I'd like. It gave me some additional side chapters that helped flesh some characters out a bit. If I don't want to keep it any more, I'll just donate it to the library.

Le sigh. I expect that I probably won't get to fully experience the series beyond the 2nd season (which I plan on watching at some point in the near future).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Great review! I love how feminism is portrayed in this story. The idea that true strength of character can be achieved by hard work and using ones talents to help others, and no one has to change their self identification or conception of their gender to achieve that.

I actually like the manga more than the anime. It fleshed out the details of the story in a way that makes it easier to understand and follow. The anime compresses the plot points into a confusing maze, while still slowing down the action to a boring standstill.

Maybe the show gets better as it goes along (I only watched part of the first season) but I love Shurei and am now completely bummed that the manga ends with volume 9.

What?! That's only a third of the story! How will I ever find out how Shurei balances her political career with the Emperor's desire to marry her? Dang...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2