• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm not totally sure what you guys are on about. The bigger issue is that a girl alone couldn't travel safely, as was already mentioned. If the thing that disturbs you is that she continues to wear boy's clothes, you might consider where she would get the new clothes to change into. She apparently didn't have any with her when she was captured. In that sense it would be easier to have her keep wearing the clothes she arrived in.

I suspect there might be a deeper reason that has only been hinted at, though. There has been discussions of another group of Shinsengumi, and another leader of the Shinsengumi that they do not see eye to eye with. No doubt they are keeping Chizuru around because they think she can be useful for dealing with her father. If her father is involved with that other group, they would want to keep her hidden.

Anyways, the show just started, so I imagine some things will be unclear for a couple of episodes at least.
Mister V

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Aww. The gentle-hearted girl brings warmth into the household of the manly Shinsengumi. Well I'll be damned. This kind of innocent and quite traditional (at least in ) romance is popular with girls there? It had to be in some way, since it became an anime.
Ah, not saying that it's bad or anything, but I'm certainly amused. Smile

I wonder if the series will later have training sequences, and Chizuru actually becoming a fighter. Then it'll really be something quite unexpected (a violent reverse harem?).

Anyway, things aren't boring, but it doesn't look like the studio has enough budget for fights (or maybe it's just not the focus of the series...).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying this series so far. The dynamic between the dudes and the Cute Little Chick cracks me up:

Male #1 (sternly to Cute Little Chick): "You are forbidden to do _______."

Male #2: "Aw, why don't you let her do ________."

Male #1: "Absolutely not." (Looks at Cute Little Chick.)

Male #1: "Okay, you can do ________."

She's got these guys wrapped around her little finger.
illustrata

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Haha, you're right!

And what does little Chizuru say when Okita threatens her that he's going to kill her if she runs away. She blushes and says thank you.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I decided to watch this too, the disguise of the girl was pretty awefull, I am reminded of when I watched Nyan Koi and I was wondering why everyone was saying "he". I guess it worked because girls traditionaly wore much more proper clothing and were not alowed to carry swords.

My guess at why she is told to continue deception an limited movement, is both to not impact on their disciplin which is against rules, and thus also so others do not find out there is a woman there. The strange thing is that they continue to give her more freedome, I found myself saying when she was seen in the kitchen saying sarcasticly that "Yeah an assasin would not wait a couple weeks just to be given the chance to poison their food".

Anyway the only experience I have with this type of genre is with Samurai Champloo and a bit from Air, so I plan to watch more.
Mister V

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:51 am Reply with quote
So we were waiting for proper opponents to the obviously powerful Shinsengumi, and we got 'em. Traditionally, they are some kind of mysterious and cool-looking villains way over our heroes' level.

Also, that is an awesome way to improve your public image - a parade of secret police covered in blood. "Um, Harada-san, I get the feeling that the people of the city are avoiding us." Rolling Eyes

On a more serious note, though, since this is an otome game, I expected the female lead to be less generic, and overall a stronger character. Is that not meant to happen?..
Mister V

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think I'd actually be reviving the thread, but things have gotten more interesting.

spoiler[Chizuru has constant self-heal, which means that we're starting to tiptoe into the supernatural territory. I like the fact that this show didn't turn into a superpower hackfest overnight. The big revelation about the medicine was pretty much an open secret, but it's interesting to see how that will develop. It's a pity if the glasses guy bites it first.

We also have our band of antagonists.... perhaps.

The show's production quality does not drop, animation and art surprisingly remain very good. Still, this isn't the time for major fights yet, and I'm actually looking forward to them showing off their animation during those. ]
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 2:21 am Reply with quote
I continue to be impressed by this show. They are doing a good job of keeping to historical fact, given the insertion of spoiler[the mysterious "medicine".]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:28 am Reply with quote
Does anyone else think that spoiler[the girl's healing factor might be the answer to perfecting the medicine. Something the father did to her, but has had trouble replicating.]
Mister V

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:36 am Reply with quote
Sort of, I think it's a classic case of spoiler["You are my child, and my perfect creation!" Then we have two options - either her father going mad/evil, or him dying at the hands of the antagonists for whom he was working. ] I can only hope it won't be like that, but so far things seem to be

I also find it curious that foreigners are spoken of in a strictly negative context, and even that awful medicine comes from the West. Oh, I know that this feeling was the norm, however, shows usually try to downplay it, and this one isn't looking for excuses (which is good).
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Expel the barbarians! Shocked Well, that's what they were feeling. You can see that same attitude around the world today, as people struggle to hold on to what they have against the dreaded outsiders who think and act differently.
Mister V

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that's what I meant, too. Anyway, I was about to say "this show doesn't really look like it was made from an otome game", and then comes episode 7 and we get filler and... fanservice -_- Still, they managed to keep it minimal, and we actually get some plot-relevant information.

Anyways, the story seems to be shaping up nicely, and there's some good action (if quite short).
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I actually finally got around to revisiting this the other day. I'm only three episodes in but my opinion of it has at least somewhat improved. The lead character is still boring and the animation and fight scenes are average but it's at least something is going on. It seems like if it keeps moving in this direction it could develop into a moderately entertaining series. I was just going to give it the customary 3 episodes before dropping it but now I'm thinking it's at least worth pursuing for now.
Tarou Komori

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I like this series a lot, I especially love the animation and character design. Not to mention I'm a sucker for samurai anime to begin with.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:56 am Reply with quote
I'm still really enjoying this show. It has some interesting history, and then they twist it with these demon characters. Cool

Recently (just watched episode 8), even more plot twists have surfaced and the situation has become fairly complex. Art still looks great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3