• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Tatami Galaxy (Yojō-Han Shinwa Taikei) (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, all of the Yuasa love in this thread is making my animator's heart surge with joy.

I, too, enjoyed the first episode immensely. I love how Yuasa approaches each new project with a completely different tone (in terms of mood and story) but the stamp of his personal aesthetic remains constant nonetheless. Kemonozume was his gritty monster story, Kaiba was his dramatic love epic, Happy Machine was his surreal fantasy romp (it almost seemed like a throwback to Cat Soup), and this is his quirky character comedy. I love the inherent Yuasa-ness of the art and characters and I'm looking forward to seeing the deep personality and humanity that emerges in all of his works.

I'm still waiting for him to surpass the amazing job he did on Mind Game, but it's hard to improve on ultimate perfection. Smile At any rate, I'm eagerly awaiting the next episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:08 am Reply with quote
I'll add my 2cents by saying I love first episode. Unique, funny and I love the ending and opening sequences as they are very original as well. Now that I think about it I have seen and liked all major Yuasa's works, so no wonder Tatami Galaxy is my new favourite. Just... need... moar!
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:46 am Reply with quote
I got to say I love the first episode. I think it's already developing a good mix of story telling and wacky off the wall comedy. I really like how the characters are already becoming developed into likable characters. Each of them seem to have their own unique personalities that are enjoyable to observe. Also the animation is obviously very experimental, which I like. In fact I would go as far as to say that it almost feels like it should be a Studio 4C production. So far this seems like it's going to be a really fun anime to watch. Though I'm wishing this already had a dub, it's crazy keeping up with those subtitles. Hell I hardly have time to enjoy the art with the words shooting on and off the screen before I can read them. This series will truly be a challenge when it comes to reading the subs.

Just a quick question, does anyone know of what Makoto Ueda did before this? It seems like this is his first anime but I was wondering if he had been doing light novels or something like that before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:03 am Reply with quote
Somehow, I didn't know that Yuasa had worked on Genius Party. Shame on me, but I guess that's one reason that I have to check it out.

Mushi-Man wrote:
Just a quick question, does anyone know of what Makoto Ueda did before this? It seems like this is his first anime but I was wondering if he had been doing light novels or something like that before.
Here's his IMDB profile. Looks like only live-action stuff so far from what I can find.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Mushi-Man wrote:
Here's his IMDB profile. Looks like only live-action stuff so far from what I can find.

Thanks for the link, I haven't seen any of these movies before but based on this series I might have to check them out soon. It looks like Ueda has worked with Katsuyuki Motohiro a few times, which is cool.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Reminder: don't try to watch this before going to bed. After all, it requires more attention than I could afford to focus while sleepy. Man, talk about talking fast; it feels like they achieved in one episode what most anime usually achieve in 6, thanks to that fast dialogue. Next time I'll make sure I'm wide awake.
But, overall the episode was really enjoyable and promising. One thing I've noticed is that the art makes men look twisted/disgusting, and women look like perfect beings. But that's just my impression.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
One thing I've noticed is that the art makes men look twisted/disgusting, and women look like perfect beings. But that's just my impression.

Maybe that's intended to reflect the psychology of the main character (who is the first-person narrator)? The girl of his dreams is absolutely perfect, the eccentric maybe-a-god looks, well, weird, and the "friend" he wishes he'd never met looks like a demon.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote
So awesome. One of the most fun first episodes of any anime that I've seen. Didn't actually have any problems with the subtitles, but know that for a lot of people another viewing or listening to it in English would help.

By the way, vashfanatic, Quarkboy, the translator for this) posted a slight spoiler about the novel's structure on Mania. This definitely solves my question about how spoiler[Yuasa is going to present the other characters shown in the opening, and briefly towards the end of the first episode.] Should be a blast.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:04 am Reply with quote
This seems pretty interesting, I had my mouse though over the pause button because they were speaking so fast, and the subtitles at times went in an instant. It was definetly an enjoyable first episode and probably an experimental series in more ways then one, though that makes it more gripping. It kind of reminds me of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, though is not a gag series, instead being a ....... what genre is it exactly?
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2's out!

I think the series is titled "The Tatami Galaxy" because spoiler[each alternate world the narrator is in is like a tatami room, confining him to repeat nearly the same conflict over and over again; he lives out the same situation, forming a galaxy of tatami rooms. Perhaps it's his regret over not growing his relationship with Akashi further. Ozu an the matchmaker god probably set these events in motion somehow and are keeping the narrator trapped. Or maybe they're trying to help him break free?]

Wow, that was a lot of speculation. I really only get into analyzing something like this when I'm really enjoying it.

Favorite scene: spoiler[Moth freak-out...again Very Happy. Oh and she has a force field, too?!]
animalcalls

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:45 pm Reply with quote
As a film nerd, I loved this episode and the Godard and Truffaut references.

I think overall I enjoyed the first episode a bit more, but this and House of Five Leaves are still leaps and bounds better than everything else this spring season has to offer. Looking forward to episode three.
braves

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Look at the 3 key animators for this episode: Norio Matsumoto, Shingo Yamashita and Hiroki Tanaka. Shocked Akitoshi Yokoyama did the storyboarding and directing too.

This series continues to impress, but I'm starting to wonder when exactly when are we going to get out of spoiler[this Endless Eight type of deal (yeah, I know it's not exactly the same, but it's the only comparison I can make) and how far can they take it before it becomes tiresome.] I'm still enjoying it a lot so far.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:40 pm Reply with quote
"Akashi-san has released her AT Field!" Razz (I think she'll get a new "superpower" each episode. Last time it was freaking laser beams

-Oh good, they slowed down a bit (except for Watashi's narrations)

-Okay, I'm starting to see how this works,spoiler[ this is kinda like Endless Eight but done correctly and inspired by Higurashi/Umineko time loops Razz. But in all serious, once he did the 4th wall shattering "Haven't we had this conversation before," I got it together. Also, I really think Akashi-san is my favorite character

-"That'll be 2000 yen."
"Did your prices go up?"

-I love the way they destroyed that pompus jerk. Ozu may be an evil little demon but I think what he brings out in Watashi is even worse.

-Oh my god, they made out at the end...]

Last edited by garfield15 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
animalcalls

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:41 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Wow. Look at the 3 key animators for this episode: Norio Matsumoto, Shingo Yamashita and Hiroki Tanaka. Shocked Akitoshi Yokoyama did the storyboarding and directing too.

This series continues to impress, but I'm starting to wonder when exactly when are we going to get out of spoiler[this Endless Eight type of deal (yeah, I know it's not exactly the same, but it's the only comparison I can make) and how far can they take it before it becomes tiresome.] I'm still enjoying it a lot so far.

spoiler[I'm guessing in an episode or two, since it appears our unnamed protagonist seems to be noticing similar things between both stories (a conversation with Ozu and the prices for the psychic).] I'm certainly interested in seeing where it goes.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, I could see the spoiler[repetition continuing for the whole series, at least up until the last few episodes. Presumably it'll "end" whenever "I" finally figures out how to dump Ozu and win Akashi's heart.

Unlike Endless Eight, however, I see this staying amusing. It's not just that Yuuasa Masaaki is just that good, but also the premise really is different: it's not the same events repeated over and over, it's the same two years, trying out different paths.]

Given that we've already got a god in this, and that Ozu spoiler[seems to be aware of the time loop], does anyone else suspect Ozu may be the demon he appears to be?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7