• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z Kai to Air on TheCW4Kids on Saturdays

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Do hardcore otaku usually care what's on TV? I only watch DVDs, Blu-ray, and fansubs of unlicensed shows, I haven't watched anime on TV since the first season of Inuyasha was airing on adult swim the first time. I figure if they're 'hardcore' they'd go for the DVDs and such too.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:56 pm Reply with quote
If you're hardcore then why are you complaining about the TV broadcast? You should have the BDs and DVDs preordered by now.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Didn't The Spectacular Spider-Man air in this block?

Daimao Raki wrote:
Toei was responsible for One Piece being a disaster.

Would you be willing to elaborate?
According to VA Greg Ayers, Toei is the one who demanded all of those changes to One Piece. This is probably true because they more than likely thought since Dragonball Z was heavily edited and succeeded that One Piece would be a hit as well. They were dead wrong.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Stefnick wrote:
Hoorah, now I'll be able to watch the series, I don't get Nicktoons.

I realize how a lot of people feel about 4kids anything, but I'm seriously happy for this news, hopefully, the broadcast won't be any (too) different from Nicktoons. (though I guess I wouldn't really know.)

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? This is a nigtmare beyond words. Having it on Nicktoons and Naruto Shippuden on Disney was bad enough but DBZ to 4 crap kids of all things??? Are they trying to deliberaterly ruin anime for US hardcore otakus.

Hardcore otakus are overrated. Laughing

Amen, why complain when the DVDs are going to come out next month anyway?
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:24 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Just like with Shippuden this TV broadcast is another "avoid like the plague"

Huh? The Shippuden broadcast is pretty light on the edits and do nothing at all to effect the story or the enjoyment of the series. It's not even comparable to what 4Kids broadcast in the past.

And you should know, if it wasn't for anime being presented to kids the anime industry as we know it today wouldn't exist. It's because of shows like Voltron and Robotech up through to DBZ and Sailor Moon getting kids interested in Japanese animation that we have so many outlets to view anime in English. I think most of the people here will say that that they got into anime because of something they saw on TV. Anime would still be a couple videos in the "special interest" and "foreign" section of video stores otherwise. And if the anime industry didn't take off then the manga industry wouldn't stand a chance. I don't approve of what happened to One Piece, but I also don't see anything wrong with light edits being used to market to kids. Think of it as a long term investment, those kids are our future "hardcore otaku".

Quote:
SIX FEET UNDER!!!

That's where your elitist attitude belongs.

Emerje

Last edited by Emerje on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redlinks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Somehow, I knew this would one day happen. All those edits seemed very 4Kidz-like. Truthfully, I don't really care what channel it airs on. As long as the DVDs don't have the Nicktoons/4Kidz edits then I could careless.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote
All this talk of "4kids level edits" makes me think people have forgotten how utterly rotten some 4kids works can be. If we get away with blood/beer edits, we'll have a good day's work.

Also, this seems like a "Airing on" as opposed to "Aired by", so it's all about how Funi and the CW's S&P get along.

Mind you, what do I know? No DB Kai for the dirty europeon!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Stefnick wrote:

I realize how a lot of people feel about 4kids anything, but I'm seriously happy for this news, hopefully, the broadcast won't be any (too) different from Nicktoons. (though I guess I wouldn't really know.)

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? This is a nightmare beyond words. Having it on Nicktoons and Naruto Shippuden on Disney was bad enough but DBZ to 4 crap kids of all things??? Are they trying to deliberately ruin anime for US hardcore otakus. Cause if they are attempting to draw them to the sub version online , then they are sure doing it cause no thanks to 4kids most of them watch subs only and this will make it even worse. Just like with Shippuden this TV broadcast is another "avoid like the plague" cause knowing 4kids, they'll give the massive edits that they give to anime every time.

One Peice and Shaman King horror the sequel much??? and worse is that just like with OP and Shippuden , streamers are gonna rip the eps and illegally stream them.

I don't know what the hell Funi is doing but if they don't cgane this decision soon, it's gonna end up like Geneon as well as Central Park Media & ADV Films.

SIX FEET UNDER!!!

Well I completely agree with you. Its not enough that there are two horrible Dragon Ball Z movies, (the latest being the worst movie ever made) and now this. 4kids is going to absolutely ruin this show with pointless edits, ridiculous theme songs and are going to ruin practically everything.

This disturbs, no actually sickens me that such a masterpiece must endure such unnecessary edits. This is a brand new low, even for 4kids. They have absolutely zero respect for the Akira Toriyama, none whatsoever.

How a company, much less a person can do such depraved actions is truly frighting. 4kids should be ashamed for their actions, as well as their disturbing practices. This is utterly sickening and so very disturbing.

Makes me glad that Funimation will release Dragon Ball Z Kai the way it should be, the way the author created it and keep it uncut. At least Funimation has respect for author and his work, as well not disturbed like 4kids.

For shame 4kids, for shame.
Mohji

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Stefnick wrote:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? This is a nightmare beyond words. Having it on Nicktoons and Naruto Shippuden on Disney was bad enough but DBZ to 4 crap kids of all things??? Are they trying to deliberately ruin anime for US hardcore otakus. Cause if they are attempting to draw them to the sub version online , then they are sure doing it cause no thanks to 4kids most of them watch subs only and this will make it even worse. Just like with Shippuden this TV broadcast is another "avoid like the plague" cause knowing 4kids, they'll give the massive edits that they give to anime every time.

One Peice and Shaman King horror the sequel much??? and worse is that just like with OP and Shippuden , streamers are gonna rip the eps and illegally stream them.

I don't know what the hell Funi is doing but if they don't cgane this decision soon, it's gonna end up like Geneon as well as Central Park Media & ADV Films.

SIX FEET UNDER!!!

Well I completely agree with you. Its not enough that there are two horrible Dragon Ball Z movies, (the latest being the worst movie ever made) and now this. 4kids is going to absolutely ruin this show with pointless edits, ridiculous theme songs and are going to ruin practically everything.

This disturbs, no actually sickens me that such a masterpiece must endure such unnecessary edits. This is a brand new low, even for 4kids. They have absolutely zero respect for the Akira Toriyama, none whatsoever.

How a company, much less a person can do such depraved actions is truly frighting. 4kids should be ashamed for their actions, as well as their disturbing practices. This is utterly sickening and so very disturbing.

Makes me glad that Funimation will release Dragon Ball Z Kai the way it should be, the way the author created it and keep it uncut. At least Funimation has respect for author and his work, as well not disturbed like 4kids.

For shame 4kids, for shame.

I don't see what there is to complain about. Uncut DVD's and BD's are going to be made fully available, so if anything this will give the show some much-needed exposure. If you don't like the edits, don't watch the edited version. That's all there is to it.
YamiAtomsk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? This is a nigtmare beyond words. Having it on Nicktoons and Naruto Shippuden on Disney was bad enough but DBZ to 4 crap kids of all things??? Are they trying to deliberaterly ruin anime for US hardcore otakus. Cause if they are attempting to draw them to the sub version online , then they are sure doing it cause no thanks to 4kids most of them watch subs only and this will make it even worse. Just like with Shippuden this TV broadcast is another "avoid like the plague" cause knowing 4kids, they'll give the massive edits that they give to anime every time.

One Peice and Shaman King horror the sequel much??? and worse is that just like with OP and Shippuden , streamers are gonna rip the eps and illeagly stream them.

SIX FEET UNDER!!!

Ok seriously you're completely missing the point. Dragon Ball is and always has been a childrens anime. Dragon Ball Kai has censored several things from Z in its Japanese broadcast, and home releases for its younger demographic. The whole point of Dragon Ball Kai, is to get the younger generation into dragon ball. Also how do you expect there not to be edits when this is airing on saturday moarnings in America? The FCC definitly would not approve of blood in any cartoon at that time block. Dragon Ball Kai was never made for the fans, it was for the children who they hope will become fans. If you are a hard core fan you have the Dragon Boxes, and the uncut Kai home release.

And don't compare the edited version of Dragon Ball Kai, and Naruto Shippuden to the 4kids dubs like one piece. Because we're getting fully uncut billingual dvd releases for both Kai and Shippuden. So if you don't like edits put your money where your mouth is and buy the damn dvds (and or blu-rays)
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Is 4Kids gonna be doing their own edits? Cause if they are, it's gonna ******* suck.

jr0904 wrote:
Just like with Shippuden this TV broadcast is another "avoid like the plague" cause knowing 4kids, they'll give the massive edits that they give to anime every time.

4Kids doesn't have Shippuden, Viz Media does. And adding to that, the TV broadcast is TV-PG, just like Naruto was. It's hardly edited at all. So stop being an idiot and start doing your damn research before you start flailing about DBZKAI being hacked to bits.

Last edited by TsukasaElkKite on Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually surprised by how little joke posters are on ANN. I would've expected death threats, and people wanting to burn down buildings by now. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
isn't this a good news for CW4Kids...i think it is...
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Um, DBK is hardly the love letter to Toriyama you seem to think it is. They still added in some filler scenes, there is a little editing over what was shown in DBZ, and the new animation is exceedingly cheaply produced, mostly stills, and doesn't blend in with the old animation at all. Not to mention the updated soundtrack. It's fun to watch, but don't be fooled into thinking they put a lot of heart and passion into making this. This was made solely for maximum profit at a minimum cost.

And really, it's not like DBZ has never been edited before, in its original US broadcast the fist 67 episodes were edited down to 53 (which, BTW, was approved by FUNi). It's a resilient series, it can shrug off any minor edits DBZK will get.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
atunderdogk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I dont understand why people get upset over stuff like this anymore. This isn't the 90's. Back then, things were different. Because shows weren't being released like they are now, and the only way we could see them was edited and chopped and butchered. But so what if something gets edited to get on television these days? The industry has realized that if they want to sell their properties, then they'll release an unedited version for the "hardcore fans" and an edited version for their broadcast target.

Not that I'm condoning the ability to chop up anime just because, but I mean, they aren't really putting this stuff on tv for the hardcore fans. They know we've probably already seen it, and we'll more than likely be buying the dvd's. This is for people who aren't really into it or casual watchers. Primarily kids based on the channels these are airing on. If it brings the next generation of kids into anime, then awesome. If it means that anime is being aired on television again like 10 years ago, even more awesome.

People are waaay too pessimistic and apocalyptic about things that aren't really that serious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5