• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion: 2.22 Film's DVD/BD Pre-Orders Top 800,000

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Hey, at least if you were Canadian you had a choice of like 3 theatres in your city where you can see it.

If only I were joking.
_V_

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quote
An open question I have is exactly how many prints they actually made: they only showed it in something like two dozen locations in the USA, but never at the same time.

Widest release was only 6, so did they only make 6 prints and just ship them around?

Then again, it did run in 50+ locations in Canada, but that's because movies are cheaper to run there. And really, in the end, how high were ticket sales from a one-week run in Winnipeg?
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
There really hasn't been anything to match Eva, has there?
JuicyB

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
Considering these numbers, I'd be surprised if 2.0 gets a theatrical release at all in the United States. W

A major thing to notice is that its widest release was a whopping 6 movie theaters. There are movies on boxofficemojo that didn't even crack the Top 50 weekend box office that are showing in more theaters than Eva ever did. Alvin and the Chipmunks 2, which came out in 2009, is currently airing in more theaters than Eva ever did.

Cowboy Bebop got in 29 theaters. Paprika got 37. Ghost in the Shell 2 got 55. Eva was pretty much sent to die. Almost like like they didn't want people to see it.

I feel you man. I wanted to see this but the only theatre showing it in my city was a two hour drive away to an iffy side of town. Not worth the effort when I can watch it in the comfort of my own home.
_V_

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

Consider: the finale movie came out in English in 2002, the Director's Cut full DVD set in 2004. The manga adaptation's marathon 9 volume print run was in 2004.

By 2006, right before Rebuild was announced, there had been 2 years with NO Eva news, and given that it basically had a Fight Club-style ending, there was NO possibility for a continuation like a Gundam series would.

...and yet it didn't die. Its a popular series.

So if *the end of the show on a scale of years* could not reduce Eva to the history books.....the appearance of a full remake movie series will ensure its popularity well into the coming decade.

But if you think about it, the reason for these high pre-orders is obvious: the first movie had three alternate versions, while the second only has the one.

Eva 1.01 sold over a quarter of a million units in six months, but many fans were holding out for the other versions.

Now, the wait has been very long, and they announced for months "this is the only version of this we're ever making"

And of course, factor into that, that after the success of Eva 1.0, fans in Japan have now really warmed up to the idea of this new "Rebuild" thing.

Eva 1.0 was the introduction: it needed to be similar in order to hook the fans back.

Now "Eva's in the theaters, and all's right with the world. "
maribeasteva2

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote
HOORAY! Very Happy
bayoab

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
But if you think about it, the reason for these high pre-orders is obvious: the first movie had three alternate versions, while the second only has the one.

Eva 1.01 sold over a quarter of a million units in six months, but many fans were holding out for the other versions.

Except the last reported unadjusted numbers were only ~515k (575k-625k after standard adjustment estimations) across all versions of 1.x. This means that there is either a huge gap between the leaks and reality... or a lot, lot more people are ordering 2.22.
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:38 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:

Gainax didn't announce 1.11 until way after 1.01 was out and about, so that can't be it. My guess is that 2.x feels less like a "cash cow"-type thing than 1.x since it contains a lot more new story. Or it could just be that people were more "blown away" by 2.0 (possibly for the same reason) and are more eager to obtain the movie for that reason. 1.x is a rather similar experience to watching the first six episodes; 2.x doesn't really have a Neon Genesis equivalent.
Dakaran

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:06 am Reply with quote
I'm asking ANN to put online a trailer if they can of this gem to boost sales and promote the product even more. This can only help anime with a massive success over there if parts of it transfers here. Razz
holy_

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:03 am Reply with quote
Hope it sells more than MJ DVD/BD Very Happy
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:16 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

As a standalone trademark I don't think so. If we're talking meta-franchises as well then maybe. I think I remember reading that the number one best selling trademark of all time in Japan was Evangelion followed by the original Mobile Suit Gundam. As in Mobile Suit Gundam without any other entry of the Gundam franchises since they are considered seperate trademarks in the long run. If they weren't then I would say Gundam is probably more than a match since it has about 15+ years on the Eva franchise.

Last edited by Kaioshin_Sama on Tue May 04, 2010 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
_V_

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:28 am Reply with quote
Dakaran wrote:
I'm asking ANN to put online a trailer if they can of this gem to boost sales and promote the product even more. This can only help anime with a massive success over there if parts of it transfers here. Razz

Your statement is utterly silly: ANN cannot possibly do that.

Studio Khara are worried about bootlegging, and worse, "reverse-importation" -- now that Japan and the USA are in the same Blu-ray region, and the USA has cheaper Blu-ray prices, Japanese fans could simply mail-order cheaper Blu-rays.

To this end, *they intentionally did not include English subtitles of any kind in either the DVD or Blu-ray version*

How could it possibly "boost sales" when we cannot possibly buy and watch it? ANN actively spreading such news would only lead to a boost in piracy.

Indeed, the trailer they put up on their website only works for Japanese IP Addresses.

***Just search youtube, multiple people posted the trailer up there.
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote
Dakaran wrote:

YouTube has tons of trailers for it, though most of them are probably not uploaded with permission... but YouTube has always been full of rips and copies Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I have two favorite trailers for the second movie:

The first one was released quite some time ago and doesn't contain as much that'll spoil the key scenes -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIrpShbs2tU

This next one contains a lot of scenes of the Evas and just goes to show the huge amount of work that went into this movie (more spoiler-ish, watch at your own risk) -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh9bJqJ_NHY
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheZeonicFront

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:

As a standalone trademark I don't think so. If we're talking meta-franchises as well then maybe. I think I remember reading that the number one best selling trademark of all time in Japan was Evangelion followed by the original Mobile Suit Gundam. As in Mobile Suit Gundam without any other entry of the Gundam franchises since they are considered seperate trademarks in the long run. If they weren't then I would say Gundam is probably more than a match since it has about 15+ years on the Eva franchise.

Do you have a source for this? I need to use some cold hard facts to troll some Gundam fans. (pay no attention to my screen name. Eva is my first love Smile )
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote
holy_ wrote:
Hope it sells more than MJ DVD/BD Very Happy
It beat Michael Jackson on its first day, if that counts for anything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3