• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Yu-Gi-Uh-Oh

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote
Not about the card games....?

When a mook loses a children's card game, and as forfeit, has his mind destroyed... I'd say that definitely oversteps the bounds a bit.

Must I post youtube links to Yugioh The Abridged Series? Anime hyper So funny, but so true. The invisible guns bit still cracks me up...
russ869

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:49 pm Reply with quote
TheRoyalFamily wrote:
As far as the manga itself, I think it really went downhill once they introduced the card game. It was at first pretty dang cool; as in HOLY S--- DID YUGI JUST MAKE THAT GUY LIGHT HIMSELF ON FIRE AND THEN WALK AWAY LIKE IT WAS NOTHING?! Then it was about dragons and Egypt and junk.

I think the manga is actually very contiguous if you read it beginning to end. It doesn't feel nearly as fractured to me now as it did before. And what really ties the varying arcs together is the characters. The Jounouchi who strives so hard to learn what a true duelist is and whose dream is to try his skills against Yugi is the same Jounouchi who tormented wimpy Yugi at the beginning of the story. The Honda who's become so protective of Shizuka is the same guy who used to flip up girls' skirts with Jounouchi. You feel like you've come a long way with these characters. For some reason that was never an impression I got watching the anime.

And it still has plenty of crazy moments and bizzare plot twists. "Wha-? Did Kaiba just break that guy's face with a steel briefcase?!" "Huh-? Not only does Malik have Yugi and Jonouchi chained to a sinking anchor, he'll force Anzu to swallow a cynaide pill if they try to escape?!"

Those completely unique plot twists actually make the manga feel more like it's written by one person. You can see the crazy mind of Kazuki Takahashi and his attempts to bring the wiles of gekiga gambling manga to the shonen audience everywhere in the manga. The same guy who have Yugi and friends pitted against being crushed to death in a room of falling concrete blocks... Yeah, I could see him putting Yugi in a game where the loser has his legs sawed off! You might be shocked for minute when it's revealed that the Battle City tournament is moving into the sky aboard a blimp, but then you remember that this is the same writer whose previous ideas include having one of Yugi's classmates turning out to be a teenage billionaire with unlimited resources and a serious death grudge.

None of the other Yu-Gi-Oh! spinoffs have been any good in my opinion. But that's because they were made in the same spirit as the TV series: just keep it going so we can keep making money more obscure cards. In other words the story and characters were completely secondary.

John Casey wrote:
Must I post youtube links to Yugioh The Abridged Series?

As expected the reviewer couldn't make it through one whole review without at least some mention to that damn thing. ARG!
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
I mean, I know no one wants to be a one hit wonder, but it's gonna happen, and sadly for Takaya, I think she is a one hit wonder manga artist. Fruits Basket was good, but her other manga, including Songs to Make You Smile, aren't as good.

The Japanese seem to think otherwise. Volume 8 of her latest comic Hoshi wa Uta, made the best seller list for this week, and each past volume has also made it too, sometimes breaking into the top 10. Hoshi wa Uta seems to be doing rather well for her, and since it's a best seller I think it cancels out the one hit wonder title for her. Though success in Japan doesn't always translate as success in American sales, so only time will tell.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:52 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
How did Yugioh get to be as popular as it was....or, still is?

I mean...both Pokemon and Magic utterly dwarf Yugioh in terms of card mechanics and tactics. Not to mention originality... The character designs are beyond horrendous - my five year old nephew once caught an ad on TV, and even told me himself it's ugly. Five-years old. And the story is...ueh...um... I've got nothing to say on the matter?

And as far as kids' anime goes, I mean....there's Digimon, right? Which is like a thousand times better as I remember when I used to watch it.

How did a show as irredeemable as Yugioh get to be such a huge hit? Confused I know it can't be all in the marketing... Cause I've seen crap whored a lot more, and more so effectively, without a single product selling. What gives.

Well the designs actually improved in my view when GX came around and especially when the 5D's design came in. and though I am a diehard pokemaniac , it's slowing down and fast and people did like GX.

Either way . I didn't like the rating one bit. Come on . A D?

To me Vol 5 made the series worhtwile. and definately better than Duelist and the original. I give it a B at least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote
So, for all the real Yu-Gi-Oh fans here (love the abridgement, never seen the show or read the manga): what was the story about before card games became the focus? When/how did the Egyptian stuff come in? And how did it end? (Assuming it *did* end, shonen manga doesn't always end. But if I were an ancient Egyptian Pharoh, there's no way I'd stay locked up in a puny Japanese kid's body as he goes through puberty...)

The main problem for Natsuki Takaya, or rather, for Tokyopop, is that they're only releasing the stuff she did *before* she started Fruits Basket. Through the 23 volumes of FB, she really developed her skills as a mangaka (not that I think FB ended on a better note than it began on, but that's a personal perferance). Where is Hoshi no Uta?! I want to see what Takaya is up to now, not stuff she did before!

2 manhwa reviews in one Right Turn Only? Yay! Can I make a request for CMX reviews? It'll help with the mourning process. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2