• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Pirate Jeans for Sale in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Shoulda been way more subtle imo. The ass of the jeans says something about being a pirate king. They can take their ass pirates and shove it where the sun don't shine.

nynextew wrote:
Jrittmayer wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
I think they're missing at least three more sizes for the average One Piece fan.

pwned.
Then again we're not talknig about AMERICAN One Piece fans are we?

It's so sad that Americans are first to be generalized as fat slobs. Surprised

Isn't there firm evidence that like 50% of the country is obese?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Shoulda been way more subtle imo. The ass of the jeans says something about being a pirate king. They can take their ass pirates and shove it where the sun don't shine.

nynextew wrote:
Jrittmayer wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
I think they're missing at least three more sizes for the average One Piece fan.

pwned.

It's so sad that Americans are first to be generalized as fat slobs. Surprised

Isn't there firm evidence that like 50% of the country is obese?

I believe the stats are more like 26% for the US and 22% for the UK. More likely, an overweight percentage is about 50+, but not obesity. Also, I always feel a bit iffy on some stats, at least for being overweight. I know some of them evaluate based on bone structure and such, but sometimes I worry other groups don't.

In conclusion: the stereotype of "fat America" is true to an extent, but the obesity rates don't differ incredibly with the UK. Also consider the following British source is from 2006, while the American one is from 2008. Both will have changed by now. More than anything, it's just a stereotype.

Source:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/4667826.stm
http://web.archive.org/web/20060206185213/www.naaso.org/statistics/obesity_trends.asp (this one says about 59 million people, which would probably be about 26% at the time it was taken, or at least above 20%).
Jazzmin-anime

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Wow!! doubt we're gonna see this stuff in america stores but it would be nice!!! I'd buy a pair!!!! Though no one would really know its from an anime unless they already know of it! They'd just think your wierd....
Redlinks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. Butt-Text. Do not want. ><
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:

Indeed. Even Black Butler had that 3XL sized T-shirt (which is enough to create a flag and adorn the whole front of my house).
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Haha, that's pretty good. It's a lot to have written on your butt though...
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:16 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
While I think the concept of One Piece jeans is cute; I can't get behind (haha) pants with writing on the ass.

You don't have to get behind them. You have to get in front of them (well, in front of half of them anyway - but the writing would still be behind you).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Jazzmin-anime wrote:
Wow!! doubt we're gonna see this stuff in america stores but it would be nice!!! I'd buy a pair!!!! Though no one would really know its from an anime unless they already know of it! They'd just think your wierd....

I've seen American jeans with butt-texts (haha, get it?) before, so it's already out there. Laughing
kryten2x4p

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to get my hands on a pair actually. The only thing is they are priced at £148GBP or $220USD at current exchange rates. You'd expect them to last a lifetime at that price. Its a shame i'm unemployed at the moment. At least I'm not obese. BTW It's probably every American's constitutionally given right to be obese!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote
kryten2x4p, I must inform you that in virtue of certain facts to which we must concede, your exclamation does us few favours.

Matters of the exchange rate, inter alia, will always render this sort of acquisition off-limits to the majority of local fans. The occasional item at Uniqlo aside, it is usually cheaper to customise garments personally. The technology exists.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ranma87

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure if they release them stateside they will need alot of 3-5xl.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
nynextew wrote:
Jrittmayer wrote:
prime_pm wrote:

pwned.

It's so sad that Americans are first to be generalized as fat slobs. :o

Even though I live in the USA and eat healthy, Americans aren't slim as they should be. That is a whole other topic though and I am sure not going into it.

Like discussing dating sims, mere banter won't really open conversation. Detail is needed.

And even though One Piece is my one number favorite show, there is no way ever I'd wear pants like that. That is how misunderstandings happen and let me tell everyone, misunderstandings can be utterly disastrous.
Ranma87

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
*pulls up to drive up window*

I'll have an extra large chocolate milkshake, triple cheeseburger and a large fry.

*several hours later*

No my pants won't button... where did I go wrong!?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Ranma87 wrote:
*pulls up to drive up window*

I'll have an extra large chocolate milkshake, triple cheeseburger and a large fry.

*several hours later*

No my pants won't button... where did I go wrong!?

Nice, but you forgot the Jack Danniel's that was consumed earlier and the pack of cigarettes that were smoked earlier as well.

Sadly, this situation actually does occur and probably more often than not.

Granted not all Americans fit the sterotype (which obviously won't ever happen) more than half of United states citizens are over weight. However, I am not saying that to be mean, but to cite facts I remember while reading a health related text recently.

I have even heard the next generation may not be able to outlive the generation before them (meaning their parents.)

As much as unhealthy eating is bad, the fact that most of that 50% is sedentary is much, much worse. Now if these people vigirously worked out for about an hour or more a day, more than likely people would live longer and be healthier.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:50 pm Reply with quote
The text in the back looks awful. Pity because without them they would be a very nice pair of pants.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3