• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Alice in the Country of Ninjas

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:01 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Aw darn, I looked up some other reviews of After School Nightmare and it sounds pretty cool but since Go Comi is out of print I'm a little worried about hunting all the books down.

I think you can find them quite easily. Looks like amazon still has all of them in stock and it's not such a big seller. And it's definitely a series worth hunting down.
mogiks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:00 am Reply with quote
I'm going to be nitpicky and point out that X-Day's original Japanese title is not "shounen-tachi no X-Day" but "kanojo-tachi no X-Day".

I have to say I was quite a big fan of ASN, I was starting to doubt it midway through and the protagonist can be kind of annoying but it's very meaningful and I liked the ending. It's the kind of manga where you want to read it again, and every time you do you keep noticing new things and new symbolism.
konkonsn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:33 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
@Vash: yeah, I thought of that, too. But I remember when the movie "Boys Don't Cry" came out. It's based on a true (and very tragic) story of a young transgender female-to-male individual, who ran away from home and managed to convince almost everyone that (s)he was biologically male, including a girlfriend, even after (or despite the fact that) they had sex.

A lot of people were baffled as to how the girlfriend couldn't figure out the biological gender of her boyfriend, even after they had sex, but it happened. (Disclaimer: I never saw the movie, I just remember the discussions about it).

If I'm squicking anyone out, let me know! Wink

I'm thinking with Boys Don't Cry, the FtM transgender might have convinced his partner by saying he had a small penis. This actually happened in another incident with a FtM transgender who married a woman.

In After School Nightmare, however, I think it was psychological. Main character says, "I'm a guy," so, ok, you're a guy. And even if we have sex in a non-traditional fashion, you're still a guy.

ASN bothered me just because I was like, "Be both! Screw the sex binary!" Lol. But I know that's a very progressive train of thought that most manga artists won't follow. I was also thinking it would've made more sense if the main character had male genitalia with breasts because female genitalia with a flat chest...it seemed to me that a lot of the conflict could've been solved by realizing there are very flat women in the world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2