• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Salary Cap

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poonk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Quote:
I don't dislike yaoi, but the protagonist looked really young and had basically been sold into prostitution and was coming down with Stockholm Syndrome… so no. A world of "no".
I've never seen a frame of a yaoi anime in my life...but isn't that the plot of every one ever created?
Believe it or not, no. There's plenty of BL that's not (or not as) non-con oriented as Okane ga Nai (No Money). I'm personally okay with some non-con elements as long as the title doesn't wallow in it (ViewFinder fan here, though VF quickly got past it and Yamane explained why it started out like that) but OgN seemed exceptional for how "cute" the tone was trying to be. And my other complaint about OgN-- the uke is exceptionally tiny/fragile/"girly" looking compared to every other guy. It's a giant turn-off. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they just wanted to see anything BL and had already seen everything else available. Yeah, not one of my favorites, if it's not obvious. Although to the mangaka's credit, she did acknowledge the (disasterous, imo) beginning with an humorous omaki in which spoiler[the seme tries to go back in time and stop his past self from starting off the relationship that way.] Nothing saves that art, though.

P.S. I was initially interested in Uraboku until I heard the whole bit about "Character X being Character Y's reincarnated female lover." I find that kind of plot twist grating. It's like they want to have a m-m romance on the surface but insist on tinkering with it so that it's not really gay (because X has a "female soul" or whatever. Bleh.). Probably the same reason (some) yuri fans turn their noses up at the cross-dressing boy/sex-change plots.

Last edited by poonk on Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Erin is sanitized from the whole "kids dying" in anime and Cross Game was no different. Personally, anime plays that card way too much.

I've seen six episodes of Cross Game and it was a bit too slow for my tastes (coming from the guy that loves Kamichu!). It's nowhere near bad and I will pick it back up, but that first episode was sort of just....another thing that happens!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Non-con...I'm assuming that's an abbreviated form of "non-consensual"? I'm not trying to be cute here, but what is the difference between "non-con" and rape?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Non-con...I'm assuming that's an abbreviated form of "non-consensual"? I'm not trying to be cute here, but what is the difference between "non-con" and rape?

"Non-con" is surprise sex you didn't know you wanted!

i.e. rape, only everyone is somehow happy afterward....

Quote:
I fell asleep during the first episode of Cross Game, so that was out (I might give it a second chance later)

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only person who was utterly unimpressed by the first episode of that. I did manage to make it to the utterly predictable and maudlin ending (spoiler[oh look! cute little girl! shares all her dreams and aspirations! now she's conveniently dead! cry! cry, damn you, cry! not crying yet? let's have her head floating behind the credits while sad music plays!]) and I've yet to hear a thing about it that makes me want to watch episode 2.

I need to find this salaryman show, though, it sounds fun. Did you get this via Netflix or something?
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I may be incorrect but the difference as I see it is with non-consensual, the character actually does want to consent but isn't because of something like societal rules or a self-image that just does not include being in a sexual relationship with the other character.

An example could be something like a guy raised in such a way that he simply doesn't believe he could be gay. He feels something for the other man but absolutely refuses to accept it could be sexual attraction/love. The other man "pushes" the issue so speak, resulting in the reluctant party going from trying to push him away to holding him tight.

Hetero example: Scarlet O'Hara and Rhett Butler at some point in Gone with the Wind. She acts pretty unwilling but at least in the movie (I haven't read the book) looks like a cat that act the goldfish the next day.

Rape, of course, is full on unwanted. Generally nothing was there to begin with and the result of any forced affection is revulsion, psychological damage, depression or some other negative effect. (Assuming the writer doesn't have a bit of a fetish for it or think rape is love.)

Decendents of Darkness has been mentioned and Hisoka's got a rape experience. He's pretty traumatized.

That's my take on the concepts at least.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I didn't like about Kintaro is he seemed to look the other way on spoiler[one of his fellow gang-members raping(assaulting?) his future wife], but maybe he figured the guy was remorseful enough, even though he should've at least reported it. I might be willing to give Kin-san a pass because of his upbringing and his genuine devotion to her, but it depends on where the rest of the series heads. Of course, I'll never know, because there's no chance in hell Viz will bring over the manga unless there's suddenly a new demand for "working world" stories here. Overall, though, as someone who's worked in private and government offices, I can totally relate to the atmosphere. The movie sucks, though, because they tried to cram too many of the side-stories into a limited running time, and it drags. The staff for the anime claim the dorama sucked, too, so at least I don't have to bother with it. But I would like to see the manga get a chance one day, assuming it won't come off even more dated by the current changes in international business models.

Tatsu: Kintaro's not really about economics, but about office politics. Think of Ice Cube before and after Barbershop, and that's basically the kind of experience Kintaro goes through dealing with more adult responsibilities. Laughing
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kintaro is like the Kenshiro version of Division Chief Kosaku Shima, but only me and a dozen other nerds get that joke

Well, quotes from Shima did show up in Japanese the Manga Way, I think taken from Mangajin. But it's not the kind of manga that any of the US localizers wouild consider bringing over now. Maybe things would have been different in the days when the Japanese economy seemed invincible.

Last edited by DavidShallcross on Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Thanks vashfanatic and Richard J. Between the two of you, I think I understand the nuance between non-con and rape now. Learn something new everyday...
Raikuro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
If it's ever streaming or re-released I'm sure I'll end up watching it.

http://www.youtube.com/show?p=i6Iuiz7TVxI&feature=fvsp

There ya go!
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
You liked Gravitation but not Descendants of Darkness? That's...kinda bizarre. I've never met anyone who said that before. Care to explain why? Just curious, not judging here.

Even I am baffeled by that. I liked gravitation too but DOD and Cress is by far better. I would understand since DOD in a way feels like a manga promotion just like the Bastard!!! & Angel Sanctuary OVAs were,but it's by far much better than gravitation. espeically it's dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This really isn't a bad show, and if it were a DVD it would be Rental Shelf

Ok now this confuses me. See you say this but then rate it not even as perishable but FLUSHABLE. So that's obviously below perishable right? So how in the world does it become flushable given what you said just a few paragraphs earlier in that same review? Now you did say it "falls into a category of shows I'm not overly fond of" but still. I find it a bit perplexing and confusing how a show you say isn't really a bad show winds up in a category even further down then perishable. Unless it's simply because it falls into a theme you don't like, but rhat wouldn't be very fair to the show if that's the case.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Quote:

Ok now this confuses me. See you say this but then rate it not even as perishable but FLUSHABLE. So that's obviously below perishable right?

No, there are only two categories for streaming anime: stream-worthy and flushable.

It doesn't have any bearing on the ratings for DVDs.
Brand

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I love me the yaoi but I also hates some No Money. God that shit was terrible. I tried reading the manga and you could tell the mangaka was having a hard time with the material (it was adapted from a light novel). I think I read like two chapters and gave up. I still see a lot of fans for this series, I'm thinking they like how "cute" the protagonist is, but that made it all the more painful. Ugh...

I will have to check out Salaryman Kintaro at some point, I love stories about delinquents and reformed delinquents.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
Quote:

Ok now this confuses me. See you say this but then rate it not even as perishable but FLUSHABLE. So that's obviously below perishable right?

No, there are only two categories for streaming anime: stream-worthy and flushable.

It doesn't have any bearing on the ratings for DVDs.

Ah well that explains that. Never mind then. Just a case of me being confused and senile. Carry on.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Well, quotes from Shima did show up in Japanese the Manga Way, I think taken from Mangajin. But it's not the kind of manga that any of the US localizers wouild consider bringing over now. Maybe things would have been different in the days when the Japanese economy seemed invincible.

I have a Kodansha bilingual edition of one volume of Shima. There are a handful of volumes around.

Raikuro wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:
If it's ever streaming or re-released I'm sure I'll end up watching it.

http://www.youtube.com/show?p=i6Iuiz7TVxI&feature=fvsp
There ya go!

Shocked

vashfanatic wrote:
"Non-con" is surprise sex you didn't know you wanted!

Shocked Shocked

vashfanatic wrote:
I need to find this salaryman show, though, it sounds fun. Did you get this via Netflix or something?

I used Rentanime.com

Psycho 101 wrote:

I'm going to explain with a diagram:
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6