• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Ship All of Read or Die on BD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:27 am Reply with quote
I already own both the OAV and TV series on DVD when Manga Entertainment and Geneon each had them. But glad to see recent anime fans at least have a chance to snag the series (if they have Blu-Ray).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
johnmora

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:55 am Reply with quote
Too bad I don't like the TV series. Fans of the OVA and only that are kinda SOL when it comes to Blu-Ray, I guess.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:16 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
I'm pretty sure they're gonna get stupid about this, and price it somewhere between $80-100....

=.=

I'd gladly pay that compared to what they charged for the Japanese release. I don't know it off hand but I imagine it was well over 250 dollars.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:38 am Reply with quote
Only on Blu-ray? No DVD? Rats. Confused

I have (and love) the OVAs, but I missed the boat with the TV series. I'd really wanted to see that someday...
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:43 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Kalessin wrote:
Woohoo! More Blu-ray goodness. Of course, this leaves the question as to whether it's an upscale or not, but I'll be getting it regardless (if nothing else, then at least it's on the new format - though of course it will be better if it's actually native HD). This is the sort of show that I wouldn't have expected to ever get on Blu-ray, so this is fantastic news.

Both the OVA and TV series are upscales. They're respectively 9 and 6 years old, long before HD was anything common. The only shows that old I know of that were done in HD are 12 Kingdoms and GitS SAC. Anyhow, there's nothing wrong with the upscale on the Japanese BD box set release, and the Aniplex US release is going to use the same disc count, so I'm going to assume this will be almost the same encode with English subs and menus slapped on (English audio is already there). But anyone expecting some super HD experience out of this will be disappointed. The OVA in particular suffers a bit, even if the animation itself is good.

I'll be buying this. I skipped buying the JP BD box, and it's over $300. However high Aniplex may price this box by US standards, it'll be a bargain compared to that.

A lot of people don't realize the original masters of most products are in higher quality than TV/DVD and are usually downgraded to standard HD for a lot of old movies on cable now days.

Of course I can't say i know for sure about anime but it's always a possibility, but i doubt it.

the fact that it's all one boxset though, is awesome. if the price is right. one of the most unique anime with great character development and story. been wanting to buy it since 2004
rabrek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
Koji98 wrote:
Whoomp wrote:
Here's for hoping they won't just sell them through the Bandai store making it impossible for people like (non American residents) me to buy it. Like the Gurren Lagann movies, "thanks" for that Aniplex.

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/dcgU1rDsocl5DJb3LX/browse/item/88846/4/0/0
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/dcgU1rDsocl5DJb3LX/browse/item/88847/4/0/0
IIRC RightStuf does international shipping.

Thanks for this. Last I'd heard, these were only going to be available from Aniplex at the Bandai site, and I took the DVDs off my watch list. Hmm.

Last edited by rabrek on Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote
But I dont have a blue ray and dont plan on getting on any time soon I hope they all so release it on dvd to
Wag

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Good news. This is one of my favorite series. The PQ of the Asian release isn't all that hot and it looks like there's a case of overused DNR. I really hope they resolve that and use lossless audio for both language tracks.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Where'd you get that? There's no sign of DNR in the JP release.
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
A lot of people don't realize the original masters of most products are in higher quality than TV/DVD and are usually downgraded to standard HD for a lot of old movies on cable now days.
Only even close to true for shows that were produced with cels rather than digipaint, and only then if a new digital master is scanned from the original film. This is not the case with either the OVA nor the TV series, which are both digipaint.

As for things being 'downgraded' to standard HD, this is VERY rarely the case. Only if the original film were to be rescanned at 4k (2k, for all intents and purposes, is the same as 1080p24) would any downscaling take place, and I know of no anime that has been remastered at this resolution, ever. It's pretty much reserved for big budget Hollywood productions intended for distribution to digital cinemas.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:

As for things being 'downgraded' to standard HD, this is VERY rarely the case. Only if the original film were to be rescanned at 4k (2k, for all intents and purposes, is the same as 1080p24) would any downscaling take place, and I know of no anime that has been remastered at this resolution, ever. It's pretty much reserved for big budget Hollywood productions intended for distribution to digital cinemas.

Nausicaa was scanned at 6k, which is overkill, but I won't argue with the results. Very few anime films will ever get that treatment.

Last edited by hissatsu01 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Not too thrilled with it being an upscale, but I would far and away want the OVA over the TV series on BD. There's no way I'd want the latter, which I despised, also, even if the entire collection was at a good, low price. If it were offered alone and the quality was noticibly better than the DVD's, I would consider buying it. Still, must be great news for fans of both.

On another note, I thought Manga still had the OVA, unless the license very recently expired or Aniplex just has the BD rights (and Manga still has the DVD rights).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DFBTG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Yes! I've been wanting to buy this for so long, but since the DVDs have cost more than I'm willing to buy, I've been holding out. And now I can get the whole series and OVA in a BD boxset? Amazing. Being cheap (and therefore patient...in a sense) is a virtue in some way, I guess.
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Nausicaa was scanned at 6k, which is overkill, but I won't argue with the results. Very few anime films will ever get that treatment.
Do you have a source for that? My first though was "hey, Disney have piles of cash, maybe they splashed some Ghibli's way". but I couldn't find anything indicating it was scanned above 2k. I had a look through the tiny little guide book that came with the BD, but there didn't seem to be any mention of the remastering process.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:36 pm Reply with quote
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20100527_369870.html

Search for スキャン解像度は6K

I doubt Disney had anything to do with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3