• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chinese State TV Uses Detective Conan Anime to Criticize Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guildmaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure some politburo underling is reading this and they'll go suitably apeshit soon enough. Cool
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:

And, of course, the US isn't happy unless we've got someone from the Kennedy clan ensconced somewhere in the Federal Government.

Did you time travel here somehow?
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Pot meet Kettle.
Corruption exists everywhere and no country can blame the other without revealing the skeletons in their own closet.

Using a cartoon (I'm highly confident that they didn't seek permission from either Gosho Aoyama or TMS Entertainment) to further their message from the country they are criticizing only weakens their argument.

DerekTheRed wrote:
mgosdin wrote:
And, of course, the US isn't happy unless we've got someone from the Kennedy clan ensconced somewhere in the Federal Government.

:/ I can't think of any Kennedys serving in government. I can think of a couple who are activists...

Joesph P. Kennedy III won the congressional seat left by US Representative Barney Frank (D) back in November.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Lawl Chinese propagandist accusing others of corruption and nepotism.

Japan may well have the will to confront China, but the SDF is in no shape for a war (not to mention how nervous any changes to the SDF makes Korea), and the US (and almost every other player in the region) is completely out of political will to do anything about China, from currency to law of the sea issues to Tibet. The only thing there seems to be much will for in the US, when it comes to China, is for keeping the internet out of the UN hands.

All this nationalistic chest beating will die down, just like it did in the US when the two candidates tried to out do each other with tough talk on China. Yeah people love to hear that we are are going to call China a currency cheat, but they aren't willing to deal with the consequences of actually facing down the Dragon, because society is still burnt the hell out from the Cold War and can't handle the constant threat of total destruction.

The only thing sadder then all that is the cliche reaction by the Chinese propaganda machine. Yawn, at least there not as bad as the North Korea propagandist and their revolutionary vaginas.

http://scott.jarkoff.com/post/14477552097/kim-jong-il-patriotic-and-revolutionary-vagina
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how many Chinese bashers in this thread knew the power struggle between Communist Youth League of China (Chinese version of Komsomol) and the "Princelings," or would spend time -- or even capable of -- reading the replies below the news video:

"At least one can criticize nepotism in Japan."

"Goddammit...... are you describing yourself?"

"Using others' intellectual property to criticize the author? Shame on you."

"A slap on [CCTV]'s own face."

"At least [Japanese politicians] were elected."

"Pots and kettles."

"Howdy, director of CCTV news, don't you know Haibara is always being sarcastic? Furthermore, are you trying to embarrass the new President [Xi]?"

"Your IP address has been located."

"Wow, CCTV sure have some balls."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
SamCurt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Detective Conan is not banned in China at all (its movies were legally screened there).

OTOH, I would also need to remind that there's the saying, "there isn't a [PR] Chinese born in the 1990s that haven't watched Conan."

(Yet, I'm feeling uneasy over this for some other reason--where will Hiroki be put to?)
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

Joesph P. Kennedy III won the congressional seat left by US Representative Barney Frank (D) back in November.

Yeah, I know, it just seems so bizarrely anachronistic to be complaining about the Kennedys in 2012.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote
guildmaster wrote:
I'm sure some politburo underling is reading this and they'll go suitably apeshit soon enough. Cool

Well here's hoping they don't send 50 cent party bombarding this thread by denying corruption within the CCP and called us Japanese collborators and pro-Japanese thugs.

Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Pot meet Kettle.
Corruption exists everywhere and no country can blame the other without revealing the skeletons in their own closet.

Yeah and I find that hypocritical, but then again, this is the same country and regime that cover up any embarassing scandals and massacre that include Tianammen Square.

dormcat wrote:
I wonder how many Chinese bashers in this thread knew the power struggle between Communist Youth League of China (Chinese version of Komsomol) and the "Princelings," or would spend time -- or even capable of -- reading the replies below the news video:

"At least one can criticize nepotism in Japan."

"Goddammit...... are you describing yourself?"

"Using others' intellectual property to criticize the author? Shame on you."

"A slap on [CCTV]'s own face."

"At least [Japanese politicians] were elected."

"Pots and kettles."

"Howdy, director of CCTV news, don't you know Haibara is always being sarcastic? Furthermore, are you trying to embarrass the new President [Xi]?"

"Your IP address has been located."

"Wow, CCTV sure have some balls."

I'm one of the many critics of CCP's human right violations (Yes I'm aware of the faction infighting and the 'princelings'). Nice to see the netizen in China are also attacking the regime for this hypocrisy not only us. Very Happy Dormcat beside that channel, do you watch NTDTV or read the Epoch Times because those 2 US-based media are also critical of the Mainland regime. Also, NTDTV was the one that reported on SARS 3 weeks before state run media and international news reported on SARS outbreak. Also I believe NTDTV and Epoch Times were the one that reported on the Bo-Xillai and Wang Lijinn incident/scandal even before the mainstream media reported on it. You might want to thank The Epoch Time for promoting Tuidang or quit the party.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I find quite more ironical the fact they broadcasted V from Vendetta uncut.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

Yeah, I know, it just seems so bizarrely anachronistic to be complaining about the Kennedys in 2012.

would you be any less inclined to say that about the bush family. they are pretty much on the same level as the bush family.

I'm surprised that they didn't show the scene when noah does his monologue once all the kids are in the pods.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:

Yeah, though Ai has a point. Laughing

Also, the # of women elected went down further 3 points to only 8% of the lower house. So chances are the only way girls like her would ever get elected is if they inherited the offices from their fathers. Is that irony too?
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Well, it was an anti-Bush movie. Not as hilarious as the fact that the Fascists had a movie of We The Living made without realizing that it didn't draw lines between them and their Communist brethren.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Dormcat beside that channel, do you watch NTDTV or read the Epoch Times because those 2 US-based media are also critical of the Mainland regime.

I don't live in US and I don't watch/read media operated by religious groups/cults.

mdo7 wrote:
You might want to thank The Epoch Time for promoting Tuidang or quit the party.

Thank them? For what?

Allow me to paraphrase with the second ED theme of K-ON!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Dormcat beside that channel, do you watch NTDTV or read the Epoch Times because those 2 US-based media are also critical of the Mainland regime.

I don't live in US and I don't watch/read media operated by religious groups/cults.

mdo7 wrote:
You might want to thank The Epoch Time for promoting Tuidang or quit the party.

Thank them? For what?

Allow me to paraphrase with the second ED theme of K-ON!!

Although Falun Gong may be the one operating NTDTV, but they were the one that reveal the Wang Lijun/Bo Xilai scandal like a few weeks before the mainstream news (CNN, NBC, CBS News reveal that scandal). I also don't think they're lying about quit the party because I'm seeing more and more incidents and scandals that make people lose faith in the CCP.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:

I think Hell just froze over.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3