• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio Ghibli to Announce New Work on December 15

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Oh great. Another cute & fluffy or happy-go-lucky movie. Why can't there be another kickass anime movie like Akira, GITS, Steamboy, Metropolis or Golgo 13. They're much better than anything Ghibli's done.

Wow, this is the first post of the thread? Whining? Great way to start out.
palegolas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:50 am Reply with quote
rwarwick wrote:
Did anyone see this Earthsea thing? How was it? I didn't get a chance to since it played for like, a day Rolling Eyes

As for the actual article we're supposed to be discussing, I'm eagerly awaiting the chance to eagerly await the creation of a film.

I've seen Earthsea. Let's be fair. Just pulling together directing a feature animation requires a LOT of skill, dedication, endurance, overview etc. I think that not so many people can actually make it through til the end - at all. Goro Miyazaki did it, and we should all give him the creds he deserves for debuting as an animation feature director with this movie.
That said, I think it clearly bears the mark of a debuting director. To me, the story is somewhat vague, and I think he's fallen in love with a lot of scenes, while losing track of story telling. It's a beautifully crafted film, clearly Studio Ghibli work, but it lacks that captivating driving story. These things are hard to understand while deep in development, and I think the only medicine is hard work, practice, fail, and try again with a new film.

Overall, I'd say Goro Miyazaki has potential to become great, and he could be in it for the long run, if he wants to, and if he's open to learn.
He should be proud of his debute, his progress, and not compare himself to his father.

---

I've been searching the whole internet today for the 15. december 2010 announcement. Nothing so far, hehe.. Eagerly awaiting..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2