• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Connecticut Group Collects 'Violent' Games, Discs to Destroy Them

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:58 am Reply with quote
It's the same old nonsense of publicity-seeking idiots blaming everything they consider to be wrong with society on something popular they don't understand.
If it wasn't games it would be films, books, heavy metal, The Beatles, or the devil, any of things that morons have blamed everything on in the past.
There was probably some caveman who blamed the invention of the wheel for everything he found wrong with society.

It's scapegoating, pure and simple.
Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:35 am Reply with quote
This might not be the answer, but I think the citizens of Connecticut are still reeling from the Sandy Hook massacre, so I wouldn't be too hard on them. It's going to take them a long time to get over what happened, and it still hasn't even been a full month yet. There's obviously also the gun control issue, but the country is extremely and deeply divided over that.

What I do think everyone can agree on is that we let mentally ill people slip through the cracks at our own peril. Several recent horrific incidents on the subways here in New York are further proof that we pay when there are not mechanisms in place to get them identified and properly treated before these tragedies occur. That means possibly long term treatment and follow up if it's necessary to routinely determine if their medications need to be adjusted.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"We're not saying the use of video games causes people to become murderers, but there's evidence that it causes increases in aggressiveness, fear, anxiety and desensitization about actions of violence."

orly? Doom Creator: Games Are Cathartic, Reduce Aggression and Violence

I'll give them credit for not being forceful, but this whole thing is misguided. Trying to suppress thoughts and non-physical expressions of violence just makes it worse.

@Kelly
Incarcerating someone identified as "mentally ill" or forcibly committing someone is just plain bad. There's no objective measurement that is of any predictive use and many people with a variety of life issues would be unjustly targeted, and many people who seem fine but "snap" later on due to event or circumstances would still not be caught.

You can never actually prevent crime. Someone with an intention to murder or go on a shooting spree is going to do it. The only thing you can do is to mitigate the damage. This is why designating areas like schools (or theaters) as gun-free zones is a bad idea. After all, they're gun-free zones, yet somehow, someone with a gun managed to get in anyways.
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:08 am Reply with quote
Can we just ban reality, the physics suck, the consequences of failure are to harsh, I still haven't figured out the dialogue options to get the girl, to many of the other players are jerks and are into PvP, to many weapon options, and leveling up at work is hard.

This reality Beta blows when is The reality patch coming out.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:51 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Fiction/entertainment reflects reality. Have a violent society? You'll have violent media. It's not the other way around.

Burn all the DVDs and games you want, folks. It might make you feel better in the moment, but it's not going to make society any less bloodthirsty.

By the way, burning what you don't like? Pretty violent.

^ This, 120% This!

But hey as others have said, when your not a big enough man to blame yourself or your society, blame fictitious media. *sigh*
ssgOverlord

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:01 am Reply with quote
Destruction is the best form of nonviolence...
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote
This is never going to work because it still won't prevent the young ones from acting violent. Destroying video games isn't going to do anything and instead is going to get worse from there.

Why don't these people ever check the video games and play them themselves? There people are looking for something to blame when they should have just take a look at themselves and ask of what they've done wrong when their children did something bad and instead of taking responsibility, they blame it on the media for their troubles. Class act of not taking responsibility there.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:29 am Reply with quote
Haha I can get rid of old crap that is worth less than a dollar now and get restaurants tickets? Im in wooooot~
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:04 am Reply with quote
Sigh, this reminds me of Arabs burning flags they don't like.

This isn't going to change anything and it proves that they're the aggressive ones.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Each person who gives such a title to the group "Southington SOS" will receive a gift certificate to a local restaurant or bowling alley, and then the group will destroy the collected titles.

So...
Rather than vent out the teenager's frustration via killing a zombie or an artificial battlefield, you want them to stuff their faces with food and play the world's most boring sport of all time? (I rather play golf.)

Why not just give them a coloring book and Lego's while you're at it?
At least, they can find their "inner artist" or "architect" or something.

Destroying a specific media doesn't do anything for a person's psyche. It won't prevent people from feeling depress, anger, or destructive. It won't prevent another tragedy. It's nothing more than a coping mechanism for people who don't know what else to do.

If anything, it's unhealthy to repress or demonize anything because you just end up avoiding the bigger picture. Concentrating anger on something as wasteful as this means wasting time that could be spent on talking with your children about the situation at hand.
Yes, a tragedy has occurred. Now, is the time to face it like adults and grow closer as a community.

Video game, book, film, or any media burning accomplishes nothing and only encourages unneeded paranoia. That's all I have to say.
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:21 am Reply with quote
I'm wondering how good these gift certificates are.
Hopefully they aren't those

save 10% when you spent $500.

Because yeah. That helps. -_-
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:23 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Sounds like a good way to dispose of your old crap and get more out it than GameStop would offer.

Unless the group in question ascertains the market price of each donated game in order to provide a certificate of a roughly equal value, this scheme could indeed be used for financial gain. One would expect that second-hand titles of the required sort can be obtained for less than the cost of a typical restaurant discount voucher.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:36 am Reply with quote
I wonder if they will be checking it to be sure. Take out the game and replace it with a Barbie or pet game inside. Or also replace it with a blank/pirated copy of something, or have a legitimate looking sticker on top the CD to make it seem like the real one, and there you have it. Still keep the game, get free stuff. And I really do wonder in the future. Like six months from now, they'll just re-buy the game or get the latest hot new violent one in the market to please their child.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote
As long as it is voluntary, then they can waste their time doing this if they want. It won't really change anything, but it I guess it makes them feel better, like they're "doing something" to "stop the violence."

Totally miguided and useless, but it's a free country.
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote
My experience as a parent is that young people spend a fair amount of time in play blowing things up, shooting things, arranging accidents and so on in no small part as an attempt to try to understand why the heck these things happen in the real world and what it feels like to get caught up in these things. It seems to me like the battles in games are a way to let people at least pretend that they can be in control of situations that in reality would be disastrous.

The media zoom in on every bad thing that happens anywhere in the world. It's a wonder we aren't all afraid to walk outside without a huge gunblade in our hands or magic at our fingertips. (I'll take the latter, please.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5