• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fractale (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Certainly a mesmerizing opening.

But besides that, this was really amazing. The art style reminds me of Laputa: Castle In The Sky, it's really detailed and reminds me of what I consider classic anime art style.

I don't know if it's just me but I get a vibe that this is about a dystopian society. I'm getting the feeling that Fractale is a delusional space of some sort.

Anyways, onto Episode 1:

I found the start very nice and strange (especially with the form of the characters.) I'm really liking the characters, and the story unraveling itself at this point just keeps getting my attention. The 'funny' scenes at first weren't exactly funny, but after it continued, I laughed. This was a great first episode.

EDIT:

Fractale is also being streamed on:
FUNimation's YouTube Channel

www.youtube.com/FUNimation

And [url]Hulu.com[/url]

Last edited by EmbraceMe on Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
But besides that, this was really amazing. The art style reminds me of Laputa: Castle In The Sky, it's really detailed and reminds me of what I consider classic anime art style.

I was thinking Castle in the Sky the whole time as well, heh. Aside from being a Noitamina show, I didn't really have any expectations for this show, and the 1st episode was a wonderful surprise. Here's to hoping that it turns out a fun, warming adventure that will leave us satisfied and glad we went along for the ride, much like, again, Castle in the Sky Wink .
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Definitely got the Miyazaki/Castle in the Sky vibe like everyone else did, and Castle in the Sky is one of my favorite anime, so it really held my interest. Love the characters and the world so far. In fact, the only thing I didn't really like was the way the music was used in the show--the music itself was good, but sometimes I felt like it was intruding on what should've been quieter moments.

All and all, though, my favorite first episode of the season. If I can only follow one series this winter, it'll be Fractale.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I was getting the same vibe as everyone else while watching. Though I was never a big fan of Castle in the Sky so.

I enjoyed the first episode, the opening was a bit tripy but compared to the run of the mill openings we get all over the place it was a nice change in pace.

I've loved the designs since the first promo images came out so I kinda have high hopes for the other episodes.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Are yall also getting a Nausicaa vibe because Phryne appeared on a glider? Laughing
child of Lilith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I got more of a Fantastic Children vibe from this show then anything else.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I mentioned on another forum that the chapel towards the end of the episode looked Irish to me and someone else posted links saying that it does appear to be Ireland after all, just compare these two images which I think is pretty neat, can't remember the last time I saw an anime set in Ireland.

Anyway, the first episode didn't grip me as much as I hoped but it looks like it'll have interesting world building and if it's streaming then I really don't have an excuse to not watch it.
SgtMustang

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:48 am Reply with quote
off to a decent start
~~EpiC~~

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I mentioned on another forum that the chapel towards the end of the episode looked Irish to me and someone else posted links saying that it does appear to be Ireland after all, just compare these two images which I think is pretty neat, can't remember the last time I saw an anime set in Ireland.

I watched the episode earlier today, and as soon as we got around that part, my friend starting seeing the Irish and Celtic references. It's funny that other folks noticed it, too.

Overall, I'm really excited about this series. I totally agree with most everyone else, it has a style that is very reminiscent of Miyazaki. Laputa, and to a lesser extent, Nausicaa, seem to have influenced this heavily. There are parallels that can't be ignored. I also felt some Kino's Journey influence throughout. It's definitely purposeful, and I really enjoyed the references. It's one of the reasons I'm so excited about the show.

Now I will agree that it was a very safe episode. It stuck closely to already established tropes. However, it hinted at some extremely interesting ground and the storytelling was excellently executed. I feel as if the writers have built a very cliche base for the purpose of transcending those tropes into what they always could (or should) have been. I think the potential in this show is staggering. I just hope they take advantage of it. I'll be keeping my eye on this.
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:00 am Reply with quote
More evidence of the Irish setting would be the ending theme. Down by the Salley Gardens is a very old Celtic ballad.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:58 am Reply with quote
I noticed the ending to. But I knew it right off the bat because I had to sight read a piece of music that was based off that same song a few years back.

I mean I don't mind an Irish setting, it's different.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:34 am Reply with quote
Fairly certain this is set in Ireland- the police are driving a car that says "Garda" on it, which is the name of the Irish police force. Plus, the architecture and landscapes are immediately recognizable as belonging to the west coast of Ireland. It's kind of surreal seeing the country I live in as an anime setting, even if it a century in the future.

My feelings on this episode were fairly mixed. I like the premise and the art style, but the characters seem fairly one-note. I'm really hoping the magic pendant girl doesn't turn into an annoying moe protagonist. Also, that shrill blonde haired girl made me want to pull my fingernails out, although admittedly the bit where they kept showing up in different disguises was pretty funny.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next episode, and I'll probably keep watching just to see where the sci-fi concepts go, but I really want some better characterization out of this.

Quote:
I don't know if it's just me but I get a vibe that this is about a dystopian society.

It's certainly got the potential to go that way.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:25 am Reply with quote
Where are the characters from the promotional art?

Anyway, not sure about this. It is enjoyable, yes, but I'm not a fan of the protagonist, the girl I liked is gone, and the new one seems bratty. I find the story and setting very interesting, though. Weak start by not using it more.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I downloaded some raws of the manga to see what happens next, and it looks like my pessimism about the magic pendant girl is going to be justified- she's your typical hyper-active infantile moe girl. I find it odd that they'd put a character like that into something supposedly not aimed at anime fans, since I can't imagine mainstream viewers putting up with her.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
It's kind of surreal seeing the country I live in as an anime setting, even if it a century in the future.

I think it's a bit further ahead than that if they consider the 21st/22nd century to be ancient history (the ancient audio recording described the Fractale system as 22nd century technology, so it is either from the 22nd century or the late 21st).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12